Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A quick update on my SW2....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #1

Default A quick update on my SW2....

Since getting a new TLT about a month ago, I've been working on building it up into more reliable crawler and one that will be able to compete without getting completly outmatched. Over the past week or so I've added the following items to the little guy.
  • 40/60 links
  • Aluminum steering knuckles in the front
  • Fat Rock Axel C's
  • Aluminum Beadlocks from RC4WD.com
  • IMEX All-T tires (will try them out tomorrow)
  • A new body
I've also limited the travel of the shocks in both the front and rear to lower the CG and limit flex to a pop can's height (the picture below is as far as it will go).

The only future upgrades I have planned are the CVD's when they are released and a set of Masher 2K's for multiple tire choices.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw an update here for all to see.

Here are some pics of the changes:

Before

After

The difference in size between the IMEX ALL-T tires and Proline Moab's

Wookiebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

looks nice like the paint job
jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:12 PM   #3

Performance wise, how do you like the battery mounted low center of the chassis vs. ontop of the front steering servo? How much does it affect your break over? It looks a hell of alot cleaner having that battery hidden under the body. Nice setup and good job on the paint.
MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIMUS
Performance wise, how do you like the battery mounted low center of the chassis vs. ontop of the front steering servo? How much does it affect your break over? It looks a hell of alot cleaner having that battery hidden under the body. Nice setup and good job on the paint.

I like the battery where I have it mounted. It doesn't increase the CG any because it's at the same height as it would be on the front servo. It also balances the center of the chassis. The battery weighs about the same as the motor, which hangs off the other side of the chassis (they both are about the same distance off the chassis as well).

The breakover angle is helped by the 40/60 links moving the weight forward on the chassis compared to a 50/50 set up and is probably pretty close overall in weight balance (fore/aft) when compared to a 50/50 set up with the battery over the front axle.

And, yes....It's a lot cleaner and easy to change out batteries where it's located.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:49 PM   #5

Just a few pictures from today and 2 short videos...

Videos

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=100_3158.flv

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=100_3164.flv

Pictures

Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Wookiebiker,

What suspension rods are you using? details please Truck looks very nice!
bretkissick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretkissick
Wookiebiker,

What suspension rods are you using? details please Truck looks very nice!

I'm assuming you are talking about the links....They are from Xtreem RC hobbies http://www.xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/aluminumlinkshtml.html

I picked up a 60/40 set from them. They are just the basic ones used for the XRC chassis. If you want some for the SW2 you will need a shorter set for the top front links. I'm using the top front on the back and where I have them mounted kicks the back angle of the axel up perfectly, but I'm still using the thin stock links from the TLT on the front, which actually work fine.

If you are talking about the shocks they are Hotbodies T-Max shock with the travel shortened by 1/2" an inch in the front and 1/4" inch in the rear. Which lower the truck and also limits total flex in the suspension.

With the IMEX All-T tires I get approximately 3.35" of center clearance and with Proline Moabs I get right at 3".
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #8

I decided to make a few more changes to my truck this weekend, for the fun of it I just felt like going brushless.

So I went to the local hobby shop and picked up a new outrunner brushless motor (around 950kv) and already had a Mamba 25. After messing around the house I wasn't happy with the Mamba 25 in my crawler, the BEC current wasn't high enough to handle the servo and it caused the ESC to give out on my too much.

So today I went back to the hobby store and picked up a Quark 33 ESC, that seems to be working much better overall. It has 3 amps for BEC instead of the 1.5 the Mamba did. The Quark still has a few quirks but it seems to be working well.

I also added a 2100 3s Lipo (11.1v) pack to my crawler and am running an 11 tooth pinion with 87 spur. The amount of weight saved is pretty crazy and the speed/power is better with this set up than my 65t Axiom with 8.4v NiMh's. Also the effeciency of the set up should be much better and I expect to get a little over an hour of run time the way it's currently set up.

I'm still waiting on a few things to get it properly set up. I've got a motor mounting plate coming in since the smaller brushless motor isn't a direct drop in and mounting it with the hardware it came with was a pain in the butt. I'm also going to replace the Pede housings since I had to trim them to get the motor in properly.

Hopefully, once it's all said and done, I'll be able to get some testing in sometime soon, assuming the rain ever stops here in Oregon.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

How do the Imex compar to the Moabs?
rcca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcca
How do the Imex compar to the Moabs?
I love the extra size/height they provide. I also like the extra weight, but due to the extra weight they are a bit harder on the axles (the CVD's need to come out quick).

Traction wise, it depends on where you use them. On smooth surfaces they are not as good, but if the area has things to hook on to they work fine. Personally, I'd love it if they made them 3/4" narrower. One day I may try my hand at narrowing them, but that will be a ways off if I do.

With the beadlocks I can run them with or without foams, and actually have a normal 2.2" foam in there which gives about 1/2" of float between the tire and foam. That gives good compression on the rocks and helps them hook up a little.

If you compete on tight courses they wouldn't be the first choice of tire though.