Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My first try at a TLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #1

Default My first try at a TLT

Ok, so after soaking up as much info from here as possible and then trying some of my own ideas (kinda) here's what I put together.

I do have some issues with it, so comments/critisizm is more then welcome (just keep in mind this is just my first)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0211.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0210.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0209.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0208.jpg

BTW the issues are: the chassis twists bad when driving when I go forward, it pulls the left rear down, and when I reverse the front right gets pulled down. Any ideas aer definately welcome.

Last edited by lukej6009; 10-22-2005 at 07:30 PM.
lukej6009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2005, 07:40 PM   #2

what kinda motor are you running? and is the center diff. locked? what transmission are u useing? and is it when you take off fast? mine does the same think when i take off fast. imk
tlt_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Okay, for starters, good beginning. Here are a couple things to look at.

1. Either swith to MAXX sliders or get the metal Traxxas yokes for the axles. You will destroy the plastic ones in no time.

2. The torqueing can be reduced greatly buy lowering your CG and standing the shocks up.

3. Try getting your hands on a set of MAXX shocks. You can find them almost anywhere, cheap, and you can change the springs. In other words, get rid of the TLT stock shocks.

The correct angle on the shocks, slightly stiffer springs on the new shocks, and getting those electronics lower will help get rid of the twisting.

Get some pics to us after you get the changes done
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:19 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

it twist to the left cause the shock are too soft.

do what rd40 said and get some maxx shocks. i wouldnt go metal yet unless you brake the plastic ones more then 2 times.
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
Okay, for starters, good beginning. Here are a couple things to look at.

1. Either swith to MAXX sliders or get the metal Traxxas yokes for the axles. You will destroy the plastic ones in no time.

WHY THE HELL DOES EVERY ONE SAY DITCH THE PLASTIC YOKES!!!! i have been running my tlt for over 5 months and i havnt hand ANY PROBLEMS with my yokes and i beat the crap out of my truck... you just have to take the time to put them on right u lazy ***

Suggestions on torque twist.
Move your upper link mounts on your chassis down toward the lower links... I have mine at the same spot

good start tho... keep it up
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 02:09 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies, I don't know what the motor is, it isnt labeled I was just assuming its the stock pede motor, since thats where all the electronics/tranny came from (found a killer deal on a used one). All the diff's are locked, and it doesn't matter how fast I take off it always toques.

I did just get my maxx shocks in the mail, same light blue springs as nd4spdbh. I'll try moving the upper links down and mounting the maxx shocks a little different. Also right now I have about 4" clearance in the center, I'll try getting that closer to 3". But I wanna keep my 11 1/2" wheelbase cause it fits that body real nice.

Thanks again, I'll post pics soon with the updates.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

lukej6009, use the plastic ones if you like, but take it from a guy that has to this point built 6 different shafties. I have also ran MANY Traxxas vehicles over the past decade with the plastic yokes, (boats, trucks, touring cars, and crawlers) they will fail.

Think of the load those yokes are under. I have split the plastic ones one a stock Rustler jumping curbs. On my Nitro 4-TEC I was going through at least one per race before I switched to the metal ones. My boat would kill one every time the boat jumped a wave.

It has nothing to do with being a lazy ***. It has to do with building a truck you can take out in the middle of no where and not worrying about breaking.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:24 PM   #8

Yeah, I think one of them has a minor split already from the abuse in the stampede, I'm just gonna run them till they break then prolly go metal. But for now no need to replace them.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
lukej6009, use the plastic ones if you like, but take it from a guy that has to this point built 6 different shafties. I have also ran MANY Traxxas vehicles over the past decade with the plastic yokes, (boats, trucks, touring cars, and crawlers) they will fail.

Think of the load those yokes are under. I have split the plastic ones one a stock Rustler jumping curbs. On my Nitro 4-TEC I was going through at least one per race before I switched to the metal ones. My boat would kill one every time the boat jumped a wave.

It has nothing to do with being a lazy ***. It has to do with building a truck you can take out in the middle of no where and not worrying about breaking.
Keep in mind that if the stress doesn't snap a yoke, that stress is going somewhere else. I'd rather snap a yoke than blow/snap an axle or dust my tranny. Maybe you'd get lucky and just twist a slider.
Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

HAHA, I made the male half of the slider out of aliminum. No more twisting.

You can kind of see the male hlf of the slider on the rear is made of alum. I will get a better shot of them tonight
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 AM   #11

Ok, so made a couple changes with the suggestions and here's what I came up with.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0218.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0217.jpg

If it wasn't for the shocks being so stiff, this link setup is capable of much more articulation then before. As of right now I lost some of my articulation, the shocks don't come anywhere near bottoming out. Any suggestions on how to get some of that articulation back?

Forgot to mention, now it's down do about 3 1/4" center clearance and 12" wheelbase.

Last edited by lukej6009; 10-24-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej6009
If it wasn't for the shocks being so stiff, this link setup is capable of much more articulation then before. As of right now I lost some of my articulation, the shocks don't come anywhere near bottoming out. Any suggestions on how to get some of that articulation back?
I was having that problem with my shocks, but I angled them more and it worked wonders.
Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej6009
Ok, so after soaking up as much info from here as possible and then trying some of my own ideas (kinda) here's what I put together.

I do have some issues with it, so comments/critisizm is more then welcome (just keep in mind this is just my first)

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0211.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0210.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0209.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c2...9/000_0208.jpg

BTW the issues are: the chassis twists bad when driving when I go forward, it pulls the left rear down, and when I reverse the front right gets pulled down. Any ideas aer definately welcome.
Is this also your last try? I hope so.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 12:02 PM   #14

I love you too Dirk
Old 10-24-2005, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie76
I was having that problem with my shocks, but I angled them more and it worked wonders.
Yeah, after looking at some more pics throughout these forums, angling them more was gonna be my next attempt. Also I was gonna swap out the blue springs for the factory red maxx springs.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:12 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

I run the Losi red 2.5 springs on my TLT, works great for me. It get good articulation but rebounds nicely.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #17

Well I got the shocks repositioned and now it articulates much better. I'll prolly just leave the light blue ones on there. Thanks for all the help.