Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Clod Transmision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Clod Transmision

I just got some tlt axles and want to built a 2.2 tuber. Anyway I am toying around with a design for a tranny using clod gears. Basicaly since I have access to plenty of cnc machines and cad knowhow I have desined a gearbox that will use the clod internals for gear reduction. The case will be in two halves, machined out of delrin, with multiple mounting points. I will use juggy stub shafts, which fit the internal spline of the stock clod carrier, with the ends removed to fit the yolk of a jato or revo shaft. I know, it sounds like alot of work but I just like having a project to work on and this one will be free since I already have a ton of clod parts and an extra 55turn motor and esc. So to my main question. I don't have a clue as to what gear reduction people use for a tlt crawler and since running the clod gears by themselves with a 55 turn motor produces slow crawling speeds with 7 inch tires, will I be much to slow with 2.2 moabs and tlt axles???? also what is the gear ratio in the axles. Mayby the stock silver cans will be just right? I don't know sombody help me!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

The Stampede tranny has a 2.72:1 ratio, not sure what a Clod gearbox ratio is. It may be on the slow side, but a stock 540 can might be able to fix that.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just looked at it and by turning it by hand it's in the neighborhood of 7.5 to 7.75 to one.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

uh thats without counting the pinion gear. does anyone know were to get a pinion that will have the same pitch as the 2nd gear in the clod gear box?????