Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Leaf spring questions/ measurements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Leaf spring questions/ measurements

I have plans to build a custom frame with Jugg springs. I am trying to figure out the spacing between front and rear shackles. I am planning something along the lines of a Bruiser frame. Problem is I am poor and don't have a Bruiser to measure. I want the spring to have enough arch but not to much. I am also going to have to make shackles and spring perches. A little help would be appreciated.

With any Luck Unimoger will get some of those revolvers into production. My rig would be pretty sweet with some revolvers. Hint, hint, hint
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Default measurements

Hey Brandon, I am work right Now but I have juggy springs and 3 bruiser sitting at home I can take some measurements for you when I get home if youd like (if no one else can b4 I can)

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 11:26 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Yes please, I would also like the measurements for the lady in your avatar. No wonder Santa is such a jolly soul.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well my Hilux is at the shop and I only work on RC at the shop. At home it is the 1to1 or the honey do stuff.
Any way the inner spacing is 6 5/8 inches trom spring to spring. the outer measurement is 15 1/4 inches. If you need more I will be at the shop for several hours.
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyatBBY
Well my Hilux is at the shop and I only work on RC at the shop. At home it is the 1to1 or the honey do stuff.
Any way the inner spacing is 6 5/8 inches trom spring to spring. the outer measurement is 15 1/4 inches. If you need more I will be at the shop for several hours.
Ya kind of lost me I think. Do you mean 6 5/8 front spring mount to rear shackle mount? or do you mean from side to side? I am sorry but I am a little confused.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
RCC Addict

sounds like he meant from the pring mount on one end to the spring mount on the other end.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

10-4
Old 12-26-2005, 01:51 AM   #8

For the springs to work correctly, the mounting points should correspond to the length eye to eye of the springs, with the shackle at an angle that will allow the spring to become flat with no binding. This will allow the most droop as well.
Make sure you account for shackle reversal as well....
Scott
Scotth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If you don't get enough answers here, check out scale4x4rc.us

Over there is a guy by the name of SigP232, and he's done quite a few leafsprung custom projects. The whole place over there is about scale vehicles down to the nitty gritty details.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

im confused, so what is the length from mounting hole to mounting hole on the jugg springs
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 08:26 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Brando, I made my own springs so I can't help there. I kept hearing that the Jugg springs are to stiff. Like Scott said as far as the distance for mounting I to I it depends, partly on the length of the shackle your going to use. The shackle has to be long enough that the spring doesn't bind when it flattens, also be aware that the axle moves toward the shackle as the spring compresses. The shackle should be at around a 45 degree angle, top towards the axle at ride heigth for the best articulation, assuming the weight of the truck compresses the springs 50% or more. I am going to mount my axles so they are off center of the wheel arches at extension and at the center at full compression I hope :? . As far as the anti reverse I have a stop on the shackle but if the frame mounts are spaced right it should not be needed, mainly if to far apart. Last year I did a shackle reversal on my 1:1 FJ so I got fairly intimate with all this. You may already know all this stuff but I was bored. I am going to post some pics soon of some progress on my scale FJ, did alot of work on my springs and mounting, I am going 3/4 elliptical in the back. By the way Brando you do some really nice work.
Glen
76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote