Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Torsion Chassis Idea for TLT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 01:43 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Torsion Chassis Idea for TLT

Alright after seeing the Reverse Cowgirl build I thought of a way to build a Torsion chassis for a TLT. A stick chassis with shocks on a TLT. Here is what I came up with. The yellow lines are the Driveshafts. This first pictures shows the layout of the Electronics. It doesn't show the Chassis.

The red or blue lines would be the links and the thick black lines are the drive shafts. You would have to build a small case that covers the tranny that bolts on to the C channel chassis which wouldn't be that hard. You would also have to build plates on the axles that would hold all you electronics and batteries.This 2nd picture show's the chassis layout.

Here is the Cage for the Tranny. All you would have to do is mount it in there like this.

So what do you think? Does it look possible? What kind of torque twist would you get with a set up like this?

Last edited by run2jeepn; 06-18-2006 at 03:03 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 03:11 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

It looks like it would work really well. The only issue I can see is the space on the tlt axle, they are small. I would actually like to see a prototype of something like that. I think torque twist will be an issue with any shaft driven rc like that, however I dont think that it will matter much with the "stick" type layout.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Now that I think about it, the drive shaft to the transfer case from the gd600 may reduce or eliminate torque twist depending on the rotation of the drive shaft
Old 06-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The only thing I could see being an issue would be the flex. Being the Channel is short the a clod base one it may not flex much. And then bolting the tranny case to it woul dmake it worse. I guess you could run a thinner C Channel for more flex. And where the tranny case bolts to the C channel you could put a rubber spacer there to allow it to flex. Or you could just drill hole in the side of the C channel to weaken it to allow it to twist.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 06-18-2006 at 04:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yeah, you would almost have to go with a thinner C channel. Would there be a way to keep the t-case stationary and have the "stick" part that comes out to the front and back twist some how?
Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
Yeah, you would almost have to go with a thinner C channel. Would there be a way to keep the t-case stationary and have the "stick" part that comes out to the front and back twist some how?
If you made it twist you would have to add shocks. Just like the Crawlerstore's Stick.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Not nessarily(sp?). You could limit the "twist" of the chassis to keep you from over flexing with a bump stop. With the weight low in the center on flat ground the weight will pull it back twards the ground. The movment of the axles would also be extremely smooth. ( I can see the idea in my mind, I dont know if I explained it well enough)
Old 06-18-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Ok, imagine this... You have the box part of the chassis with the t-case that hangs slightly lower. Then you have a post that comes off the front and back of that box that the axles mount to(the axle will move with the twist of the post not articulate around the post). Then you add bump stops to both the front and rear post so you cant over articulate. There will be no up and down axle movement, just articulation, one tire goes up, the other goes down, so you really wouldnt need shocks or dampers the weight of the t-case in the middle would help keep the cog down because it would always swing to the lowest point due to the weight.

*edit* I didnt mean to hijack this thread, its not often I have an idea. My mind works like lightning, one briliant flash and its gone.

Last edited by xjman; 06-18-2006 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:44 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Don't worry about Hijacking it. All the input is needed. I'm sure I over looked something and it won't work.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm sure thats what was thought when the stick first came to mind... look at that thing.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:57 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Couple of questions:

Why is the tranny in a box? Just for waterproofing?

And if this is a torsion chassis (mounted rigid to the axles) why bother with links? The links only locate the axle to the chassis, and you've already done that by bolting it to the bar. All I see the links doing here is limiting flex. You might use one lower link per axle just to keep the axle from wrapping.

Using aluminum channel, I can see fatigue being a problem. Flex the chassis enough and it will crack.

Weight placement/tuning would be very important with this design. It's got so little flex to begin with that you'd have to build it very carefully. I think it could be done. It's a lot like my Nanotube with no shocks. The 'Tube has almost as much twist in the CF chassis as it does in the suspension. Starting with that as your design parameter would make for an interesting build.

You've got a lot to think about there. But the best way to think it over is to build it and see what could be better about the next one. Start cutting
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:05 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The tranny is in a box so it would be protected from rocks. In the design I only have 2 links per axle just like the CrawlerStore chassis. I thought I would have to put the links on it so it spin on the chassis. Theres only one bolt though the channel to the axle. I think I try this out once I get another TLT kit.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Don't worry about the tranny, just put an RPM gear cover on it. As far as the torsion chassis goes, try it. Worst case scenario, it goes in the Hall of Shame. I've got a few entries myself
Old 06-18-2006, 05:17 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Here is what the tranny box would look like. The two holes on top is how it would blot on to the chassis. I was afraid it wouldn't flax at all because how short the channel was. I know that the clod who have ran this had at least a 16in wheelbase and above. The short the channel the stronger it is.
Sorry for all the crappy drawings. I'm at work and all I have is Windows Paint program.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 06-18-2006 at 05:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Uh, yeah, never mind about the gear cover. That won't do much good if you're not using a gear

You may be able to tune the chassis by changing the dimensions of the box. Make the tranny box wider to increase leverage on the chassis, or longer to stiffen the chassis. Or you could just do what X-Ray does, add or remove screws between the box and the torsion bar to tune the stiffness.

As for torque twist, you should have zero, since the motor is mounted to the axle, and the GD will reverse the direction of rotation between the driveshaft to the axle and the armature. Or it'll flop itself over like a two-dollar wh0re. Build it and find out
Old 06-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Looks like torsion chassis are the Next Big Thing. Check out the Pimp Cane in Vendors.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Keep you eye's open for this build up thread in the TLT Section. I will try to start it soon. I just wanted a few thoughts before I started. As soon as I finish my "RAMROD" Project this is nexted.If anyone has anymore ideas give up guys. I will have to design the servo/Axle braces/Torsion mount and have them cut with a CNC machine. The front will be differnt b/c of the GD600 mounted on it.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 06-18-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
Looks like torsion chassis are the Next Big Thing. Check out the Pimp Cane in Vendors.
And the CPE Claw (torsion) chassis was released less than a week ago. Looks to be catching on!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Looks to be catching on!

Only took you dummys a year!

(Alf is proud)

Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

That thing is fugly!