Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Pede axle issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Pede axle issue

I am having a devil of a time getting the ball into the universal joint on the tranny side of things. Is there a trick to doing this? I can get the ball into the sliders just fine, but the yokes (is that the correct term?) is a no go for me.

Help me RCCraler.com-Obi, your my only hope.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

take a lighter and heat up the ends of the slider then take a pliers and pry them apart a little bit now stick one end of the outdrive into the slider then with a flat scredriver push the other end into place. hope this helps
ToyotaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i hated that stuff it sucked buting thos in. i used a vice to do them squeze them enouth wherer they expand and the thake the pressure off it and BAM it works.
MGS511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I was able to get it with two needle nose pliers (I held both pliers) and splitting the two arms where the ball goes in and having my loving wife (she was tired of hearing me cuss at them whenever I would pinch myself or have one fly across the room) use her little fingers and get the ball in place. Then I used a pair of channel locks to pop the ball the rest of the way into place. Talk about a nightmare (at least a cuss-fest).
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

the way i do it is i take the plastic parts and I hold them under running hot water to get them more flexible. then i just use the same pair of pliers to slide in one pin of the u-joint piece into the plastic shaft. then i just use the pliers and push the other side down and it pops right in , then i put it under cold water while squeezing the plastic on both sides of the u-joint together, to help make it a tighter fit dont know if im weakning it that way , never broke a pede driveline but now im usin maxx lines just to be sure
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316
the way i do it is i take the plastic parts and I hold them under running hot water to get them more flexible. then i just use the same pair of pliers to slide in one pin of the u-joint piece into the plastic shaft. then i just use the pliers and push the other side down and it pops right in , then i put it under cold water while squeezing the plastic on both sides of the u-joint together, to help make it a tighter fit dont know if im weakning it that way , never broke a pede driveline but now im usin maxx lines just to be sure
That was going to be my next try if my wife was not able to help.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda316
Exactly how I do it, except I place them in a cup of boiling water for about 20 seconds....once you get one side in, the other one just slides along the little "channel" in the side of the yoke, and pops straight into the hole.
BALISTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

im going to make yall feel stupid

http://www.misbehavin-rc.com/pit-lan...all-joints.asp
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

all you guys make it way to complicated, all ya do is start the ball in one ear then using the edge of a table (needs to be square edge) on the edge of the ball, push down and towards it at a 45* angle. no fuss no muss and takes about 5 seconds per side
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvecmaxx
I have one of those laying around and didn't know what it was for... LOL
mr.maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:38 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Revo Shafts and Joints are alot easier and Beefy.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 07-05-2006 at 06:12 AM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvecmaxx
Doesn't make me feel stupid, just makes me wish I had one. Perhaps I will try to make one, I have aluminum about that thin...
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

you can just slot the tip of a standard screw driver.
cvecmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

i use a pair of snap ring pliers to spread them open
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote