Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: It Begins.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default It Begins.....

Greetings, well now that some of my parts for my build have arrived i can finally start working on her. So heres my issue, i have a hard body that i am rather praticular about, it came off my Isuzu MU Type X, its a nice looking body. The problem is that the WB on the body is a Full Inch and a Half shorter than what i want it to be. So its time to draw on the collective and see if some of you geniouses can help me figure this one out...

What i really want to know is do you guys think it will be worth the time and the headache to extend this body, does anyone think it would look dumb/cool?
I want ALL opinions on this, good or bad, id rather find out that it isnt worth the effort than hack up a body that i could later use for a scale project instead. So yeah tell me everything please

Here is a simple side shot, as you can see i lack length. My idea is to cut the body in half right at the door jams, then add a section to give it the needed length.

Just another side shot nothing special

A shot from the rear, this shot is more to give you an idea on the body dimensions.

Heres an overhead shot to help gague the relation of axle length to body witdth, Do the tires stick out too much(Dont forget there will be Moabs on this praticular truck)

Just a measurement of the GC, i think just under 4 inches is plenty. Any one think its too high or too low?

A shot from the front, im thinking about cutting the airdam out from below the chrome to allow better aproach angles

So yeah thats it, so any ideas suggestions? Is there anyone on the site that has done alot of classy hardbody work that would wanna give me a few pointers?
But yeah the main thing is, is this going to work like i hope it will?
Canadian Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

i agree with stretchig the body a bit, but might be economical just to get a lexan body

might want to look into 2.2 wheels and tires moabs,mashers etc....

dont go over zelous on the ground clearance since it will effect the COG greatly

are you using this rig for comps or just bashing? that will determine if beefing up weak components with aluminum will be key!

great start thought, make sure u read the stickies since they are illed with useful literature

Goodluck with the build, make sure u update this thread with pics

-mike
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

streching that body will be a PITA for sure...

good luck; i will watch this thread for updates.

matt
cincy
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah as i said in one of the picture captions that im going to throw on some moabs, so tires and wheels are taken care of.
I kinda forgot about COG i know its stupid of me so ill have to drop my ride height.

As much as id LOVE to take this thing to comps, unfourtunatly there are none in my area, So its just me and the lil woman with my nylint goofing for now........maybe one day ill be able to afford a moab trip :S

And yeah ive run through a few of the stickies......im a stickie preacher myself lol

but yeah thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek6mt
i agree with stretchig the body a bit, but might be economical just to get a lexan body

might want to look into 2.2 wheels and tires moabs,mashers etc....

dont go over zelous on the ground clearance since it will effect the COG greatly

are you using this rig for comps or just bashing? that will determine if beefing up weak components with aluminum will be key!

great start thought, make sure u read the stickies since they are illed with useful literature

Goodluck with the build, make sure u update this thread with pics

-mike
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I personally think you might want to save it for a scale build. But if you do decide to stretch the body I'd add a small Triangle window from the pics it looks like you'll need to extend it out about 3/4 the length of the door and if you don't add a window it would look a bit funny and I haven't seen tomany of those in 4 door. ? .
I'd go with a new body. It is defenatly something different.

EDIT: you can go to some WA comps couldn't you?
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #6

i'm in canada as well. i'm just starting on building, slowly, a tlt1 semi- crawler. nothing for compitition just running over stuff and for show. do you have any usefull cdn links for parts etc... thanks

adam
PLUMBUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
I personally think you might want to save it for a scale build. But if you do decide to stretch the body I'd add a small Triangle window from the pics it looks like you'll need to extend it out about 3/4 the length of the door and if you don't add a window it would look a bit funny and I haven't seen tomany of those in 4 door. ? .
I'd go with a new body. It is defenatly something different.

EDIT: you can go to some WA comps couldn't you?
Yeah i could make some WA events, since its only a few hours drive from where i live, im about 4 hours from the WA/BC boarder.....ill have to keep that in mind thanks J, does the WA area have a site where i can look at event dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMBUM
i'm in canada as well. i'm just starting on building, slowly, a tlt1 semi- crawler. nothing for compitition just running over stuff and for show. do you have any usefull cdn links for parts etc... thanks

adam
Hello fellow canuck, Depending on your area you may have some pretty good LHS's in your area, i know in kelowna there are at least 2 really good HS's, Williams Lake has a decent one, Vancouver is filled with them. But if your like me and your LHS sucks some serious ballz then you have to rely on the internet. This is the site i get my general parts from, Elecs, ETC
www.hobbypeople.net, great deals.......any they ship to canada cheap which is a bonus.........and for any specialty parts, Frames, Links ETC. I use this site for those, Just cruise through the vendor section, there are alot of members on here who hold vendor stars and are very talented and make high quality parts. I just got a VS frame, tranny, and 4-links fron Jason at double J products, great guy (Shameless plug J, i want a discount on my next order ). But as i said check out the vendors on this site, they are more than willing to help anyone out it would seem.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks like a good start, but definitely plan on a lower skidplate height using the tires you will run. I think 3.5"s is the most belly clearance needed on a 12.5" WB. I run less than 3". As for the body, just cut the hell out of it! You will need to clearance it ALOT unless you want it WAY up high. I would just get a lexan body, since they are lighter and take alot more abuse.
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

if it were me I would comp cut that thing! it would still look scale seeing as how real 1:1 rigs get stretched and comp cut all the time! I would either do that or just save that body for a later build! just my $.02
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I dig the VS. I would slam it down about an inch or two, shorten the wheel base a bit. That would be much easier than streching the body to fit.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman
I dig the VS. I would slam it down about an inch or two, shorten the wheel base a bit. That would be much easier than streching the body to fit.

Shed have to be a Really short WB, im still thinkin about it. Hard descision to make.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:22 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

The body and wheelbase are both fine, you just have the body too far forward on the frame. Don't try to alter that body, that thing is sweet. Just re-mount the body so it's even on the frame. So the inside lower links are even with the bottom edge between the wheelwells.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 06:18 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Well, my thought is running shorter links in the front, something like a 60/40 split, it would bring the wheels closer to the wheel arch of the body and give you more weight in the front.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

thats a pretty good start
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Well, my thought is running shorter links in the front, something like a 60/40 split, it would bring the wheels closer to the wheel arch of the body and give you more weight in the front.

That might not be a bad idea, i saw a hummer body today that was decent.......but the RC that it was mounted on top of was a bit expensive for new bright
Old 11-24-2006, 10:10 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i agree that would be the best and easyest way to do that
Jo Mama is offline   Reply With Quote