Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Pede tranny vs. Stealth tranny

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pede tranny vs. Stealth tranny

Are there any big advantages that would make one tranny a better choice? Price, size, less modification?
gobucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Well I think the main reason for using pede's is the driveshafts. Most other trannies use a cup and dog bone so it's mainly ease of use. I think. But some Losi trannies use driveshafts as well. But I"m not sure which ones.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Im Brandon

Size and weight is another huge factor, the pede trannys seem to be larger and heavier than the losi's and ae's.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Well I think the main reason for using pede's is the driveshafts. Most other trannies use a cup and dog bone so it's mainly ease of use. I think. But some Losi trannies use driveshafts as well. But I"m not sure which ones.
Having an older Losi car, I'm familiar with the kits that have the slider shafts. As for the trucks, you'd have to go back to the Double-XT. After that, they moved to the cup and bone axle arrangement.

My two cents,

Travis
tdonily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

any recommendations on which to buy? price about the same? performance about the same?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you're willing to do some modding the stealth tranny is a gem. Its lighter and in my opinion stronger than the pede. I've had both in many of the small scales I've built, but i've always liked the stealth better. Plus you can usually find them on the Bay for much cheaper.
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlnSlow
If you're willing to do some modding the stealth tranny is a gem. Its lighter and in my opinion stronger than the pede. I've had both in many of the small scales I've built, but i've always liked the stealth better. Plus you can usually find them on the Bay for much cheaper.
If you don't mind post up what mods need to be made. I'd be interested in knowing.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, I posted this how-to on this forum awhile ago, but i dont know where it is so here it is on one of my regular forums.

http://ripper7racing.com/forums/inde...showtopic=4550

You need to lock the differential too. Old school JB Weld(not the quick drying stuff) through the ball diff will do it. And you need to lock the slipper( CA glue works).

I've been running mine in everything. Once you get Maxx drivlines on there, your gaurenteed a tough tranny.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #9
CSR
RCC Addict

I drilled out the yokes on my Revo shafts, slide 'em over the AE Stealth drive cups.

I haven't locked up the slipper. Figured a little slip would save drivetrain parts.
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thats exactly what i did aswell.
CrawlnSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

From the picture in the link, it looks like the yoke is just slid over the outdrive from the tranny. I see the grub pin going through the outdrive slot, but can't the yoke actually pull off the outdrive? It looks like the outdrive needs cross-drilled to accept the grub pin. Or am I missing something?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

On mine, the maxx yoke pin is larger than the slot, so you still gotta enlarge it.

Personally I love the AE, but I'm going back to the pede on my new Bender chassied TLT.

Here's some pics. AE on the left, Pede on the right. see the size diff

The middle one is from another Tarxxas ST, IDK the name though. Same internals as the pede.

To lock the diff, I used only 3 diff balls spaced evenly around the diif gear, just for spacing. Then hot glue, epoxy, or JB weld the two out drives & diff gear together. I also did not use the thrust bearings & spring that goes in the out drive, Just locked it down w/red locktite as tight as I could.

Hope this helps
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I'm using a stealth tranny in my new tuber.

-JB welded the diff
-locked the spur by drilling through the backplate of the slipper and threading 3mm screws all the way through
-Designed some "yoke adpaters" for the pede yokes/shafts. Had Bill over at RCAlloys make my design come to life. Thanks Bill!

locked spur

yoke adapters

see how it holds up when I finish the tuber
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

does anyone know a source (besides ebay) to buy a complete AE stealth or Team Losi XXX tranny?

I do remember a post that someone has a source to buy a Pede tranny as a kit. But I would prefer a XXX or AE.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #15
sim
Quarry Creeper

Wow! Is that drive-cup mild steel or some kind of aluminium alloy? Was it difficult to drill through? Did you use a drill-press?

I once tried to drill through stainless steel and I asked a question about that in the tools section sometime back but I still haven't really found a good way to do that. I gave up on that silly idea.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 PM   #16
sim
Quarry Creeper

Oh and one more question. Did you need a special kind of screw tap to tap those threads? From the pics it really looks like a very hard material.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

You can buy a complete AE Stealth tranny from AE, cost you about $90. Comes complete.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:44 PM   #18
sim
Quarry Creeper

sicj,
how'd you drill those output shafts?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I didn't..... had someone else do it.
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote