Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: some more tlt questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2004, 04:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default some more tlt questions

i got my tlt finnaly and put it together stock(exept for locking the center diff) to see how it would work stock, it sucked lol, anyway i drove it in the mud burning out and stuff and in some really dusty lose dirt but i drove really slow in that so it wouldnt get everywhere in the truck.
well i now want to lock the diffs cause thats always how id get stuck so i took the axels apart and there was dirt in there ,on the diff ring, bushings, and everything else ,there wasnt much but still it was dirt. i used white lithum grease when buiding it so i dont know if thats ok. but on the pinion gear the black coating on the shaft part where it rides on the bushings was silver. needless to say i want bearings to replace all the bushings in the truck , well exept the cantilervers. but i dont want to wait for shipping of a kit offline so heres my questions finnaly
1. what sizes are the bearings i need to replace the metal axle bushings and the plastic hub ones?
2. how did dirt get in so easily, i only drove it one battery pack?
3. is white lithum grease ok to use?
4. does anyone lock their diff this way ( im scared im gonna mess mine up) http://www.txt-1.net/forum/index.php...amp;#entry2522
(i dont know if its ok to post links to other forums so please dont kill me
5. why is the fourm so great lol im always on here
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2004, 01:44 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: some more tlt questions

no one? hmm.. come on guys pretty please with a cherry on top? lol
anyways i figured out how to lock the diff , it wasnt hard as i thought it would be at all. but i need to know the bearing sizes so i can buy some localy.
then i have to try and figure out a way to seal the axels cause i was very easy on it in the dirt but dirt still easily found its way in no problem.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

white lith grease is good, thats what i'm using on my stock bushings. I'm not sure what size the bearings are but I have not seen any dirt inside my front or rear axles. did you install the outside axle bearing, this is the on nearest to the knuckle
rcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Locking the diffs with TXT lockers won't work. Just break open the diff case and fill it with epoxy.

How did you get dirt in where? If its the chassis, thats expected. If its the axles, try tightening the screws. You shouldn't get dirt in the axles.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

yeah i installed all the bushings in the axels and all the screws were super tight hmm... it was probably cause i got to much mud in the hub part inbetween the axle dogbone end thing and the part that it goes into the wheel axel piece , because i put grease on that like the instructions say. now i know i dont need to becase how worn down could it get going so slow. probably a lot less than if it was full of grease attracting dirt.
newb mistake
thanks for the help and i hope to be building my frame for the tlt_10 transformation. i just dont know how far up from the very bottom of the frame to the parts that stick out to the sides( where the battery and electrics go) stock its like 3'' so i think ill keep the chassis like stock but more room for the battery and stuff. i think that the lil' bitch did it that way right. sorry if my post is confusing my brain like stoped working after graduating from high school lol man i need to sign up for collage.