Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New rubber for my VMG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 08:08 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default New rubber for my VMG

Hey guys, I have been so incredibly busy here at college. I did however find a hobbytown usa here in town (5 min away woot) and picked up some new tires and wheels for my venom... Well... I decided the wheels I didn't need, but I did come up with this... I still need to do some more work, including the fronts... but I like what I have so far... Best part is each tire took only 10min or so to do:

In case you are wondering, the wheelbase will be extended, the 3 link will be changed to a 4 link, I will run axle mounted servo, and I don't know where the batts will go yet... I am going to run a 1:16 or so body, just need to find a good one.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2004, 09:16 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New rubber for my VMG

Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:28 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

y u laughin cutter? i think its PIMP
KidWithAcrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It does look pretty funny... but no, I didn't just throw the new tires over the old ones, like was done with the TLT tires in another post. I actually cut the sidewalls off the old VMG tires and tacked them on the new tires. I need to get that rubber bonding glue that dirk uses to finish them.

Besides, anyone with a crawler knows that function always hails over form.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:04 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Dude, it doesn't take a crawler to know that! I got ghetto rigged stuff even on my Lehner 5300 powered E-Pede that's done 40 easily, it's just stuff that won't get killed by the power of that thing in any way!

I got some Dirt Hawg buggy tires for my 4wd buggy-converted HPI MT, they got some good grip. I have never tested them on rocks, but they hook up on asphalt, loose dirt, sand, and gravel pretty good, just don't try to hit the blue groove with them. It's pretty sad how little grip they get on that surface.
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
It does look pretty funny... but no, I didn't just throw the new tires over the old ones, like was done with the TLT tires in another post. I actually cut the sidewalls off the old VMG tires and tacked them on the new tires. I need to get that rubber bonding glue that dirk uses to finish them.

Hey..hey... that was me with the tlt tires. I wasnt planning on keeping it that way. I just wanted to see how it would look with them on. still cant figure out the best way to mount them tires on..Only if I had access to a drill press them I would be good so I'm trying to figure out the vest way using a drill and a dremmel...
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Its ok, even if you threw them over, that truck would kick my trucks butt from here to shanghai.... and that's a long ways away.

Anyway, I imagine you could do the same thing I did. The buggy tires are 2.2, and if you cut just outside of the very outter part of the lugs you get a circle that fits right inside the tire bead of the 2.2's. What I did was I cut the VMG tires in half then cut a slit in to the point mentioned above, then with one finger pulled on the center tred section to keep it taught while I cut with the other hand. After the first tire, I got quicker and quicker. My last tire took 3 minutes to do. Now its just waiting for the glue to cure.

But thats if you want to use the stock wheels/and part of the tires. It sounds like you want to mount the entire tire/rim from the TLT.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:08 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Its ok, even if you threw them over, that truck would kick my trucks butt from here to shanghai.... and that's a long ways away.

Anyway, I imagine you could do the same thing I did. The buggy tires are 2.2, and if you cut just outside of the very outter part of the lugs you get a circle that fits right inside the tire bead of the 2.2's. What I did was I cut the VMG tires in half then cut a slit in to the point mentioned above, then with one finger pulled on the center tred section to keep it taught while I cut with the other hand. After the first tire, I got quicker and quicker. My last tire took 3 minutes to do. Now its just waiting for the glue to cure.

But thats if you want to use the stock wheels/and part of the tires. It sounds like you want to mount the entire tire/rim from the TLT.
I was actually thinking about cutting the stock tire and gluing it on the tlt tire but I want us to be able to mount different tire and rim to the truck using some type of converter. Using plastic parts, I was able to mount the TLT tires but after about 5 mins of bashing / crawling, it came off so I did not even bother posting it. I actually narrowed the stock tires and it made a big difference when crawling. I'll post pics when I get a chance
beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

They're done! The IC-2000 is like rubber weld.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

like that it loooks like bigfoot #5 i think it is.. that has the 10 foot tall snow tractor tires. looks nice.
nodnarb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Once I get the wheels narrowed and the wheelbase extended it should look alot better. It still has enough power to wheelie though. And thats with bushings and the stock motor
Old 11-06-2004, 01:54 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I think they look great!

I am just not clear on how the tread is mounted to the sidewalls. Are they just glued on to the tires bead? do you have any pics of them half together?
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 08:55 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Basically if you cut right at the edge of the tread, the sidewall should fit almost exactly on the bead of the buggy tires. Then just glue them with some IC2000. I put down 3 tacks of super glue to make sure it didn't move while drying.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

How soft/flexable are they?

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2004, 06:49 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ok, I built a set of these. However, the tires hit the truck when the suspension flexes. Do you not have that problem?

Can you post some pics of the suspension flexed and the tires next to the body? Thanks!
Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well, I no longer have a stock wheelbase or stock body. I didn't run it with the body on really. I don't have any problems now though. How do you have the tires mounted to the wheels?
Old 11-18-2004, 11:48 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

They were just on the rim mounted to the outside bead and about 3/4 to the inside. I put stock tires back on. I can't decide if I want to extend the wheelbase or not. I really like it the way it is now. I think I am happy with it on the stock tires.