Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Broke dogbone pin on half shaft!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Broke dogbone pin on half shaft!

Ok well i can honestly say i have NEVER *knocks on wood* broken a axle half shaft on my tlt... i have never had the ball of the shaft break off, and i ran the same set of shafts for about a year with no probs... untill i dropped a 27 turn motor in to do some trail driving... then i wore out the pins on my half shafts, so i replaced front a rear shafts with new ones, and just today when i was crawling i heard a nice POP... the front driver side dog bone pin finally wore through.

I was thinking of cutting a drill bit shank of the right size to put in the hole but i have no clue on how to secure the pin... mabey i could drill a hole directly in the center for a set skrew?

and btw.. where can i get thoes axle c's! i need some!

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 05-05-2007 at 05:11 PM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
MWRCA'er

Do you still have the center dogbone drive shafts from your TLT kit? If so they press right in.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Ace
Rock Crawler

Might try to Silver solder it.

Won't stick to a coated drill though. Might try music wire or a shiny uncoated drill bit.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
Do you still have the center dogbone drive shafts from your TLT kit? If so they press right in.
ooo yes as a matter a fact i have 4 center dog bones... 2 of which have never been used... ill have a go at that... or if i could find a drill bit that fits perfect.... 3/32 bit is too big, and 5/64ths is too small... looks like i need about a 2.2mm drill bit.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Since they are pressed in to keep them in place I wouldn't recommend drilling or using pieces of a drill. The pins have little splines on them to keep them in place.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

are you talking about drivelines from the tranny to the axles? upgrade to pede shafts if so.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
are you talking about drivelines from the tranny to the axles? upgrade to pede shafts if so.
Oh no no no... thats not the part i broke... im running a full crawler setup, pede tranny pede shafts... the works been like that for a coupla yrs now, with chassie revisions along the way.

the guy above me was saying the pins in the stock center drive shafts are the same.

Im thinking if i could find a drill bit thats just a lil to big, i could put the bit in the freezer for awhile, and then heat up the head of the halfshaft and stick the bit through the hole. then everything would cool off and the bit would be stuck in there.... it might just work!
Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster View Post
I poped one of the pins outta the stock center drive shaft and it pressed right in... thanks so much... this is why i have always loved these forums.