Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Yota BMVII

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 07:32 AM   #21
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL
All these BMv2 popping out of the woodwork looking good! So how many BMv2 are there gonna be at nationals this year?
You're starting to see them a lot. I've really been against torsion rigs since I started getting into crawling but this is the first one I have liked and its changing my mind. I am very temped to run it a the next comp but I think I will stick with my j2-tt because I have a lot more run time on it and the corse requires more articulation. We'll see though, I am going to test it out today on some rocks. I have a buddy that is going to run it at the next comp and if he beats me I will probably have to switch to that for my comp rig.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

hi. nice rig i really dig that body even though i hate yotas but it look sweet.i have made my own bmv2 and i know its smaller than the original.but i get a lot more flex from mine then all of the bmv2s that i have seen.i get 4 3/4 inches on the front and a hair ove 5 on the back. so i was wondering y????
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

hey i forgot to tell u. i run the same style batt on mine and i placed it on the same side as u but insted i stood the batt up on its side and siptied it to the tranny plate.and it does not restrict my flex at all.i hope this can help.
nitromtcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #24
'08 2.2 National Champ

I got to drive it some this morning. I definately have to modify my driving style from my other rig but near vertical stuff was awesome! There were a couple moves that I have figured out with my other rig that I couldn't do with this but I think its more me than the truck. That being said I will run my J2-tt at the comp for sure but mostly because I know it better.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh
I got to drive it some this morning. I definately have to modify my driving style from my other rig but near vertical stuff was awesome! There were a couple moves that I have figured out with my other rig that I couldn't do with this but I think its more me than the truck. That being said I will run my J2-tt at the comp for sure but mostly because I know it better.
I'm right there with you. I spent a good part of yesterday putting more weight on my truck until I could do some of the stuff I did with my SW2. It really amazes me how different the rigs are. I think I'm going to run this rig for this season. I have my SW2 down, but what's the fun in staying the same.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, I too am adding weight (strategically) to my BM-VII.

But it's easier to add weight down low than to try and remove it from from places it can't easily be removed.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #27
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan

But it's easier to add weight down low than to try and remove it from from places it can't easily be removed.
I agree 100%
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan

So is the BMVii too light? I guess we can try to make the axle plates out of steel....
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
So is the BMVii too light? I guess we can try to make the axle plates out of steel....
Honestly, I think I like the idea of putting the weight in the tires or on the axles. I've been putting tape weights on the front and rear axles instead of having more weight up top. Down low is the way to go.

I weighed my rig just a few mins ago (brought it with me to work) and I'm at 6.5 lbs with a sub C pack so far, balance is about 60/40 towards the front. How heavy are the rest of you ending up? I found that's enough to cause some droop where I want it for going up hills. Less up there and it seems to twist and rebound back.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That might not be a bad idea.

I would rather have it to light and add the weight down low were it will help.

Mine ready to crawl set up w/ a lathe motor, 8 cell battery, RC4WD bead locks and the Badlands tires is 5 lbs 11 ozs.

Change that to a BL motor, 2.2 in Mashers and HPI wheels And I'll bet it's well under 5 lbs. easy.

Last edited by dezfan; 01-22-2007 at 02:41 PM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #31

looks cool but not very much flex with it, id slide the tranny forward to get a bit more flex out of it
dave
davidcrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Don't add weight to the chassis, I think the trick is going to be adding weight to the axles or wheels, preferably the wider and lower the better because it will articulate better and keep the COG low. That is what makes this chassis so great is the low COG. Unlike other link chassis you will have to add it to the front and rear not just the front.
I am planning on moving the tranny farther forward but I have to get a different battery first.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:25 PM   #33
'08 2.2 National Champ

So I got a 6 cell tamiya 1700 triagle shaped batter that works much better and looks better too. I moved the tranny forward. I added about 2 oz of weight to each tire which has increased flex some, I now get about 3.5" where I was getting about 2.75".

So I finally got some real run time with it today. First impressions are that its a very capable rig, verticals are great!. Smooth side hills are very good and the low profile actually lets you get under stuff. I know getting under stuff sounds weird but its fun to sneak under overhangs that other rigs have to go around.

This chassis and I assume any torsion chassis has a tendency to sling-shot the crawler into a roll over in the right circumstances. I wish there was some way to add some damping to it but I can't think of anything.

In all I am very happy with it. It is fun to have something so different than my other crawlers and it makes you learn a new driving style which is cool too.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:38 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson420
You have a tire on backwards

Looks Good
Do you have any weight in the tires?

no he has 3 on backwards!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:44 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgiveereh
Don't add weight to the chassis, I think the trick is going to be adding weight to the axles or wheels, preferably the wider and lower the better because it will articulate better and keep the COG low. That is what makes this chassis so great is the low COG. Unlike other link chassis you will have to add it to the front and rear not just the front.
I am planning on moving the tranny farther forward but I have to get a different battery first.

actually by making the axle plates out of steel he would be adding the weight to the axles where you want it!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:45 AM   #36
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex
actually by making the axle plates out of steel he would be adding the weight to the axles where you want it!
What about doing the front and rear in aluminum and the center in delran. It does get hung up on stuff some and it would help if it was delran, I think.
Wheel weight is still better than steel plates though because is is centered on the mid line of the axle and the plate is slightly above the axle.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #37
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex
no he has 3 on backwards!
I fixed the tire but in my mind having them the direction I run them makes sense because it pulls to the center of the tire instead of out. Honestly, I don't think it makes a difference though.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:59 AM   #38
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Steel would be cool but, having a fixed plate with a "floating" wire inside, I would be a little concerned about glitching problems.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #39
'08 2.2 National Champ

Here's a picture with the new modifications.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM   #40
'08 2.2 National Champ

So I let my friend borrow this rig to compete at the last UTRCRC comp. He took third with a little luck. but just a little. He was the second to even run the courses and had only driven it around for 5 minutes in my living room the night before. I think it goes to show how good this rig is. With more time with it and knowing the rules better it could be scary how well he does.

I have decided I am going to continue with my j2-tt for my main rig but I also have more driving time with it and have spent hours and hours tweaking the set up. That is one of the best things about the bmv, set up is very simple. If the course is right though, who knows, maybe I'll run the BMV.

I drove the bmv around for a while after the comp and was very impressed. Especially because I have approximately half the $ in this one.
If you want a very competitive crawler, for a great price, that is easy to set up you absolutely cannot go wrong with the BMV! It took a couple of big tumbles and held up fine.