Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: High Clearence Links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default High Clearence Links

are they worth it ? i notice on my jefferson chassis with savage lower links i get hung up on them often. i was thinking of ordering the delrin ones but i would like to hear some of your oppinions.

i was thinking of making some out of aluminum but im thinking the delrin will slide better.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I have been wondering the same thing, I hope we get some good answers...
BlueMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

Delrin links will definitely be better, especially HC links. They slide over the rocks alot better then aluminum. Your driveshafts will take alot more abuse though, with HC links. So make sure they're up to it.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

im running the typical pede shafts.is there only one source for the delrin links ?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Mine are Revo, I can beat the crap outta them!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:36 AM   #6
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I've got two rigs; one with HC delrin links and the other with straight alloy links. And there is a very noticable difference between the two. And I think I'd disagree on how much punishment the pinion yoke takes. I don't think it's any worse than straight links.

If both tires crest an obstacle at a lower point than the middle of the axle does, the pinion is gonna take a hit no matter if you run bent links or not. But the HC links won't drag like the straight links do.

I think driveshaft punishment is gonna depend on the angle of the driveshafts and the diameter of the tire. If the pinion yoke sticks out farther than the radius of the tire, it's gonna be more vulnerable to the rocks.

Does this make sense or do I just sound like I'm talking outta my ***? Or is this just obvious to everyone already?

This may also be obvious to others, but I run the female end of the driveshaft on the axle because the if you run the male side, the lip on the yoke catches on EVERYTHING.

I also can't think of any other source for pre-made delrin links other than Xtreme RC or Double J.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Hello, I hate to pimp my stuff here but we carry straight and high clearance links as well as 2 different materials, 3 different sizes, 2 different sizes of all thread insets, two different sizes of rod ends, and coming very soon a large selection of link colors. What Bender said is very true. The HC links are great but you should have a strong drive shaft. I highly recommend Revo shaft, absolutely huge! Another way to protect your driveshaft, run HC links and have a world of clearance in the very near future may be to clock your axle with adjustable C-Hubs. Look for an update this week!!!

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies

Last edited by insanerc; 10-23-2006 at 12:50 AM.
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
RCC Addict

insanerc,

I should've ordered them when I ordered my axle ends the other day! Oh well... How do I order a specific length thickest diameter black delrin bent set?
Old 10-23-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMonster
insanerc,

I should've ordered them when I ordered my axle ends the other day! Oh well... How do I order a specific length thickest diameter black delrin bent set?
Hey buddy,

You can just go to our web site and pick out what you want there. If you don't see it just email or pm me here with what you would like and I'll give you a price. We help people out with link details all of the time. It's not a bother to us at all, it's our business.

Sincerely,
David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 AM   #10
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B
And I think I'd disagree on how much punishment the pinion yoke takes. I don't think it's any worse than straight links.
Driveshafts take way more abuse with HC links, there is no way around it.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have been running HC rear links (bent revo red pushrods) for months and i wont ever go back to straight rear links. It allows me to get further up an obstacle without getting hung up. It also helps on breakovers a little. Sure the shaft gets a little beat, but it hasnt casued any strength issues whatsover, probably since i run steel yokes, and the pinion is pointed up at the trans output.
I havent tried front HC links yet and im not sure there will be a large benefit since they are shorter than the rears in my application, plus, the front pinion is alot lower, which will negate most of the advantage.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 08:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Talking

Sort of a noob question here, but is there a certain formula for making high clearance links?
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

formula ? or process ? im sure there is. a template is proly used and some heat for the delrin links.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted
formula ? or process ? im sure there is. a template is proly used and some heat for the delrin links.
You will also want to heat the aluminum links as well. It doesn't stress the metal when heated.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:34 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Talking

Anyone willing to tell me how to calculate the right lengths?
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
yeah make em too long and cut till they fit
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
draw it on a piece of paper. Make it straight then add the angel you want. See if it fits the WB you're after, then make adjustments.

OR

make it 1/2" or a 1/4" to long bend until you like it.

Or

Just do it and come out build at the WB it has on it as is.

Basically you can play with different ways to do it.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:51 PM   #18
Im Brandon

HC links rock. When I competed in moab my sw2 didnt pass inspection, 1/4" too long, solution: bend the rear links I had to make a few adjustments to get the ride height back where I wanted it but since then I have not messed with them. They work great

As a side note I did change the pinion angle on the rear so the yokes angle with respect to the ground matches the links. Bender is right they take way more abuse with HC links.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Another way is to build a simple jig from wood, position your chassis and axles, then you can get exact measurement and make sure that you don't end up with you caster way off. Here's a pic of how easy it is, wheelbase was set, axles squared, set at 0 degrees caster, links measured and installed.

David

Old 10-24-2006, 05:07 PM   #20
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Delrin links will definitely be better, especially HC links. They slide over the rocks alot better then aluminum. Your driveshafts will take alot more abuse though, with HC links. So make sure they're up to it.
I agree.

Bender made me some HC Delrin links for my new comp rig and I love them. Very beefy and as smooth as my shaved ***.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote