Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Broken

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Broken

Well the axle that I broke finally came in the mail yesterday. But, as I was dissassembling the housing to install it, I noticed something didn't look right. The two tabs that the stock servo plate screws into that is. One was completely sheered off and the other was split right down the middle vertically. I used the screws that it called for so either it happened in fall or when assembling. I've only ran two batteries through this thing though WTF? Anyone else had this happen to them?
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Do you have the chrome plate housings? I used one of those tabs for a rear lock out, and they aren't exactly the spitting image of sturdy.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Nah, I'm just using the stockers that came in the TLT kit. It almost seems as though the holes weren't large enough for the screws from the factory. I should've paid more attention when I was assembling it. Maybe someone will come out with some alloy axle housings if demand gets high enough. I was also running 4ws and it was the rear axle that broke along with the servo mount tabs. Maybe when the axle let got it twisted the flimsy little servo plate or somthin' I dunno. I've got my SW2 on the way though, and I'm gonna convert to front steer only and try to make some comps this year.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I too have had the same issue with my crawler. I have actually gone through about 2 of them now. I was shocked to see this considering I use plastic servo arms and plastic knuckles. I figured there was enough flex in those to act as a buffer for any type of roll over I took that would jam the servo. On my two, I only saw cracks and since I was competing the next day, I figured I wouldn’t take a chance and changed them out. They are probably still acceptable, but not worth taking the chance in a comp. I wonder if they can be drill further down to allow for a longer screw which would resolve some of the issue. I haven’t drilled out my back supports for the servo that are just pins, so maybe supporting to those will also greatly reduce this problem.

I think a combo of those two fixes would minimize this problem and would be a much cheaper alternative to custom axles.
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I've got an SW2 on the way and I noticed on Bender's that he did drill those back tabs out and put bolts/screws there as well. I'll do that once the new housings show up. I don't think you can drill any further down because the screws that hold the axle together are right underneath.

Last edited by hpiguy; 01-05-2006 at 10:28 AM. Reason: addition