Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The "Punisher" with 2.2 RR's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The "Punisher" with 2.2 RR's

My version of these tires anyways, and they work killer.

DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Same as K rocks but for 2.2?
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Red rocks with extra lugs glued on!!? looks sick!!! Rig looks great too.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

And you just used CA glue to do that right?
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
RCC Addict

read the 2.2 tire thread on these tires, last page.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent
Red rocks with extra lugs glued on!!? looks sick!!! Rig looks great too.
works as good as it looks too.

The SW2 chassis can't be beat, and a good set up should take ya to the top with good driving.

This is not a "cheap" TLT. the servo alone is $140.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
I would like to see a SW2 w/ a Stealth. The Pede is nearing the end of the road as the dominate tranny in my opinion. The Stealth/Losi/Evader tranny(s) are smaller, lighter, and stronger than the Pede.
The rear motor set up to a small trans is the next thing, I have seen it work and it works really good.

There is nothing wrong with a Pede trans set up, it is tuff as hell and if set up right will crawl with the best of them. Besides, you can build whatever, but a really good driver will run circles around whoever.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

that looks sweet, looks like a lot of time put into those tires
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635
that looks sweet, looks like a lot of time put into those tires
about 4 hours.

but well worth it.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

lets get a video comparison...i want to see em work
DUIdirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Actually brush less(like I run) will be the next BIG thing. and w/ the power these things make, the Stealth slipper set up comes into play. The Pede has a slipper, but again, not as good as a Stealth.
Brushless is great but, I myself, think it is a little over board for a 2.2 crawler.

I have always run a slipper on a Pede tranny ( 2 years now) cranked down and it has always worked and hardly ever slipped. When it does it slip, it is about 1 second in a hard bind and the motor will stall or an axle will break.

With a stock slipper on a pede, and not the worthless adapter, you can run a 12/96 gearing with a steel yoke on the trans. That gives ya 8:1, with a change to a 13t pinion (13/96) you are at 7.38 which is good for smaller tires and not bad at all with a 8.4 volt set up with any tire size.

I never seen the need for 64p gearing, but you do have a little better range to work with.

As far as braking I just adjust the trim on the throttle and the rig holds true and just use the brake on the esc for going down hill if needed.

I have seen a lot of stuff not needed on the TLT for years and I am just now speaking out about what I have been running because of 2 years worth of proven ways.

To each his own, but I know what works for me, and can work for anybody.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE
Brushless is great but, I myself, think it is a little over board for a 2.2 crawler.

The reason for brushless in a 2.2 is not the added power but the impresive weight reduction.

Tires look interesting Doug!

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 11:35 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUIdirk
lets get a video comparison...i want to see em work
Come on down to Goldendale and see for yourself.:-P I have no video cam, but I also haven't been to the beach yet.

They are doing way better in my test area than any 2.2 Moab I have tried. I also have a new set of M2ks I have bought for a comparison and they do better than those do because of size and now have more grip than a Masher when you hang on to the rig and do a burn on the pavement. The 2.2 RR's I made up pull a lot harder than the Mashers on that test for sure.

I tried the M2k's with and with out foams and the same weight on the "burn" test. With out foams the Mashers had more pull than with foams but still didn't have the pull the 2.2 RR's I made up.

The one thing this large tire will do is beat up the little TLT quicker but I don't care, that would be a maintenance thing and expected.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
The reason for brushless in a 2.2 is not the added power but the impresive weight reduction.

Tires look interesting Doug!

Chad-
at what cost?? $$ is it worth it??

I myself would think a change over to CF and derlin links would yield about the same. I am just guessing at that in theory. Also the mounting plate for the uppers could be drilled out a bunch and you wouldn't hurt a thing.

Hey Bender! How about a CF SW2.

I have never mess with a brushless system yet.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
And the POWER! And the drag brake feature, and the size, and weight reduction, and did I mention the power!

Brushless rules!
what that in oz's

grams are for drugs aren't they??

another thing, batteries weigh way different from one another.

The old school 1500 NiCads are the lightness and have more than enough run time for comps. I now about the lipos, but I don't think I am ready for a picky batt like that just yet.

I have 2 nice Tekin chargers I am not ready to give up yet also, so Ni Cads or NiMH will have to do for awhile yet.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
The Mamba/Revolver combo ran $135.00

A good ESC (TR2) and lathe is $105.00. So the cost is really not a big issue.

Cheap for a guy that buys $80.00 2.2 tires!

Wow!! the cost has dropped big time I guess, I might have to try out a brushless system.

How is the reliability? and how long is the maintenance duration on these if any??

I have seen what the brushless system can do on the go fast RC's and I was impressed with the power.

as far as tires?? Tires are everything in motor sport what ever the size is, and I spare no expense when it comes to tires.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The old school 1500 NiCads are the lightness and have more than enough run time for comps. I now about the lipos, but I don't think I am ready for a picky batt like that just yet.

I have 2 nice Tekin chargers I am not ready to give up yet also, so Ni Cads or NiMH will have to do for awhile yet.
I hear you there. My huge lipo 3 cell weights 1/3 what my dads 3800nimh do and my 900mah 2 cell weight next to nothing but they are "as you say PICKY!"

My float with large bat and brushless was under 3.5lbs with weight in the front tires...I have never weighed it with the lighter lipos.

Chad-
Old 06-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That's another area you could lose A LOT of weight. Switch to 2/3 AA IB 1200! Less than half the weight of say a 3300 sub c pack.
ooo...I like the stand up servo in that pic is that your truck dezfan. I have run that position(but behind the axle)with my bta and really love the room it frees up on the axle for batteries. NICE!

Chad-
Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
ooo...I like the stand up servo in that pic is that your truck dezfan. I have run that position(but behind the axle)with my bta and really love the room it frees up on the axle for batteries. NICE!

Chad-
Yup, a BTA set up is coming!

Thanks for the complement!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #20
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
at what cost?? $$ is it worth it??

I myself would think a change over to CF and derlin links would yield about the same. I am just guessing at that in theory. Also the mounting plate for the uppers could be drilled out a bunch and you wouldn't hurt a thing.

Hey Bender! How about a CF SW2.

I have never mess with a brushless system yet.
Delrin links made a big difference on my rig, they just glide over rocks. Combine that with the Delrin skid and it's tough to get high centered. If I do get high centered, it's on more jagged rocks.

The Revolver/Mamba combo is ALOT lighter, compared to my Lathe motor and Super Rooster set-up. I added a little more weight to my axles because I felt it was almost too light. I'm not sure a CF chassis would be a good thing. Skippy built a 3 3/4 lbs 2.2 rig and it couldn't get any traction on steep climbs. He also ended up adding weight to the axles. That's the same reason I like my standard 6 cell packs, I think the added weight helps my rig. That's seems to be what works here in Colorado at least.

My uncut Pede tranny housing protects my Revolver motor perfectly, another reason I like that tranny. I've never had any problems with my slipper clutch either.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote