Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT tuber getting close

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default TLT tuber getting close

I have a temporary 4 link set up and my wheel and axles on my tuber now. I got the last coat of the paint on it last nite. I am looking for any criticism or hints this is the first tuber I have made. The TLT transmision is mounted sideways for a very low center of gravity. The motor will be sitting on the skid plate.
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Did you make the tuber yourself? If yes...your work is CLEAN!!! I like that you got away from the angled look of most tubers out there. I would go for a delrin skid, and R2 tranny.
difflocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

you may have some issues with how your links are setup. the uppers should be more parralell with the ground, and they should be triangulated. i think you a gonna get a good bit of flex steer.
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

looks really good but i would get a differnt tranny like a pede because u can get them so cheap and cover ur links with something, arrows work really good!
Turblankas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Smile Thanks for the input

The links were just a temp setup, I will custom make a set when I get the dimensions right. The bottom links do have carbon fiber arrow shafts over the threaded part of the links.

I am getting a lot of flex steer, I will try adjusting the upper links for a more parallel to ground look. I am going to make new servo mount plates to raise the mount point for the upper links. It should be a lot closer to parallel.

Yes I brazed the frame up myself. It took a couple days but I think having your own custom look was worth the effort.

Thanks alot for the tips and comments. I will post another picture when I get these issues worked out. This is the greatest forum for do-it-yourself projects, a wealth of knowledge can be found ands asked for. Thank you all!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't nessecarily like the lines of the chassis, but the work itself looks excellent. Very clean joints. The shock and link mounts don't look like an afterthought like some tubers you see.

For flex steer - Triangulate your upper links. Move the axle mounts together behind the servos.

I ran some old Mashers for a little while - they are'nt the best choice. You can help them some by trimming the corners off the lugs and notching the lugs in a couple spots on each, but it boils down to one issue - the compound is just too hard. You can pretty much run them with no foams the sidewalls are so stiff.

Quote:
more parallel to ground. new servo mount plates to raise the mount point for the upper links.
That will help immensely. Some better shocks would help a lot as well, even some stock Maxx shocks. TLT stockers are too soft and it's hard to find springs for them.

The stock TLT tranny? I can't really knock it, since I'm still using one myself. With no sideplates it will be easy to add a belt tensioner. And get a 180mm belt from a nitro RS4 it's beefier than a stock belt. Search "belt tensioner" here in TLT and you'll find ways to make the stock tranny at least workable for a just-for-fun crawler.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
I don't nessecarily like the lines of the chassis, but the work itself looks excellent. Very clean joints. The shock and link mounts don't look like an afterthought like some tubers you see.

For flex steer - Triangulate your upper links. Move the axle mounts together behind the servos.

I ran some old Mashers for a little while - they are'nt the best choice. You can help them some by trimming the corners off the lugs and notching the lugs in a couple spots on each, but it boils down to one issue - the compound is just too hard. You can pretty much run them with no foams the sidewalls are so stiff.

That will help immensely. Some better shocks would help a lot as well, even some stock Maxx shocks. TLT stockers are too soft and it's hard to find springs for them.

[The stock TLT tranny? I can't really knock it, since I'm still using one myself. With no sideplates it will be easy to add a belt tensioner. And get a 180mm belt from a nitro RS4 it's beefier than a stock belt. Search "belt tensioner" here in TLT and you'll find ways to make the stock tranny at least workable for a just-for-fun crawler.]
I do have a tensioner in the tranny. The tranny works good in my book. I do need to work on my flex steering and the shocks are way too soft. It's a work in progress, thanks for your input.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I do have a tensioner in the tranny
Ok, cool. I also think the stock tranny can crawl. My belt very rarely skips, only in the most extreme situations.

Don't get me wrong, I think you're doing a great job with what you've got...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote