Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project copperhead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2004, 10:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project copperhead

Well i was gonna wait until i finished but it looks like its gonna be a while until i get my body from radioshack (no your eyes arent goin bad that does say radioshack) so i decided to go ahead and post some pics. Most of the parts on the truck are either going to be made of copper or paint copper.

parts made of copper:
electronics tray and battery holder
copper pipe covers the links

parts paint copper:
body
chassis
possible rims (havent decided)

All the copper parts will be soaked in salt and vinegar until they are as shiny as a brand new penny then polished with brass-o and coated with clear coat.

Heres some articulation shots.

Thats with the stock tranny basically all i had done was lift it.

pede tranny! woo hoo!!

BOO YAH!!! FULL 90 DEGREES!!!

Tamiya paint cans under opposite wheels.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2004, 01:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Project copperhead

Looks good so far. Can't wait to see it copper'd out.... Its gonna look like the OCC liberty bike

Why do you have different shock mounting locations on your chassis? What body are you getting, or is that secret? And don't be ashamed, the body for my VMG is coming from a toys r us toy
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The shock mounts arent perement. The rear has to be done like the front. There was already a hole where the rears mounted so i just bolted it there for now.

The body is from a radio shack truck called a mangler bronco.

Yeah i got the idea from the show TRUCKS where he did a project called copper head and most of the parts were coated with a copper paint. I liked it so i decided to model my truck after his.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:12 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Did you do anything to the Pede tranny to strengthen it? If not, I'd say you at least need an aluminum idler, the plastic one blows up easily.

That thing looks so cool, especially with the 90* articulation! There's a guy at our Hobby People with a TLT that he stretched and put Imex Pullers on, it's pretty crazy!
dabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

That shoudl look really shiny , but you are going to need Stampede drive shafts like these, to top it off.

Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

ive had the pede for 4 years i know all bout the tranny problems. Its got an alum idler and a alum diff is on the way.

I plan to use maxx shafts. I was told you can make adaptors pretty easy so im gonna give that a try.

Anyone know if revo shafts bolt up like maxx shafts? Like if they are the same size?

As an update my dad just got home from work and found some copper sheet that he might be able to get for me from his work. He said he doesnt know if its will be thick enough but if it is im going to redo the chassis out of copper.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Revo shafts will mount up just like Maxx shafts. The stock Revo shafts are quite long though, and unless you make a really long truck they will probably have to be cut down a little.

As for the shafts, I was just saying you need to cover them, not necessarily use extended pede shafts. You can take a piece of brass or copper tubing and slide it over the stock shaft regardless of whether you use pede, maxx or revo shafts. It would just be a compliment to the rest of the truck.
Wookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #8

Wouldn't copper bend and dent easially? But I look at a periodic table and its heavier that copper. IDK
BushWacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

when copper is very thin it does bend and dent easily. But the thickness i am using is more than strong enough for any pressure i could possible put on it.

As for the chassis copper my dad found i dont know if that will be thick enough yet. I will have to wait until he can bring it home.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

If its thin, you could just cut it out like the chassis and bolt it on over your chassis. Therefore, the chassis would look copper (and actually be copper to an extent), and would be as strong as aluminum is
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ahhhhhhhh

my dad took the tin sheers to work today and cut me a small piece of the copper just so i could see if it was worth it. Unfortunatly it is to thin to work well as a chassis but is to thick to bolt up without havin to get longer screws. Why cant stuff just work right the first time? anyway got the battery tray soldered together last night. Looks pretty good. Still need to do some triming to get it to fit perfect. I got out our can of clear coat thats a year or two old. Did a test spray on a piece of copper and noticed the clear wasnt so clear. Its gotten a yellow tint to it. Im guessing this has something to do with it being stored outside in the mississippi weather for about two years. Anyway put clear coat on the wally-world list so should get that pretty soon. Will get pics as soon as i finish the battery tray.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:02 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I agree with Customcrawler, cut your chassis out of aluminum, then cut a duplicate out of copper to bolt on the outside. Maybe just get alot thinner copper to make it not so thick.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote