Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: drive line for a 2.2 hustler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default drive line for a 2.2 hustler?

i am waiting for parts for a 2.2 hustler and i am trying to find the right size driveline. i want to order the punisher II shafts but i am not sure what length. so i know some of you have the 2.2 with tlt axle and by chance what length are they. i am going to run the R2 with dissconnect also.

my next question is i am not running comps with this rig so could i change the length of the drive line by just changing the lenght of the links or is that not how it works. i dont really know because i have never built a rig before.

thanks for the help guys
8500lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

it really depends. My front is almost 3.75" and my rear is almost 4" that is driveline only from end to end. and i am running pede tranny, but thought maybe it'd help ya out.

IMO I would run PEDE drive shafts, you really cant go wrong with em and they are fairly cheap
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Dirk that does help out and it helps out alot.
as far as the pede lines i have not looked at them yet but will do so now. i liked the punisher II because they are metal. i have never run a crawler before but on any of the other Trucks and Cars i have run the drive line and the axles are always the first to twist and snap. so i thought on a high power rig i should go metal to start with. also i have heard the punisher II does away with alot of the problems from the original punisher shafts.

once again thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
[HOONIGAN]

Metal shafts are way overkill imo.
I wouldn't run pede shafts either, to much slop and their not that strong. Plus you have to buy the metal yokes for the pede shafts which are a little pricey and glue two shafts together to make each shaft long enough, which defeats the purpose of buying because their cheap imo when you actually are done their not so cheap anymore. I would recomend running 2.5 maxx shafts, they are way stonger than the pede's and you only have to buy one shaft for each end. No cutting up 4 shafts to make 2 like with the pede's. Plus the plastic yokes they use are plenty srtong enough. They also have much less slop in them which is really nice. Alot of people run pede shafts though and might think diferently but this is just my experience and opinion.
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

thanks wrecker

i dont no much about the pede shafts but i do agree on no liking the idea of hacking in two and glueing together, i dont trust my own work is why. However i am not sure of the maxx shafts either. i have an emaxx, not as a crawler for those that hate them, and i have twisted and snapped many of them. i think the plastic is too soft, and that is with stock motors. i had to go to metal on it too. and i know i will have alot more power in my crawler.

Thanks to all
Old 07-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

The Maxx driveshafts on a Maxx are weak, on a 2.2 class crawler they are bulletproof though. I've run them for over a year in my 2.2 Comp rig with brushless and have never broke a shaft or yoke. I have stripped all the gears in the tranny twice, as well as, numerous ring gears and pinions in the axles.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

wow, i also plan to put a brushless in and if they hold up for your rig they should hold up for mine. and it is always nice that i have extra maxx shafts laying around from the maxx anyway.

thanks guys
Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I second Bender, I've run the same Maxx shaft with a dig for the past two years with absolutely no problems.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You will never break these, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMHW5&P=M

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMJG9&P=M

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFY4&P=M
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:41 PM   #10
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecker View Post
Metal shafts are way overkill imo.
I wouldn't run pede shafts either, to much slop and their not that strong. Plus you have to buy the metal yokes for the pede shafts which are a little pricey and glue two shafts together to make each shaft long enough, which defeats the purpose of buying because their cheap imo when you actually are done their not so cheap anymore. I would recomend running 2.5 maxx shafts, they are way stonger than the pede's and you only have to buy one shaft for each end. No cutting up 4 shafts to make 2 like with the pede's. Plus the plastic yokes they use are plenty srtong enough. They also have much less slop in them which is really nice. Alot of people run pede shafts though and might think diferently but this is just my experience and opinion.

Who asked you anyways?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #11
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Who asked you anyways?
Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I prefer the pede shafts on a 2.2 because I dont want to break the rest of the driveline. I would rather break a pede shaft than destroy my ring and pinion or tranny.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes View Post
I prefer the pede shafts on a 2.2 because I dont want to break the rest of the driveline. I would rather break a pede shaft than destroy my ring and pinion or tranny.
Exactly why I run pedes. And even with my Novak Crawler and no slipper I have not had one fail in 6 months of use.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

if you have not broke the shafts how are the ring and pinion holding up.