Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Opinions Wanted.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Opinions Wanted.

so i been playing with solid axle trucks recently and i need peoples opinions as to what to do with my tlt so far. im stretching it to fit under a hpi bronco body, so i used traxxas tmaxx tierods and the stock tlt shocks (for now) to handle the mock ups. any suggestions or tips on what i should do to get the most articulation out of my current setup? im not really into buying aftermarket chassis or anything, since im building a budget crawler

Last edited by 1BadJeepBruiser; 08-16-2006 at 08:23 AM.
julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2006, 02:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

see the stickies at the top of this page (TLT) for building tips. , the hot set up is a torsion chassis and can be made real easy.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

And CHEAP!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Ditch that stock belt drive tranny. And get a Losi xxx-t, Stealth B4, or a Pede tranny to replace it. All those can work with the stock Chassis plates. Run some Maxx or Revo shafts for your drive lines. You are going to need a longer links for that wheelbase on that body. Either make your own which is real simple. Or buy some. I really don't know what you have and don't have already or what kind of budget you have. For Budget stuff get Maxx Shocks, MOPED ESC, TQ3 and try to find a set of used 2.2 wheels and tires. Oh and you will need servo's too. The cheapest I have found new ones for are BMS-620 made by blue bird. You will need to run servo savers with them, but there only 15 bucks. So if you go just 2WS you maybe able to get it going battery and all for under 200.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 08-13-2006 at 02:40 PM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

i have the maxx shocks already and i have a novak xrs in my hpi rally that i intended to use. couple tq3's laying around, etc. im not really concerned with the eletronics right now since the truck isnt even in roller form yet

i have plenty of aluminum rod around here for my goliath project, but i was wondering what the idea stretch is on the tlt-1 to get the most out of the suspension and to still look right under the body
Old 08-13-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
RCC Addict

If you check out my Budget Bronco build here: First crawler - Stock chassis - Who needs expensive stuff... 56k beware you can see how I did the stock chassis with a Pede tranny. Works really well on a variety of surfaces and even has decent side hill capabilities. I was crawling at Half Moon Bay beach with it this weekend and only had a few tip-overs with it.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

nice write up trikster, its helping me alot with my suspension layout. i got a quick question though, do you NEED springs for a crawler? it seems to flex alot better without them on the stock shocks
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 PM   #8
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie
nice write up trikster, its helping me alot with my suspension layout. i got a quick question though, do you NEED springs for a crawler? it seems to flex alot better without them on the stock shocks
I would use springs. If you don't, you'll get alot of torque twist/body roll. Any shaft driven rig should run springs. Clods can get away with it because they don't have driveshafts.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #9

springs like bender said or everything just gets mushy
mindwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

ill proly use tmaxx shocks with the softest ones i can find then. the stock shocks are too limited for my tastes since they dont compress enough and theres no spring options
Old 08-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ok so i spent some time tweaking it and changing stuff and i ended up with this

im off to a good start i think. just need to keep adjusting it till its right
Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

what do u want to do with this truck?

if u get a stealth, i could show u what i did to make an unbeleiveably good chassis using the stock chassis.
Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

whats a stealth?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

yeah, i looked about 10 seconds after posting. thanks for the useless tip.

anyway, a stealth isnt what im interested in. im gonna run a stampede tranny eventually once i get sick of the stock tranny slipping
Old 08-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Heres what I did to my Stock TLT Chassis...
Attached Images

Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:15 PM   #16
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie
ok so i spent some time tweaking it and changing stuff and i ended up with this

im off to a good start i think. just need to keep adjusting it till its right
I like it, if crawling for fun is all your going to. Everyone is trying to wash you into the beaten path. Sure a better tranny would help the durabilliy and center of gravity. But, who cares if your just going to have fun climbing with it. Really you just have to experience the truck for yourself and tweak it as you like. Get a few hours under the truck and you will find the weaknesses. Everybodys rock crawl area is different. This sport requires tuning and modifying as no one setup is the best.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

here is my stock modified tlt chassis for a tranny i used a traxxas stampede tranny

Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I think you are off to a good start.

Last edited by Trikster; 08-15-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
RCC Addict

i like how you are using the stock chassis. you might want to use shorter upper links, just enough to make your axles level. this will keep your steering managable. also, you might want to ditch the front/rear bumpers. that will improve your approach angle. the stock TLT trans will bum you out, but you already said you are getting a stampede tranny anyways. i run the stock TLT shocks on my SW2 crawler. using longer ball ends, they are the same length as maxx shocks. work great on my rig.
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:17 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

ok i think i found what i wanted for my suspension. what i did was add a few holes along the extensions on the chassis plates and attached my shocks. they compress and move up perfectly. for the 4 links i have the same mounts as in my 2nd set of pics, only i have them coming together at the middle hole near the tranny. might be a lil too soft, as in the truck is gonna sag fully weighted, so ill have to see. might need to use spacers on the springs or switch over to tmaxx shocks. im quite pleased though since my driveshaft will bolt up perfectly, theres no side to side play in the axle, and it articulates alot before it binds. shes look good now