Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: tlt scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Default tlt scaler

hello all i have a scaler project that Ive been thinking of doing i have the following parts but i cant seem to find a way to make a decent scaler out of them

tlt axles (locked)
pede trans
pede shafts
1.9 tires and wheels
clod buster body

every time i try to build a crawler out of this array of parts i don't get good results any suggestions for a shocks,chassis and links?

i have another tlt based crawler and it kicks but but i cant seem to mimic the results i have had with that one its a sw2 with losi shocks and pede trans and rc4wd bead-lock rims and flatiron tires has a custom front bumper and a working winch (re-did a traxxas tq3 for the winch control )

tlt axles make scalers look good so im trying to keep away from the axial side of the road on this build

any suggestions are welcome
slow_goin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I have enough stuff to do 2 trucks with TLT axles but like you I am at a loss.....guess I just need to dive into it and hope for the best!!
Captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I would suggest getting your hands on a K2-3L/S chassis. You will have to find one used as they are no longer made. But they were designed for the TLT axles, and pede tranny. Check here for build threads and build documents:

http://www.reignrc.com/reignrc/builddocs.html

Great versatile chassis. Hope this helps.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:46 AM   #4

ill keep an eye out for one i just got some derlin rod so i can make my own links now thatll help out alot on building a rig just need to find a K2-3L/S chassis now then i can begin to build something out of my parts box LOL :-P almost got enough to build 2 crawlers in there just missing major components

thanks for the help
Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #5

You might want to see if Reignrc has any these left. ***NEW Reign RC K2-5S Delrin Scale Chassis***
Decible142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

If you want to upgrade to an axial transmission you could also look for a k2-5. It is a little narrower that's why it wont work with the pede tranny. Might be easier to find as the K2-3L's have been out of production for a while. Or just be patient, I'm sure one will turn up. The chassis use smaller shocks, which is nice. I'm using Mini LST shocks on mine. Here's an older pic with 2.2's, it is currently being rebuilt with 1.9's.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #7

got a k2-5 a while back in a trade just could never get it to work with anything finally found a build thread on the reign website useing the ax10 trans but i wanted a stouter trans so i went with the rc4wd r2 v2 black transmission and orderd some 55-60mm touring car shocks still needing the kit to mount the shocks to the chassis tho anyone know where i can find them? this build should be makeing some progress soon (i hope) any suggestions for what motor i should run in this beast? thanks for all your help its invaluable to me to be helped on a build like this as ive never built a scaler before and so far im likeing it !
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

The shocks should just mount to the holes already on the chassis. If you need a taller shock mount you can just make one. Here are the ones I made to use the stock tlt shocks (top pic), and how the shorter shocks mounted (lower pic, sorry its blurry but you get the gist). I really like the shorter profile of the K2-5, but all the K2 chassis are quite user friendly.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Also, here is another one I have on a K2-3L chassis. I have since cut the doors down to half doors.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #10

i used t-maxx shocks on my k2-3L mounted on the lower links works pretty good for me.
garage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #11

i have a set of e-maxx shocks but they are a little long for the k2-5 ill get some progress pics here in a bit whenever my trans comes in cant really build a crawler without one LOL
Old 02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #12

have you decided what motor to run? maybe 35t or 45t should decent. good luck on your build!
garage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #13

heres a current pic of the buld i got the r2 tranny and decided on a 55t integy motor and i am makeing my own links thanks to a handy tool i picked up here on rcc and decided to not use the clod body but instead to use a jeep body i had laying around that is a little more scale looking to the size of the tires ill keep you all posted on updates just been busy and havent had much of a chance to work on my projects but its still moveing slowley but shurley like a crawler
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #14

heres a current pic waiting for the shocks to come in and still need to make some steering links
Old 02-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #15

sweet!
spor706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #16

ive decided to use the clod body after all just havent a clue on how to paint it to look like its old and rusty i live in oregon so the chevy silverados here are rust buckets so i want to make it look like a real truck from here heres a pic of what it looks like now with the clod body on it any and all feedback will be apritiated as this is my first 1.9 scaler build so far i think im doing ok but if you see something that would make it even more scale lmk thx all

Old 02-16-2010, 06:22 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looks good with the clod body. What kind of rollbar is on there?
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #18

the rollbar is one off of a clod that i bought from a friends dad he made it in shop class when he was in highschool so its one of a kind thanks for the complement i like it too with the clod body