Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Time to kill my Stampede!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 PM   #1

Default Time to kill my Stampede!!

The Stampede killer official write up.

OK It is time for me to kill my Stampede. I have owned it for a couple of years and it has been fun but its time to transform this sucker into a TLT crawler.

To give you some background, I have been into rock crawling for about 6 or 7 years now. I recently got out of it for a short period of time due to a job change but I have the desire again. I think it would be better for me to go scale crawling more than 1:1. I have one of those Nylint 1/6 crawlers and it is a hoot but I want more. I enjoy the build as much as the drive and I stumbled upon the TLT crowd at a local RC shop.

Let me try to get this straight before I go butchering a fully functional RC.

The things I can use from my stampede to make a 2.2 Competetion capable TLT.

1: Transmission
2: Driveshafts/half shafts
3: Stock ESC
4: Traxxas Radio
5: Traxxas receiver
6: My current batteries will do until I make custom ballast friendly packs.

Things that I can possibly use.

1: Stock motor, I know its a fast motor but to get the thing rolling, it should work.
2: Shocks: I am planning on using a Bender Custom chassis so I don't know if I can use the stock shocks or not.
3: In some form I hope to be able to use the body as kind of an omage to the parts and pieces but it might be a bit large, again I am new to this so the scale is not meshing in my mind.

I have an old NiCad and some new 3000Mah NiMh batteries to use on the project.

Here is what I have to work with.

I will start out with the chassis I am going to work with and the assembly of the TLT kit. With the information I gather from this site, I hope to put together a good list of parts and pieces to combine a Stampede and a TLT into a rather fun crawler!

Please help me with my Pede-Parts as I want to make sure I am getting things straight. This build up will take a few months so keep up!
spencurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Well you can take the stampede tranny and mail it to me
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:21 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This should help...

The Very First Place Anyone Should Look

FAQ: TLT-1 to TLT-Crawler ***NEWBIES READ!!!***

Last edited by k9popo; 11-27-2005 at 04:23 PM.
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 05:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinrockcrawler
Well you can take the stampede tranny and mail it to me

You didn't even bother to read the post did you...<shakes head and sighs>

Anyway...

I started by taking apart the transmission and got the diff locked up with JB weld.

I followed the tear down published on this page
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...nsmission1.asp
In reality you probably only need to use page 3
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...nsmission3.asp

Then there is a brief write up on the innards of the transmission here.
http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan.../es-grease.asp
Instead of packing the diff with grease, you mix up about half a teaspoon of JB weld and top that sucker off. I used the quick JB Weld that sets in about 4 minutes. It does not have the same legendary tensile strength as traditional JB weld but the scale torque we put these things through should not be a big issue at all.

I re-assembled the transmission and put it back on the Pede chassis and was rather surprised at the digging ability of this thing. Its kind of like the first time you lock up a jeep and take it through the rocks, it is a ear-ro-ear smiling experience. The Natural Gas drilling rig I am working with right now has nothing but loose dirt and dirt berms so the pede made short work of the hill climbs and made my 1/6 nylint look pitiful in comparison.

Next stop....Making a bastard hybrid...

Here is a question for the Pede Tranny lovers...are you guys still using the plastic idler gear or are you upgraded to the metal ones?

Last edited by spencurai; 11-27-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencurai

Please help me with my Pede-Parts as I want to make sure I am getting things straight. This build up will take a few months so keep up!
sure did read it thats why i was gonna offer to help take that pede tranny off your hands if you don't what to do with it
Rockinrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 05:50 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Honestly, How much for everything from the Stampede you won't need. I would like to buy that stuff from you, Thanks.
BlackMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
RCC Addict

This is what my TLT looked liked when i frist started. If you look close you'll notice I used diamond plate for my chassis and also used the shocks before I went to tamiya touring shocks. I liked the look of the stock body you should'nt have to hack it that bad i just got bored with it. Good luck and have fun.
SPECIAL ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #8

Alright, I just orderd my TLT from www.ultimatehobbies.com and got in on their free shipping after thanksgiving day sale!! I highly suggest getting in on that action if you have the chance!!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #9

Default good combo.

Pay good attention to the driveshafts, I always battled with that.
liltatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:17 AM   #10

I just got my Mashers and super offset rims so I dont have to run axle spacers. I am stoked. My TLT should be here in a couple of days so I am excited to get crackin on it!!

I am diggin these wheels,

Last edited by spencurai; 11-30-2005 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:55 AM   #11

I finally got my TLT from Ultimate and jumped in on the assembly. I decided that for my first non-RTR machine, I need to put it completely together, run it, then bastardize both vehicles to make one competetion vehicle. My first impression of the parts is that they use a much harder plastic than Nylint did on their vehicles. I have been into the axles of both and they both have stron points but these TLT axles are going to work out awesome. I will post pictures of my progress on the assembly as I am about ready to pull the electronics and motor from the stampede for a test run of the TLT in the snow....in negative 6 degree weather....ickkkk its cold up here at work!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:59 PM   #12
sim
Quarry Creeper

That's definitely a good move building the TLT stock first and then upgrading later. A huge part of the fun of RC is in slowly upgrading your stuff and appreciating the difference in performance.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:07 PM   #13

I got the thing all put together and decided not to lock anything up. I forgot that my stampede motor was all ****ed up so I had to un-install it and take it apart to clean it. I think the brushes and bushings are toast but it still moves the thing. I left the 18
(17) tooth pinion on there because I thought it would be better than the 24 tooth that was in the kit.

At first I thoguth it was really messed up but I found out I didnt tighten the ball diff enough and it was slipping and screeching. The mashers on the wide offset rims look awesome, this thing is wider than it is long...kinda funny looking.

Now its time to pull everything apart again and lock things up because this open diff stuff is for the birds......but now I know.....
Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #14

OK...here are a couple pix of this thing assembled...not like you guys haven't seen oen before but I just get a kick out of it that this thing is almost square....

Old 12-12-2005, 12:49 PM   #15

So I locked up the diffs...and ****in spun the recessed nuts on the TLT axle halves...I am sooo pissed but I can adapt....anyway....I just put in my order for the SW2 chassis and am awaiting it with excited anticipation!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:14 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Would west marine epoxy work to lock the diffs?
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:00 PM   #17

I just jammed the third gear between the other two. It is locked up but I stripped the place where the nuts are recessed into the plastic on the axle housing...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #18

Awesome...I picked up my lathe motor, links, Maxx shocks and oil yesterday...I am totally drooling at the chance to get at that damn SW2 chassis....this is gonna be kick ***. I put the lathe motor in the stock TLT config and promptly stripped out the center diff in the configuration I thought would net a locked effect...I was very wrong, I had the distinct smell of burnt plastic after about 15 seconds...it was bad but I dont give a **** because it is the TLT diff....its hitting the parts big anyway!!