Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT shaft and flex issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2006, 01:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default TLT shaft and flex issues

Ok guys. I need help. BAD!!!!! I am getting ready to give up on my first TLT crawler. First, how do you make to Tmaxx slider shafts fit? My WB is only 12in, and they are WAY TOO BIG! Second, and more important, I dont have much flex. I dont want 90 degree articulation, but I want it to move. I think my Tmaxx shocks are too stiff. So, how do I soften them up? Springs? Oil? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I wanna crawl before snow comes!! AAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have pics, but my browser is messed up, and I cant post them!
indianacrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I tried the Tmaxx sliders/yokes at one time to and they're huge, I used Rustler yokes on my TLT (traxxas #462 they're white and about half the size. The sliders are also a lot smaller diameter which will probably be easier to use (traxxas #1953)

There's a pic of my axle on this page NEWB-TLT crawler w/Losi parts

"plays with toys" gave me a great suggestion to lean the shocks back, which helped tremendously. If your shocks are almost vertical it will steal some flex, try laying them back.
FlexinTLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Another good thing to do with the Tmaxx shocks is Losi springs part #LOSA5147 AND LOSA5148 and buy some 20wt oil and put in them. This along with getting the shocks laid down somewhere around 40 degrees will help tremendously.
hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I do have some 20 wt. oil I can try. I gotta do something. This is ridiculous!
Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

20 or 30 wt oil, losi whites or yellows for the springs, drill the plastic pistons holes a tiny bit bigger and add a hole or 2. Not to mention the shocks angle is important, which was already stated. as far the shafts go...cut them down with a dremel...

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #6
RCC Addict

What Tmaxx sliders were you using? Are they longer than the Pede sliders?

Edit: These ones? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP55&P=Z

Last edited by ILoveRCRockCrawlin; 01-11-2006 at 03:16 PM.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:42 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

yes, they are a lot longer than the pede sliders. And thicker too! ALOT thicker. My shocks are set up at about a 45degree angle. They are in the top first holes on a bulu2 chassis. I changed the oil, and that helped a little. I guess I need to go buy springs now

Last edited by indianacrawler; 01-11-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Sweet, I know what I'm getting. Thanks! Can you use the pede yokes or do they require different ones?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I used the Jato sliders on my TLT and worked out great. The Losi springs will help but make sure your suspension is not binding. Detach one end of the shocks and test the suspension movement to see if it has full motion with no resistance.
old_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Jato sliders huh?I guess I will go to the LHS, and invest more into this project. The shocks are not binding at all, just super stiff. When I put the 20wt. oil in them, it seemed to help. But, I will get Losi springs, and see what happens. The maxx shocks are way to wide to get up to the tranny. I will be getting a new chassis soon, so I will have to take it all apart again anyways.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:20 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianacrawler
...The shocks are not binding at all, just super stiff. When I put the 20wt. oil in them, it seemed to help. But, I will get Losi springs, and see what happens. The maxx shocks are way to wide to get up to the tranny...
The AE shocks and springs are definitely smaller diameter than the Traxxas TMaxx shocks. Losis are a tiny bit smaller diameter than the Traxxas (but not by much).

I'm going to try the AEs first for my TLT...I always liked the smoothness and durability of them. HTH
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 02:34 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Exclamation

I went to the LHS today, and I could not believe that they had something I needed. They never have sh*t! I bought some Losi Springs 5148 (Yellow), and with the 20 wt. oil, this thing is awesome now! All I need are driveshafts and body mounts, and I am good to go. I will post pics soon, once I figure out what is wrong with my browser! I put 4oz of BBs in the tires today, mounted the battery, wired the motor, and became upset, because I cannot run it yet. Sad story. But, here is what I have so far:

TLT axles
Bulu2 chassis
Rustler /pede tranny
homemade links
maxx shocks
losi springs
55t motor
Tekin Rebel ESC
JR High Torque servo
2.2 Moabs
HPI Black wheels
Bronco body.

HEre is what I need........pinion gear, driveshafts, body mounts, and a jeep body.
Thanks for all the help, and hopfully, I will see some of you guys soon!

Last edited by indianacrawler; 01-12-2006 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:48 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

i dont see what your problem is with the t-maxx shafts. i run the 2.5 maxx sliders, yeah they are long, so cut them. drill out the yokes, cram them onto the outputs on your axles, screw that little grub in there and your done. they are fat and big, but oh well, they work great.
Amaxx is offline   Reply With Quote