Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Crash clan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

So once that was done I totaly tore the chassis apart, drilled some needed holes and clearanced a couple items then filed and sanded the chassis. Once that was done I assembled the chassis for the last time.

Once that was done it was time to get the coilovers setup. The rears were pretty straight forward and did my typical mount..

So now the rear was finally sitting on its own.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2009, 12:32 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

It was time to do the front coilovers. Unlike my last setup--I decided to give the front some more droop for helping in the typical breakover stuff we see at comps.

But its finally sitting on its own for the first time..

One thing I also wanted to do--inboard the front coilovers so to help with tire rub against them since I am going to be able to turn pretty sharp.
In doing so I used the double tlt mount which raised the mount of the coilover and causing a fitment issue with the servo/battery plate. I was able to notch it and make it fit.

But I am finally able to see the end of the tunnel on mine..

Old 01-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #43
Rock Crawler

great work on your rigs.
great fabrication skills.
iwantoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantoffroad View Post
great work on your rigs.
great fabrication skills.

Thanks--I try to do the same quality work on these lil things as I do with customers rigs..
Old 01-08-2009, 11:52 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Ok still putting along..

So here is the new power source. 2s 1300mah lipo's.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Ok I finally got the dig linkage done. It really turned out perfect--its a nice straight shot from the servo to the dig.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Next step--the electronics..

I love the fact of how much smaller the spectrum reciever is compared to the traxxas. So like katelyns I went and took some lexan and made mounts for both the reciever and ESC.

I was able to really get the ESC down into the chassis and still access the programing button.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

And here sits the lipo in its proper location. I have velcro on the plate and lipo along with a strip around the lipo (also helps retain the wires) and its really sturdy and doesn't budge..

So I got the body/body mounts done and the body onto the rig. Its getting really close. I got my new wheels today so time to get the that done, then paint the kids bodys

Old 01-10-2009, 12:10 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Ok--so I got the new tires mounted up to the wheels..

So all thats left on mine is to fix the hex issue in the rear and throw the new RCP ring/pinions in the diffs, figure out my new radio and adjust the servo's. Plus I have a lil charging issue I need to figure out...
Old 01-10-2009, 12:13 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Ok well I finally got a color scheme figured out for katelyn's body. So did some final cutting, taped it up and painted it up. Here is how it turned out (and she was stoked about it--even with recovering from surgery)

So all thats left on hers is to dial in the radio to the servo's and its ready. I told her we can take it out tommorow and she was pretty excited--as long as she is up to it...
Old 01-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Ok I got kyles body stripped and threw some paint on it. Did a similar paint scheme except I changed the paint lines. Kyle loved it...

So I went and got both kids rigs dialed in (program the ESC, adjusted dig and steering servo's) and they are ready to rock....

Now just mine to finish
Old 01-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Ok so I ripped my axles apart and threw in the RCP goodies so the axles are as strong as you can get.

So next was to dial mine in/play with the new radio. After some reading and adjusting I was able to make the rig move!!!!! So now all 3 rigs sit ready to go play with..

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #53
Keep it real

Nice, happy family of crawlers there Mike, can only be good times with the kidlets now
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

Default Thats awesome

Right on Mike nice job,
Like Nathan said the family of Crawlers
see ya on the 18th
fourxhondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Ok I got a wild hair and decided to change my steering. Have wanted to do this but didn't think it would work with how far over the servo was. Well it works perfect.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Well I asked my lil girl katelyn if she wanted to head out and practice to get ready for the comp next weekend. She's still not feelling 100% but wanted to buzz around the house. She found her stuffed animals could go on rides,lol..

Hoping tommorow she is more up to it--and will take her out for some practice time..
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

So I went out and started trying to dial my rig in when I popped the rear mip driveshaft off 2 times. This is when I found the output galled up pretty good(shaft was perfect)

So I was able to flip the rig over and get into the area with a file. The output on the DNA dig has 2 good flat spots that were rounded off now--so I just worked those areas with the file and again has 2 flat spots that were a lil deeper. The MIP shafts also only come with one set screw per side--but I went and doubled that up. I also took the 2 set screws and filed them flat so when tighted they had more bite against the output shaft. That trick seemed to work as it never fell off again...
Old 01-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

So I ended up running for a couple hours, and found I only needed to tweek the front coilovers/spring setup. The rest of the rig is working perfect. And the new DNA dig--I can't say enough about it coming from what I thought was a good dig tranny(R2). I was able to engage and dissengage at any point--and each and every time it worked 100%. pretty happy about that..

But here are a couple of pics from my practice area.

But I have a lil more tweeking on the new radio and front end tommorow and should be ready..
Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
Nice, happy family of crawlers there Mike, can only be good times with the kidlets now
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourxhondo View Post
Right on Mike nice job,
Like Nathan said the family of Crawlers
see ya on the 18th
Thanks nathen and rob...

Ya--kids are pretty stroked now...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #60
Keep it real

You did locktite the MIPs....right?:-P
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote