Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: ideas for a budget build tlt scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #1

Thumbs down ideas for a budget build tlt scaler

I have a tlt that really needs some work to be a scaler. I'm new into crawlers so I'm gonna need some help. First off is chassis, was thinking the k2-3l, about $35, next would be better motor and esc since mine are junk, found this though http://www.hobbypartz.com/35a-brushl...-1-10-car.html really good deal and good reviews and only $60. The same site also has 2.4ghz radio controller and transmitter for $25.......sweet deals. Ok, next would be transmission, I could do the rc4wd r2 for about $55, but stampede is well rounded but I can't find one...... :/ then depending what transmission what drivshafts. Do I buy for it and any links to extend it? I have also jimmy rigged the rear stear and took out the servo.....but is there anyones that look better than my junker of one to make it look scale? Please help me out, and don't say to read the forums, done that but most are old and links don't work. And also body and body mounts.......I want a ford pickup, bronco, scout or samurai body, where to find any of em =)

Last edited by sionshards; 05-20-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo
sionshards is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

when i first got my tlt from craigslist

stock flex on 2.2 swampers

novak esc =)

changing the suspension around

sits higher and flexes better

my ghetto rear steer lockout that didnt work well

sooooo much better even with stock parts
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

WOW, haven't seen a stock TLT in years and years. The K2-3L chassis is a great chassis. Though I prefer the k2-5 if you can find one. If you can't find the k2-5, narrow the 3L a 1/2" so you can run the shocks outside the frame. Next cut about 5/8" off the bottom of the chassis and make a sheetmetal tranny mount. This mod will give you more ground clearence and almost the same center of gravity.

These simple mods basically make the k2-5 chassis. I've been using them for years and love them. They are easy to build, mod and perform great.

Here's some pics of the modded chassis to help

cut for ground clearence

skid plate

chassis narrowed with shock & body mountng

hopefully this gives you direction. If you have any other ?'s about the K2 chassis hit me up.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #4

Wow, that's a big help, I will definately look for the k2-5! Next month will be motor, rear straight axles adapters, and a new remote and transmiter. Then I will get the chassis and start getting all of the parts together =D
Old 05-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionshards View Post
Wow, that's a big help, I will definately look for the k2-5! Next month will be motor, rear straight axles adapters, and a new remote and transmiter. Then I will get the chassis and start getting all of the parts together =D
I wouldn't worry about the motor yet, a low, stable platform is far more important in building a crawler.

I may have a set of rear axle adapters I don't need.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

The motor in mine is bad, so I found some good deals on ebay. I like to take it out every weekend with a few buddies so I need to keep it running until I'm ready to start building it =) if you don't need the how much would you want? I was gonna go through rcp but this is a budget build ;)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #7

So I made some awesome upgrades to my tlt! My buddy nearly destroyed his axial ax10 and decided to sell the axles and buy an MOA crawler. Soooooo, I got a chassis, transmission with a broken final drive gear(already put in upgraded one piece in now), lower links with rear 30 degree links, and I bought new driveshafts. The rest is my stock parts leftover from my tlt =D I love being cheap! Hahaha, so I have it all mocked up and just need to put electronics on and also put rear stear back on till I get my straight axle adapters. Pics will be up tomorrow when I have time
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 AM   #8

well its all mocked up and im fixing some electronics at the moment. ill have pics of it rtr up soon =)
Old 06-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Better but still needs some updating. Keep it rollin forward, building is the best part.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep View Post
Better but still needs some updating.

yes it does.

building is the best part.

yes it is.nothing like building your own stuff.keeps you in practice and makes you better at fixing it when/if it tears up.
hotrodsonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

going to need to brace the upper partof the chasssis. the axial chassis will flex even with the braces, but far less.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote