Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2006, 08:09 PM   #1

Default few questions

I know it's been asked before and i have searched for the last 2 days and became more confused then when i started.

What i have is the peak performance jaguar 19x2
http://www.peakmotors.com/Machine+Wound+Motors/Jaguar
stock spur 83 tooth i belive (and can not go any larger there due to yoke clearence)
24 tooth pinion gear
electric pede tranny
and swamp dog 2.2 on the way
i just ordered a 17 tooth pinion from horizon. (smallest metric i could find in stock)

How do i find the ratio and will it be decent to spin the tires easy.

If that combo is no good would a 55 turn lathe make "the" difference

Does anybody use lipo batterys? heard that there not as good for bouncing and pounding but not sure if it's true or not. what would a common stick pack size be "7.2 volt 3000mAh"

Thanks
jlracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

You get that tlt that was at Marc's?
Varv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I've always sucked at math. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong. The formula should be Spur Divided by Pinion. In this case 83/17=4.88:1 Your original ratio would be 83/24=3.45. Now a bigger Spur on a smaller pinion would give you more mechanical leverage and make it easier on your motor. That would cooler temps and longer run times ( marginally with a 19T motor ) and motor life.

TLT axles should be 2.66:1 (close enough)
"pede trans is 2.72 ( I suppose thats why Traxxas calls it Magnum 272 )
so add those together
4.88 + 2.66 + 2.72 = 10.26:1 before you include wheel radius to give final ratio

Numbers are pointless without a frame of reference. My first TLT had an 87/23 (3.7 Pinion Spur with the 'pede trans (2.72) and with the tlt axles works out to 9.16:1. I had the stock Stinger 20T motor and I could move the 5" tall moabs just fine. It was a bit fast crawling. The Swamp Dogs are billed as 4.75" tall which would make it a hair slower and not that noticable.

My TLT axled Misfit is running 4" tires (HPI Geolandars) with 'pede trans and an input ratio of 3.8 (I'm running a GD600 instead of spur/pinion). For me that works out to 9.18 on a 55t lathe motor. I get enough wheel speed and my ESC (Original Tekin Rebel) has really fine lowspeed control to really creep along. Check the video in thread and you'll get an idea of how slow.

Since I'm starting to loose myself, let me sum up. You should be alright with just the 17t pinion. A lathe motor would be help a lot with turning those tires and with increasing run time. I got about 15 minutes with 20T and with the exact same ESC and battery I get 50+ minutes on the 55t lathe. I'm running a 55t but there less wind lathes out there. 45, 35, those still give good torque but more wheel speed. Or do you just want to go muddin' ?

So as a disclaimer, Google gear ratios or overall gear ratios. I've been drinkin' so who knows what I screwed up.
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:31 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mriswith
so add those together
4.88 + 2.66 + 2.72 = 10.26:1 before you include wheel radius to give final ratio

So as a disclaimer, Google gear ratios or overall gear ratios. I've been drinkin' so who knows what I screwed up.
You need to MULTIPLY the ratios
Zuki Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

See, I told ya some one would correct me if I was wrong ... :-P

... I can count my toes and get the same number 3 out of 5 times so I'm not all stupid
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #6

Ok so right now with the pede tranny and 83 spur 24 pinion i would have a crawl ratio of 25.01

with the 17 pinion it gives 35.30

what is recomended for swamp dog 2.2
Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM   #7

oh and yes it's from zero gravity, you seen it there before?

Jason
Old 07-16-2006, 09:16 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Yeah, I was actualy going to pick it up at one point but I figured I would finish my txt first, then I ended up getting a clod as well so there went that idea
Varv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:23 AM   #9

So out of the 208 people to look at htis topic, not one can help me with a answer of what crawl ratio would be decent or just to start and try for 2.2 swamp dog. All my info was posted in the first post.