Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: problems with blackfoot axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 06:30 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default problems with blackfoot axles

has anyone experienced problems with the fit of blackfoot stub axles into a tlt axle

when i screw the outer hub assembly to the tlt axle the blackfoot stub axle bottoms out on the tlt inner axles and becomes very hard to rotate but if i take them hub back off it rotates freely

i can also see on the tlt inner axle where the blackfoot stub axles have been digging into them

has anyone had this problem and know a fix for it ???
XCUTIONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2005, 08:02 PM   #2
Gold Star Baby Momma!

just installed mine and I love them, I do remember someone was talking about getting more steering by clearancing the stub axle a little bit.
If yours is binding you might try that mod.
Tuffguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

well the blackfoot stubs are longer where the dogbone hooks in (behind the knuckle part, what ever that part of the stub is called)

i cut mine down to stock tlt lenght.
Just whip out the dremel and cut away
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, grind them down something like this

I used a table grinder
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i was looking at widening my tlt and was deciding between the blackfoot axles ot the inet wheel wideners.
other than cost whats the difference? how much do u gain from the blackfoot axles? are they wobbly?
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

bugger glitch lost all the typing!!
OK here I go again

What I did was used a endmill in my drill press ( this allowed me to keep the cut the same over all the parts) After that I re chamfered the insides with a countersink bit. I did this to elimanate any sharp edges that could gouge the axle dog. As well if you grind them down dont over heat the metal, if you do douce it in cold water to keep the temper. There is the chance you will weaken the metal in that area. ( hell most of you all prolly know this anyhoo, better safe than sorry right??) Other than that my only complaint on the axles is the threaded bit is too short for HPI rims. The stock lock nuts wont engage the nylon threads. I ended up using traxxas slipper locknuts. ( thinner profile)

oh yeah spacers some go through the hastle to cut em but one of the wheel bushings and a canti bushing are near perfect to space things out the canti bushing rides right on the inner race of the BBs without hitting the outer parts! Its hack but heh cheap *** and a lazy solution!
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Yes, they have to be grinded down to stock dog bone cup depth. Then you will have to space the wheel adapter out like the pic above. I used the cantilever bushing from the cantilever arms that I removed to space out the adpater. They fit the axle perfectly and they are a bushing so if they spin they won't wear as much as a piece of plastic would.
jwrape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 05:53 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

well i havn't cut mine down yet but i do not believe that is the problem

reason i say that is because when i try to screw down the 2 screws that hold and allow the hub carrier to move is very hard to tighten down
it feels like the screw cross threads in the plastic but they don't

if you had read my original post i believe that the blackfoot axles are not sitting far enough inside the hub carrier which is cause the assembly to bind up and become very hard to turn

i did forget to mention that when i have the axle assembled with the bf axles it is difficult to turn the tranny side drive shaft

when i looked closer at the bf axle there is a lip that is located in between the shaft and the axle carrier
i think if i remove this lip it will allow the axle to seat farther into the hub carrier and eliminate the bind
Old 08-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUTIONER
reason i say that is because when i try to screw down the 2 screws that hold and allow the hub carrier to move is very hard to tighten down
it feels like the screw cross threads in the plastic
make sure you have the knuckle on the right way. Where the 2 bolts screw in the top nub of the knuckle is shorter than the bottom.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:06 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I think you got the steering knuckles backwards or upside down. The blackfoot axles shoulndt bind, say for the rear with fixed steering. If the axle is shoved so far against the axle bones there is something getting hung up between the blackfoot cup and the bearings.

There is a slight rake to the knuckles. ones labled c1 go on the left c2 on the right. Its the only thing I can think of thats the issue. PICs might help us see what the issue is.

As well that small lip or bump out is to engage the bearing race DONT mill it down. That will cause the face of the cup to drag against the bearings face destroying the bearing and prolly the BF axle.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:15 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleOne
make sure you have the knuckle on the right way. Where the 2 bolts screw in the top nub of the knuckle is shorter than the bottom.

that was it

i did not know that the hub carriers had a different shape with the top and bottom nubs

thanks for the help