Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: top-heavy TLT "crawler"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2005, 05:33 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default top-heavy TLT "crawler"

http://tamiyaclub.com/xforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25086

not only does it have the stock TLT chassis, but he pastes the Wrangler hardbody AND chassis on top of it, and rolls a set of All-T's under it, AND the battery sits even higher than it does in the TLT.

nice lookin' but ...

Last edited by microgoat; 11-19-2005 at 05:40 AM.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2005, 07:47 AM   #2

Thunk!
RIPPER357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That thing looks...okay I guess, but I bet it handles like a fat kid running on ice. No matter how many times he saves himself from going down, when he does, its going to be hard(funny to, but thats just me).
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

thats tall as hell than clean a** body is gonna get trashed. it looks like he left the wrangler chassis on the body and just screwed it to the tlt.looks ok but not functional at all.itll fall like a tree in the woods.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #5

I guess it's more satisfying to criticize than provide constructive feedback. In creating my truck, my intention is to show what Tamiya could make. To answer a few questions posed in this thread.

The battery sits only 6MM higher than the stock TLT.

The tires look cool but they are too tall and impractical for any crazy crawling.

Yes the body will get thrashed if it ever rolled but so will any other body.

And in the whole grand scheme of things, the TLT chassis is a poor choice to even make a good crawler from. Clod buster axles are a better choice as you don’t have to deal with the driveshaft torque inherent in the TLT design.
shodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Well put shodog!!!!

By the way "what a nice body you have"
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Constuctive huh, you are in the wrong place for that. Any TLT that still has the battery on top of the chassis is a cr*p design. I don't care if you are crawling, jumping, mudding or bashing, cr*p.

And on the TLT/Clod thing, apples to oranges. Crawling isn't just a single faceted corner of the RC world. Not like touring cars, on-road oval, and buggy/stadium truck racing where all the vehicals are the same basic design, just made by different companies. People like that there is a differance in what kind or truck you run.

People around here bag on others, its something to do. Don't take it to heart, if they smell fear, they will attack
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodog
I guess it's more satisfying to criticize than provide constructive feedback. In creating my truck, my intention is to show what Tamiya could make. To answer a few questions posed in this thread.
Here's some advise, tear it apart and throw away everything but the axles, body, and tires. Sell the tires.

Quote:
The battery sits only 6MM higher than the stock TLT.
Only 6MM? Your right, when it's ~4" to high to begin with, what's another 6MM? :?

Quote:
The tires look cool but they are too tall and impractical for any crazy crawling.
The tires don't look cool on that rig, not scale at all.

Quote:
Yes the body will get thrashed if it ever rolled but so will any other body.
True

Quote:
And in the whole grand scheme of things, the TLT chassis is a poor choice to even make a good crawler from. Clod buster axles are a better choice as you don’t have to deal with the driveshaft torque inherent in the TLT design.
My TLT would spank a 2.2 Clod in 95% of crawling situations.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
That thing looks...okay I guess, but I bet it handles like a fat kid running on ice. No matter how many times he saves himself from going down, when he does, its going to be hard(funny to, but thats just me).
now thats some funny stuff right there
Nice show queen shodog.
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I think you guys have forgot two things:

1:Shodog, never posted it here, thus he did not ask for your opinions.

2: He never claimed it was a crawler or performance oriented in the first place.

All it takes is someone desperate enough for attention to post it and a few people bored enough to rag on it without considering the situation :neutral:
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

"Fat kid running on ice"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am still laughing my butt off.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:07 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

True, i took the liberty of posting it here and labeling it a crawler. it was after all photographed on rocks.

I can't imagine it would be that satisfying to drive on anything but a pool table. As a static model, very nice looking, but in the words of Zaphod Beeblebrox, "10 out of 10 for style but minus several thousand for common sense." It would have to drive like a second-gen Explorer with another Explorer strapped to the roof. Stock TLT's are tippy enough and under-damped with a Lexan body, i can only imagine what it would drive like with a hardbody and CC chassis parked on top. Maybe TXT or Twin Force axles would be wide enough to keep it on all four wheels. Maybe not.

Shodog, i apologize if i offended you, but you must admit that it's way top heavy unless you milled the holy hell out of that chassis in the process of fitting it.

For my part, i'll admit that it LOOKS great.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #13

The whole center section of the XC chassis is gone so really it's not much weight at all. The body is heavy though as with all hard bodies. the Stock TLT dampers are not up to task. they need to be replaced with some beefier ones. eventually this truck is going to get a make over. I plan on going with 2.2 imex clw dawgs. This will allow me to drop the body quite a bit on the chassis to help lower the CG.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Try to get that battery lower, that is the killer. Well, the motor to.

When I built my first TLT, I had the battery up high in a scale rig. The motor was low, and it was the most unstable POS you have ever driven.

It "looked" sweet as hell, but I never drove it.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

hey sho i would just hate to see that body get trashed seeing as how its discontinued and all. id love to get it from you if you deside to part with it. and please dont take this crap to seriously its just opinions. every one has one as im sure you do about others setups. just do what makes you happy as everyone else does. but i dont see how layin on jor side could make you that happy!

just playin
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

That is gay, really really gay. Some people have so much to learn.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #17

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhhahahah ahahaahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhhahahahahahaaha hahahahahahahahahhahahahahhhahahahahahaahahahahaha hahahahahhahahahahhhahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha hhahahahahhhahahahahaha thats the first rig ive sen that will statistically crawl better upside down
hemorrageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Yeh if you ever feel like giveing up that jeep body, PLEEEEAAAASSSSE let me know. I've been trying to get one for ever.

As for the function of your rig, it realy doesn't matter what others think as long as your haveing fun with it. My TLT rig weighs in around 5-6 pounds and only has about 2-3 inches of suspention travel. BUT.....It does look alot like a real bronco and my next will be a fully leafsprung FJ40. Now that won't crawl worth a damn but it should look sweeeeet as hell.
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 PM   #19

I don't plan on selling the body as its real home is on top of my new built Jeep Wrangler.

This post is an utter waste of time. I never asked anybody on this board for their opinion on it. The most disappointing part of this thread is the appalling immaturity of the posters on it with nothing better to do than criticize. It's easy to be an e-thug when you hide behind the security of your computer. Rationalizing it by saying that’s just how people are on this board is a cop out. It’s been my experience in life that people who criticize and put others down do so because they are insecure with themselves.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It's easy to be an e-thug
i love that....
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote