Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Start of A New Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The Start of A New Tuber

Well I just spent all afternoon sorting through a large pile of parts just to get 2 axles, so I'm trying to find a tranny so when I do I will start on my 1st tlt. Specs will be,

12.5in wb,
2.2 moabs,
(2) futaba s3004 servo's
3.3 revo shafts,
4 channel futaba rx
maybe front dig,
stealth tranny??????????
55t lathe
duratrax esc

by the way, this is the first time I've seen these axles in person and I must say they are pretty neat.
Attached Images

Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I don't think those Drive Shafts are long enough. You need the other Revo Shafts. The ones with a Blue dust cover.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

just get pead sliders
octigonwallrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Iv'e got 2 sets of those. just took a picture of one. If they need to be longer which I think they will be close, I am planing to set up the tranny closer to the front axle to use the stock shaft and then either cut one up to extend it or I have a small carrier bearing to run a two peice shaft. I did this in my last 1to1 buggy and it realy gave me great ground clearance. Also I was going to try the two peice rear and incorpurate a rear disconect in the uper piece, were it would be protected, instead of down near the rocks.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Is that not going to work???? Well even if it does I should have all my rear disconect in cad in a day or two, I'm going with a diferent aproch than the stick in the spokes method. I'm going to hold the rear end with the driveshaft instead.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Got some parts in the mail today, a stealth tranny and my rx. Irealy like this tranny, the motor is all the way down at the bottom next to the outputs. I am going to machine a piece to replace the spur gear side output so that I can clear the gear when I put the revo yolk on it, no biggie, but this will also give me a little more room on the driveshafts.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just finished the cad on the extended output. I made the part to work with the other output so that it eliminates all the berrings and the steel balls so the tranny can be locked simply by snugging down the bolt that holds the two peices together. This will make using revo shafts possable without any limitations on spur gear selection. I will be making these monday afternoon ans since it will all be cnc I will make more if I am pm'ed by monday at 3:00 pm. I would like $20 for them. This will be a onetime thing I do not plan on making anymore so I don't think I will need a star. If any of the moderators has a problem with this just edit this post. I just hate setting up a cnc to make one part when I can make 10 in about the same time. I am just trying to help people out, I think this is a good tranny and I like revo shafts to.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kamikaze; 07-29-2006 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

one more
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2006, 07:41 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

wow that looks really interesting!!! i think more people would like to see it work first before buying it
crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I was more concerned with how many would be interested so I would have an idea as to how many extras I make, I want 3 for myself for future builds and if 3 or 4 people want one to and tell me then if it works, which there really isn't any reason it shouldn't, I will have them. Like I said, it's all cnc so it might take me 20 min to write the program and maybe 2 min a part per process, so if I make 3 or 25 it doesn't mater to me. I think it will take 3 setups to complete so I can multi task.

Any way if anyone is interested let me know.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Success!!! Now I could run a 96 tooth spur gear but with the 12 tooth pinion I think it would be to slow. Most important though I can now run revo yolks without any interferance, plus a little smoother belly pan.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I got 2 micro servos off of one of my demolished heli's, one to disconect the drive shaft and one to brake the axle. Also I ordered a moped, I didn't think the duratrax would like 4 servos very much.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

wow i didn't catch this thread before , did you make the extra extended yokes?, after trying to figure out an easy way to install a losi with traxxas shafts i gave up and ordered a stealth tranny . pm if you still have them.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Finally bent some tube, this project sorta went to the back burner for a bit, but since I'm signed up for 2.2 at bucks pocket this weekend I guess I will be building a little quicker. Updated parts list includes 2 hytec 645 servos from my super, (I ordered some 1/4 scale hytecs), and a moped esc. Hpi rims also. I still need to bend up the rear shock hoops and some servo mounts for the rear dig, as for batteries I have two sets of 3000 mah 6 cell packs that I took apart but now I'm thinking about those 2 1/18 nylint packs that I have laying around. Oh well save that decision for latter.
I will try my hardest to have this one ready for saturday. Opinions????
Attached Images

Old 08-14-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

that looks terrible, you should send it to me at once!
It looks good , do you plan on using chain links for your link mounting like on your super?
I like how the shock hoops flow very smooth into the chassis kinda like a wave. Are the rear hoops going to continue like that?

Last edited by blue-beard; 08-14-2006 at 05:45 PM.
blue-beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:37 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Alright I got some work done today. For the front suspension I went with something out of the norm, a true 3 link suspinsion, I'm hoping that it will reduce torque twist, the rear is a 4 link but I turned the pinion up to get the rear driveshaft higher for the rear disconect and the ground clearance. I went ahead and ditched the rear servo, I figure if I can't run rear steer in a comp I might as well not get spoiled with it. Anyway w/b is 12.25" center clearance is 4", pinion is 12 tooth, 84 tooth spur. any sugestions for battery placement??? also with this beeing my first single motored crawler, what kind of run time would I get from a 750 mah pack. Suggestions welcome.

And for the sercrc guys, yall won't mind if I drive this thing unpainted and raw like it is cause I don't think I'll have time to strip it down and put it back together again, I doubt that my front dig will be operational either.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

4 more
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2006, 07:20 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Nice tuber!..You may want top bend your lower links to allow more clearence under that bad boy. I bent mine and was really suprised how much more I could do with it!
phishead1101 is offline   Reply With Quote