Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: 4x4 stampede crawler questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 4x4 stampede crawler questions

Ok, after seeing all of the guys modify their independent suspension emaxx's into solid axle, rock crawling beasts, I got thinking. I know everyone always asks this question, but if I were to lock the diffs, GD600 gear reductions, and lock the independent suspension, would it work alright? I was thinking of narrowing the width, instead of using stock rear arms I would use either traxxas bandit or traxxas nitro rustler rear arms. But I wonder why nobody has done this? You will have the diff clearance due to the angled arms (just like the maxx crawlers) and you would have the motors directly on the gearbox's for a lower cg (like the clodbuster) And I have always wanted a rock crawler, but I never get a chance to purchase any sort of axled truck or axles in general, but seeing that I already have the trannies and parts, I figured why not ask around for others opinions, and maybe give it a shot? Anybody have a say on this? Thanks for your time!
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 4x4 stampede crawler questions

yeah i started on a 4x4 straight axle pede project but never finished it. it would work fine just most people dont do it because it will require alot of work when they can just go buy a clod axle. Someone over at the traxxas board has already done a straight axle pede. I think he almost has like 90 degrees of articulation. It was pretty sweet. You should have no problem do this. The only thing you might have problems with the link mounts and all that takes is a little thinkin.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i built a pede crawler about 3-4 months back,first i used the a arms locked with tie rods to the upper link mountbuilt a chassis and i didnt like it.so i tore it down again and made straight axles with aluminum square tube (very difficult with out the propper tools) and mounted gd 600 reductions on it. pede shafts connot hold that torque so they would snap so often. the link mounts and steering are the easyest part of the build up.

basicly youd be putting all your time tooling and money to waste on it even when it does work ints not near the level of a (real)maxx crawler clod txt or x factor or even a tlt
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:05 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

1 problem is that the pede axles are not up to the task really with the torque. i run a pede trans turned sideways in a mutant truck i built for my son to play with. when i geared it down low, it would snap the ears of the half shafts everytime. but if your set on doing it( which can be done) you always have a few options. but sounds like your wanting to narrow it and this option may not work..

anyway, you could always jump up to running Maxx halfshafts instead the small pede shafts. then you would need to use maxx knuckles. there is a post of a guys crawler on here( i'll see if i can find it) but he made some custom Maxx axles, bent the ends and then connected his knuckles that way. so you could make a axle housing around the Pede trans, then use the maxx stuff from the trans out.( damn that sounds like a pretty good project now ) but i'll try to find the pic for ya and hopefully you can understand what im trying to say
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Colt Python/SR9c

here is the guys post http://www.rccrawler.com/postt2036.html

if you look at his axles, you can make something like that around the pede trans possibly and can make the arms any length ya want and cut the Maxx halfshafts down to what size ya need.

or you could just use the Pede stuff if ya want. its all up to you, just throwing out brainless ideas
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah the maxx shafts are alot stronger only problem is they dont bolt up to the pede transmission. You would have to come up with some kind of adaptor which would cost alot more then just gettin the metal replacements for the outputs on the pede shafts.

http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk4/rcstuff/

check out jays emaxx. If you can braze that website should give you some ideas. If you cant and actually have the funds to go buy a torch (or already have one) i would recommend you get a torch and learn how. All the stuff on that web site is made with brazing. Its cheap, easy, and can make great work like on that site.
Old 08-29-2004, 07:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ive got a solution to the maxx yokes fiting on the pede tranny, if you have or had a gd600 reduction take the aluminum prop mount that comes on it and it slides directly onto the pede outputs just tighten the set screw.
file or turn down the shaft and drill a hole through it to put the pin through and your set. im runing that set up on my hybrid straight axle maxx crawler with revo shafts off the pede tranny so it should work with maxx sliders.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have a custom dogbone driveline on my Pede. I would have liked to keep the sliders, but I destroyed them the first time I rebuilt my tranny, so I had to go with something else. The 'bones have easily held up to both a Novak SS and a Lehner 5300 on 7 GP3300 cells during my runs (aka: "beatings"), could they possibly be worked into the design you guys are talking about?
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:56 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

the problem with the dogbones is that most trucks need the driveshaft to telescope as the suspension cycles up and down unless your very good with 4 link geomety its not the best but with proper engineering it can be done well.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

hey sambmx got any pics of the maxx shaft conversion thing?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:54 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

i need a new digi camera but all you do is drill out the maxx yoke slide it on the prop shaft drill the hole where the pin goes through , slide the prop shaft on the pede output and tighten the setscrew
Old 09-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

have you had any problems with it? like its being flimsy or not staying together?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:52 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

seems good so far, lasted a week so far
Old 09-01-2004, 06:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well now that you guys say it isnt worth the money, Im just going to keep a pede and try to score some tlt axles for a decent price. I wished it wouldve worked out well, because I have all the parts, and It would have been nice seeing that not too many have pede crawlers, but I guess I see why now. Thanks for all your help, but I do have one question. People run 2wd and 4wd maxxopede's and clodopede's with no driveshaft problems. Why if I turned it into a crawler would that make it any different? I was even thinking of sticking wooden dowels inside the hollow shaft to strengthen it also.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

You are correct. If you were not running the pede drive shaft in a high torque situation then it would probably be fine but if you went to a really high torque i have seen them twist and the splines go to a spiral pattern.

Dont be completly discouraged. If you cant find the tlt axles then if i were you i would go for it. Just because its not the best solution doesnt mean it wont work for you. Like on the tv show monster gerage. Makin a school bus float isnt the best way to make a boat but it worked for them
Old 09-02-2004, 12:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Well I actually have a guy interested in one of my pede rollers and my clod wheel/tire adapters, and Im definitely keeping one pede for general bashing. So I guess the crawler is out of the question