Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stock tlt-1 driveshaft stretch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #1

Default Stock tlt-1 driveshaft stretch

i just finished stretching out my stock tlt chassis, this is my first tlt crawler build so i am keeping it simple with the stock tranny and chassis. i know i'll probably get hooked and redo the whole thing with a stampede tranny, but here's what i did when the time came time to stretch the driveshafts out. i was not comfortable with press fitting the cut shafts into a roll pin in case that i might have run into binding issues and wanted to keep it adjustable. i used the same 1/4 inch aluminum i used for the links and drilled out the ends to be a snug fit to the cut dogbones. it is important that the holes are straight so a lathe is best- but maybe it could be done free hand. i then grinded down a flat spot on each cut shaft just like the shaft on the electric motors where the pinion would attach. i cross drilled each end of the aluminum extensions to accept a grub screw and tapped them. once i insert the cut dogbones i can move them in and out to get the perfect length, then lock them down on the flat spot with the grub screws, test fit them in the truck and when i am sure everything is perfect i remove the grub screws and locktite them in. so far i have run a few packs through it crawling the couch and what not without any slipping.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i did the same thing with mine, but after a while the alu begins to strech out.
so i ended up with dubro collars around mine. they are steel and arent as easily streched out of shape.
envious8420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i just made my own dog bones by using some steel rod and some real tiny roll pins drilled the ends of the rods straight through then placed the roll pin in and then i took a tiny punch and opened each end of the roll pin to keep them from falling out it worked great
usa1man is offline   Reply With Quote