Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Turning radius

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #1

Default Turning radius

hi, i was curious as to how the turning radius is on bulu2's, and other custom chassis' or w/e? i am curious because i do not get a very good turning radius on my tlt crawler and the onyl thing that i dont have a set of are wheel wideners. what can or could i do to solve this possible problem?

thanks for any info , later
Teh Masterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

You can almost double your turning radius by grinding a notch in the steering stop on the axle housing.....
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Homosexuality didn't do the trick?

If your turning radius was that bad why dont you just get rear Steer, you have servos, a SR and a Y harness is only 7 dollars, i even have one.

Cancer, cya

p.s.- If your front tires are already hitting the springs your not going to get any more than what you have now. First of all you need wheel wideners. The chassis is irrelivant to the turning radius. Bulu's still use TLT Axles. If you have TQ Twist It cuts it a bit.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2&I=LXGM41&P=K

Last edited by lunardaisy; 08-05-2005 at 05:03 PM.
lunardaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:28 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunardaisy
I heard blatent homosexuality does the trick but how would i know.

If your turning radius was that bad why dont you just get rear Steer.

Rear Steer?....................... That is Gay and Illegal for Comps!

Quote:
Homosexuality didn't do the trick?

p.s.- If your front tires are already hitting the springs your not going to get any more than what you have now. First of all you need wheel wideners. The chassis is irrelivant to the turning radius.
Or you could get Offset Wheels, or Narrow the ones you have, or move the links Wheel Wideners are on the gay side too if you ask me (unless you like draggin your diffs on Rock? )

Here is the end Result............. Much Better Turning Radius

JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:52 PM   #5

thanks a lot for the info jake , i will try that out.

later
Old 08-05-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

I noticed a few of teh guys in ORCRC have rear steer. And where we live we live there are 3 people that i know of that have rock crawlers so a comp is not something any of us two will be entering.

The tires are already glued so... I guess you cloud narrow the wheels but wheel wideners would do the same thing and for 6 dollars a pair.. Who cares?

Im a little sceptical on shaving the knuckles... They slop around alot already.

Thanks Cya

P.s.- These are rock Crawlers, not 1/8 buggys. In the rocks you get around fine. The tires are more like rudders.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Turning radius has everything to do with wheelbase and diffs. Short wheelbase, tighter turning radius, locked diffs, wider turning radius (instantaneously).

Jake, any way you could remove a front and a rear wheel shaft so that there is a better visual difference in how much has been removed?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #8

well, i shaved the shaft area on your diagram but didnt shave the diffs. it definatly helped but i guess waht i really need are some wider offset rims and maybe some wheel wideners.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Going to half to put heavy emphasis on what PWT said. Now its just going to rub on the springs even worse until you get wheel wideners. "Month Minimum".
Old 08-05-2005, 11:12 PM   #10

heh, i jsut limited servo travel on teh controller no big deal, it will certianly do until i get some wideners :O
Old 08-05-2005, 11:16 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

When i get wideners ill look into it but until then im satisfied with what i have.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Going to half to put heavy emphasis on what PWT said. Now its just going to rub on the springs even worse until you get wheel wideners. "Month Minimum".
You could still Narrow the wheels(Cutting off some of the inside like I did in the pics above), or Move the links and or Shocks in on the axle(away from tires), with little more then some longer screws.
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I noticed a few of teh guys in ORCRC have rear steer.

Please show me who has rear steer.... they will see the back of my hand to be byotch slapped for doing wrong. I don't know of any of the ORCRC guys that use rear steer nor have servos on the rear axle. Although I only see them 1-2 a week but perhaps I missed something
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Correct me im wrong toyo but in High Rocks 5-28-05 didnt whats his name use rear steer to get out of the hole?? As i look at closer i don't see a servo but it just looks as if the tires are turning in order to orientate the truck up and out of the hole

Jake

The tires have already been peeled out of a set of wheels once. I doubt the bead would last another. I tried to mount my shocks inward but my suspension would bind. I think 1/2 " wheel wideners will be perfect.

Good Luck, Cya

Last edited by lunardaisy; 08-06-2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well I just shaved my hairy cups
Also re-countersunk the insides. NOW one should note the stock cups sit below those parts. The Blackfoots however are longer and bind on the dogs. AND stick out like in those pics.( the reason I shaved em to begin with) So now Im back to the stock turning limits. The blackfoots stopped the hubs from turning about 1mm to 1.5mm from lock. Shaving the stock cups I doubt would do anything. Cutting those stops WOULD though. Narrowing the rims is a good thing to do to I found my M2Ks grab stuff better and it does get the tyre away from links and shocks. least a little 3~4mm or so.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

here are my comments about this topic. Wideners are Gay!, rear steer is Gay! and crappy turning radius is part of crawling learn to deal. Though its a neat trick to grinding stop down. I'm also suprised they thought about the stub shaft. Though I don't think it should be legal for comps.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:16 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

hahaha, no doubt they are gay but for only 6 dollars and they solve a little problem.When i get my moabs and Ofna wheels ill narrow them but until then...

Cya
Old 08-06-2005, 11:18 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Correct me im wrong toyo but in High Rocks 5-28-05 didnt whats his name use rear steer to get out of the hole?? As i look at closer i don't see a servo but it just looks as if the tires are turning in order to orientate the truck up and out of the hole
Nope, that's just the extreme torque of the whole trucks weight being supported by 1 wheel! It's pushing on the rear lock-out linkage, causing the wheel to move a bit. It looks like it steered a little though.

Toward the end of the vid there is a TLT that has rear steer- the one with the H2 body. I'm not sure who's truck that is?

That's the only one with Rear steer I've seen around here, and he'll ditch it if he wants to compete!

Ryan

Last edited by rbgerrish; 08-06-2005 at 11:24 AM.
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:53 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
here are my comments about this topic. Wideners are Gay!, rear steer is Gay! and crappy turning radius is part of crawling learn to deal. Though its a neat trick to grinding stop down. I'm also suprised they thought about the stub shaft. Though I don't think it should be legal for comps.
how could modifying the blackfoot cup to mirrior the stock cups be illegal??? As well cutting them down is a good thing, out of bag they rub the dog that goes inside on wheel lock ( which isnt due to plastic part but do to the metal parts binding on eachother

though my tg10 set just came in so I might toss these BF parts. I prefer longer nut threads over width. nothing worse than chasing around a wheel nut cause it cant thread in enough to engage the nylon lock.
;p
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Hey jake the alligator man, what rims are those? I narrowed some traxxas rims as far as I can but they just aren't enough so I think I'll give those a try.
MaxxZilla is offline   Reply With Quote