Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: stock tranny redefined

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default stock tranny redefined

being bored i tore my truck apart. i was looking at the tranny and thought, there has got to be a way to make it small and get the COG down with out laying it down. apon further looking i decided to go with the metal plate and base the tranny off that. so now i have a tranny no bigger then the metal plate, except for where the spur gear hangs over and a little of the belt. i'm just finishing it, and will snap some pics while its apart.
Bknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2006, 11:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

pics!
trost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

here they are. sorry for the shotty craftsmanship, i'm still working on a better way to cut things(currently using a jig saw)
so basicaly you take the top black parts and make every thing fit on them, cept its all made out of cutting board.
front

side

close up of side

back

other side

i do know the one part is a little slanted, i just got tired so its going to get fixed tomorrow

open to all suggestions or what ever
Old 07-27-2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks good. Hope it works for you. Keep us updated.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #5

It's still a belt drive (and they suck)
SW2Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
06 Super National Champ

Your layshafts should be parallel to each other and perpendicular to the tranny plates.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

build one like this

or buy it
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGRESSor
build one like this

or buy it
Not really what he is trying to do is it?
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

not really really trying for a real tranny. i was just bored and was trying to make what i had better. i may consider building a custom tranny with metal gears doesn't look to hard now
i've ran my belt for about 10 hours and havn't had one problem. i am only running a 27t motor and 12t pinion, but it goes up any thing, it has enough torque, but has never slipped the belt

what gears would i need to build a custom tranny?

Last edited by Bknight; 07-27-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Clever...I'm putting in a different tranny and maybe I should expiriment a little.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

as far as i see it, if it doesn't work i can put it back to stock. but i like to mess with every thing, and try an be as different from every one else as much as possible
Old 07-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

update for ya all. i finally had enough time to finish it up for the most part. no pics yet cause its still ugly and isn't all done. the most important thing though, is it does work. i've found one down side so far, and that is i didn't drill the hole for the rear out put shaft far enough into the case and the bearing sorta falls out, that'll be fixed with some glue to hold it in, and it will work fine. the chassis is kinda wierd, i'm running the shocks on the top, far forward hole, and it still has more flex then i would like. if i have it where i want them, it will do axle stands (one at 90 and just chill there) pretty sure i'm going to try my luck at a stick and see what happens. once i get the bottum skid made and it looking nice i'll snap some pics
Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I was actually working on a tranny and had a 2 gear transmission made up, but it turns out one of the pitches on the gear was off.
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Default Update

every things put to gether and i've put about a pack through it. the tranny part works fine, the stick is pretty cool, i'm diggin it. the only thing that sucks is i keep drops the front drive shaft so it makes driving a little hard. i guess i'll try and put a shim under the servo to push the axle up a little
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #15
RCC Addict

I am not sure I understand whats going on. Do you keep losing a drive shaft? If you have too much play in the dogbone, I have found that if you take the spring out of a writing pen and cut it in half (or thirds if the drive cup is small) and put one in each drive cup, the dogbone will stay centered as things move. I used to do this with all my dogbone equipped R/C's. Rarely lost one then.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:13 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I think this is a great idea, make what came stock better. I was thinking of something similar, but replace the belt with gears. How hard do you think that would be? Got my TLT kit last week, gonna build it stock and get it running before i rebuild it as a crawler.
azxj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Bknight. Just a little info for you. Well, this is what I did. Got a solid rod of aluminum from the LHS, 1/4" I think, and put it in a drill, clamped the drill into a vice and milled the rod down with a metal file until I could press it into the drive cups on the tranny. Then milled the tips of them down to fit Traxxis sliders in them. Also drilled a hole in then rod and installed a pin in it at the slots in the cups. Work out great. I've got some pics of it if you want.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

ya, i'd like to see some pics

as for gears, i'm not sure how hard, the belt does fine though, i've never had my slip, neither has my friend
Old 08-03-2006, 01:20 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

i figured the spring idea out very quick, i've been using it. what is happening is when the front tires come to a vertical surface and i get on the gas to much, the force turns the front axle down, then they find the magic place and jsut fall out. i think i'll put a wedge under my front servo and try some other stuff