Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: (TLT) Few problems after 1/10 scale converstion and 4channel radio...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #1

Default (TLT) Few problems after 1/10 scale converstion and 4channel radio...

for starters i got a stock tlt last weekend, yesterday i added a integy lathe motor, futaba R132JE receiver, futaba attack radio,16T mild-mod intellispeed ESC , and some 1500 stick packs, some bigger wheels and tires.
today i converted it to 1/10 scale (106mm uppers 116 lowers), a GWT4AH fm radio, GWS R-4PII 4channel receiver, added another futaba s3003 servo (rear steer)

yesterday it was "crawling" really well no problems at all, i added everything today, and when it gets under load (pull it up to a wall or something) the red light comes on, on the ESC the motor even smoked a few times, i discovered a loose solder connection and fixed that, it still stops under load. could the receiver be to blame? i know it is all really low quality electronics are they to blame?
any help is appreciated...
hpi_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Unplug your rear steer and see if that helps. Did you ever break in the motor to begin with? I think you're drawing too much power from the servos and the motor is suffering.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:34 PM   #3

nope never broke in motor, could you explain this? i specifically asked if electric motors had break in at my LHS.

how would i up my power so i can run front and rear servos?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Well, try unplugging the rear servo and see if it fixes your problem, before you start into it. But basically you just plug a receiver pack or 4 AA's into the batt slot in your Rx.

For break in, just take the pinion off and run the motor at full throttle for a pack, or if it just keeps going and going, keep it on for about 25minutes.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:28 AM   #5

unhooked rear servo, no difference you pull it up against a rock or something and it still quits running.

could a different ESC fix this? and if so why was this not happening before?

is it the receiver?

TIA
Old 02-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Troubleshoting!

You might start w/ swapping out the RX since thats on the list of things you last changed and theres nothing to solder. Then If you have another ESC swap it. Then the motor, one at a time untill you isolate the problem. Really it is the quickest easiest way. IMO... Hope this helps
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Exactly what he said. I don't know if you have any friends near you into electric RC, but maybe you can borrow one of their batteries. Did you peak charge your battery? The lathe is a slow motor, so maybe it looks fully charged but isn't.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #8

have 3 batteries and tried them.

the receiver is a micro size unit,

the people at my LHS said i cant use it in conjunction with servos (the same people who told me it would work!)
Old 02-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Default sounds like gearing

sounds to me like your motor's overloaded the ESC. what gearing are you running? stock TLT ratios are way too high, especially with bigger wheels. slap the biggest spur gear you can find on there (96T works well) and the smallest pinion.

the GWS receiver works best with little weeny airplane servos, but it should power standard servos okay. wouldn't try high torque units, tho. but since the ESC is overloading (not the receiver) i don't think the problem is with your electronics. i use the Duratrax 12T ESC in my TLT-10 and have had no problem. Titan 550 motor with 96/13 gears.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote