Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Noob builds tlt-based 2.2 rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #1

Default Noob builds tlt-based 2.2 rig

Hi guys

Paul from Switzerland, first post here - I've had a TLT for a while now but I got bit bored with it, it's a fun little toy but the recent crawling craze gave me a perfect opportunity to push it to something different.

My constraints are, mostly, time, due to a busy family life and me racing EP DTM competitively, so most of the spare time is used to keep the Cyclone in top shape. I'm also pretty big into vintage RC, so basically the TLT-based crawler would not only beneficiate from tiny amounts of time, but also would not be the biggest $$$ focus. No weird adaptations or custom-made stuff for me, no 'pede tranny, low-budget and low-complexity stuff only, really.

It took me about a couple of years to gather on the internet the parts I wanted to start my project with, here they are, in no particular order... In hindsight some of these purchases were not the best ones, but hey, live and learn ;)

- Locked TLT axles with tamiya CC-01 gear diff lockers (x2)
- Aluminium servo plates, no idea what they are but fit and finish is awesome and they also hold the center links
- Tobee 32mm wideners
- locked center diff (drilled and screwed)
- Links are HPI 90mm turnbuckles... curious to see how long the will last
- Proline Moab's on traxxas 5-spoke rims, whatever they are, the cheapest I found... beadlocks were too much at the time!
- 4 Maxx shocks - will find right springs later, I have heaps of Losi springs from my offroad days years ago!
- Penguin carbon chassis -really, no functional benefit vs. stock here, just eye candy
- Moped V16R - yes, budget, but budget that actually works and has built-in drag brakes... pulled out from another car, I have heaps of ESC's anyway
- Matrix 55T lathe motor
- Extended central bones... no sliders, no time to adapt a pede tranny
- Servos will be whatever high-torque stuff I have in my parts box... looks like JR4721 and Towerpro995 rear and front - yes, 4WS rig
- Body will be a tamiya Touareg with a custom classic Martini scheme

and I'm prolly forgetting some. I will post pics as the build goes... be patient, il will take a while, as so far the axles are done and that's it! :-( I had to dremel quite a bit of the tobee axles where the bone gets in to get some decent steering throw, as the axles were hitting on the bone... this was a surprise to me!

Any comments - please shout. I will keep asking stupid q's all the time

Thanks!
Paul

Last edited by TheRealLonestar; 10-13-2008 at 05:46 AM.
TheRealLonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #2

Good luck...nice to see a fellow cyclone driver great touring car.

I know you kept saying you want to stay away from it but the pede tranny is going to be a large improvment in the long run and rly doesn't require a whole lot to make it work
shadow102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #3

Hi guys

long overdue update - the mechanics of that project are done, it took quite a bit of fiddling with the 4-link to get things to work, I am not fully happy with it as the axles do move quite a bit from side to side due to the low upper-link triangulation. Then again, it's a first attempt, with a "lo-budget" mindset. I extended some old tamiya dogbones with soldered copper tubes, curious to see if that'll withstand the torque.

Otherwise I'll ditch the whole thing, which will also allow to get rid of the stock belt transmission, and just keep the axles and buy another chassis and trans. good bye, low-budget project, I learnt a lot while building it though, the most fun part was definitely locking the center diff by drilling two screws through it that would land right in the stock spur. lots of swearing involved in that step.

Now is time to drop the radio in! Will try to post pics tonite.

Paul
Old 12-03-2008, 03:59 AM   #4

Didn't find time to upload pics... I dropped electronics in the car instead

First, the moped speedo went poof when I plugged it... no idea why, it worked last time and was cabled properly. oh well. Traxxas XL10 took its place...

... and one of my custom lengthened dogbones snapped right away at the first throttle input.

This is getting increasingly frustrating...

Paul
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a nice truck! I've never had good luck with those Mopeds either....
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #6

Thanks for the kind words - here are pix (finally!)

I MUST make this work with the stock tranny.... it's personal beef now

Do you guys think there's *any* chance these soldered dogbones will ever withstand the torque at all? :-(

Tips and comments welcome!

Paul

Last edited by TheRealLonestar; 12-03-2008 at 01:34 PM.