Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Alternative axle link location...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Alternative axle link location...

Many of you may have already seen this on some of the other TLT sites, but I thought I'd post it up here if some of you don't go anywhere else for information on the TLT.

Since my truck is only used as a rockcrawler, I wanted the most axle clearance as possible. With this in mind it means moving your links up from the bottom of the axle to give you more clearance.

I moved the top link mounting brackets to the side of the axle, and the bottom link mounting brackets to the top of the axle. The new side mounts use the two outside holes that are used to hold the axle together. I had to dremel a little bit of the material off of the axle, but the end result works great and looks factory.

This also gave me a new mounting location for my shocks so both links and the shocks still have thier own mounting holes.

Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Alternative axle link location...

thanks for the post! I'm going to get a tlt soon and this is the only site I know of for info. great mod! I keep hearing about the center diff stripping is that true?
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I didn't have any major problems with my differential when I had the stock transmission in my truck. I ran two screws through it and JB welded it together so it was never coming apart.

With the TLT you don't ever need a center differential and anybody that owns one should lock it up when the build it.

The rest of the transmission held up fairly well to crawling. I would suggest you put a belt tensioner on it (search this site for how to do that). With the belt tensioner and a locked center differential it's a fairly tough transmission.

I however wanted traxxas sliders on my truck so I could get more center clearance. So I made a custom chassis out of Delrin plastic and droped a Stampede tranny in my truck.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:29 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Wookie,

How did you get the sliders to work with the TLT axles? Did you have to change the outdrives or modify them in some way? Let me know. I want to do that to my TLT.

Thanks

Clark
SupermanWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 08:05 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

First of all I installed a Stampede tranny, though there are ways you can use your stock tranny if you wanted to.

To get the sliders to fit the axles, all I did was remove the stock drive cup, put a metal Traxxas Stampede U-Joint on the axle and tighten it down. It's a perfect fit and really easy to do.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Great info Wookie. I've been scratchin my head on how to change the locations, this way is easy and clean. What other sites are there for TLT info?
BigSmokinGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 11:17 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Other sites for TLT information are:

www.one18th.com
www.yourmicro.com

One18th has some good information and is more active than your micro.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wookie,

Aren't the cups part of the shaft that goes into the axle? How did you just remove the cup? I can't imagine. Fill me in on the info.

Thanks

Clark
Old 08-27-2004, 11:38 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

On my TLT the drive cups are attached to the axle with a allen head set screw. If you loosen that scew the drive cup pulls off of the axle.

With the stock transmission you will need to replace the differential with a Traxxas 4-Tech differential, make your own custom spool or drop a Traxxas transmission in.

I'll try and take some pictures of my axle set up tonight when I get home.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info.

Clark