Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: highlift same as tlt axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default highlift same as tlt axles

i have a question. do tlt cvds and ring and pinions fit highlift axles. or do they make them for the highlift axles. i am building a comp rig and all i have is some highlift axles. they have custom link/shock mounts and i really would like to use them if i can. thanks
looneybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

to my understanding they are wider then tlt axles and shaped different but who knows the cvds might fit?
smokinubyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

the cvd's might work, but i doubt it. i built a high lift axle with tlt guts, thinking they were the same, wrong! didnt work.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
RCC Addict

thanks fellas i appreciate it!
Old 07-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Actually Looney they are exactly the same! I'm not sure what Thor did when he built his but when you have tlt and hi-lift axle shafts on a table laying next to each other their is no way to tell the difference. A good example of this is if you go to RC4WD.com and look up tlt or hi-lift parts, the axle kit they sell is called the 303 and it says tlt/hilift, same with the spools they make and the straight axle kit. But the end all to this question is to simply compare tamiya part #'s on these 2 trucks and you will notice that the knuckles are the same # the shafts are the same # as well as the diff gears. Now their are two different tlt shafts and the only reason I can think why is that Tamiya changed these when the brought out the max climber kit which was well after the rockbuster. Sorry for the long drawn out story but the bottom line is it will work, my last crawler that I had used tlt guts in hi-lift housings and I used that rig so much that I balded 2 sets of moabs, that will tell you how much drive time it got and I never had a problem
boggercrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

before you go running your mouth, you ought to know what your talking about. high lift axles and diff's are not the same as tlt's, high lifts have the hole for the diff locking pin, and they certainly dont share the same part numbers, if you go and look.
i dont think it was the inner axles, but the outer axles. either way there was horrible binding in the joint and wouldnt allow any steering. for the longest time i thought it was a defect in the rc4wd alu housing until one day i took it apart and put it together with high lift guts and it worked smooth as can be.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Actually Thor I wasn't "running my mouth" as you say and no disrespect was meant. I simply was lrtting Looneybin know that he had options. I apologize for not being totally clear, what I was trying to say was that axle guts and housings were totally interchangeable whether you are using stock parts or RC4WD parts. My first point is: The guys at RC4WD are not idiot's, they would not have manufactured a part for 2 different apps. using the same part if it wasn't interchangeable. Second point: Tamiya Part#'s 50867=knuckles, 53958=bearings are the same for both. TLT diff shaft # 9804193 and stub axles #9804177 can be interchanged with #3485158 & 3485159 which are stock #'s for the hi-lift. This can also be done with the ring gears and as a matter of fact their are 3 dofferent part #'s for the ring gears that can be swapped. All of this info can be had on Tamiya.com If you wanna talk about this more Thor, feel free to P.M. me, but please don't test my knowledge out in the open just cuz you feel that cuz I only have 80 some posts I don't know what I'm tailking about. I built my first crawler way before it was cool, about 10 years to the day actually and so yes it may be true that I'm a newbie to this site but definitly not a newbie to crawling
Old 07-16-2007, 05:41 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggercrawler View Post
Actually Thor I wasn't "running my mouth" as you say and no disrespect was meant. I simply was lrtting Looneybin know that he had options. I apologize for not being totally clear, what I was trying to say was that axle guts and housings were totally interchangeable whether you are using stock parts or RC4WD parts. My first point is: The guys at RC4WD are not idiot's, they would not have manufactured a part for 2 different apps. using the same part if it wasn't interchangeable. Second point: Tamiya Part#'s 50867=knuckles, 53958=bearings are the same for both. TLT diff shaft # 9804193 and stub axles #9804177 can be interchanged with #3485158 & 3485159 which are stock #'s for the hi-lift. This can also be done with the ring gears and as a matter of fact their are 3 dofferent part #'s for the ring gears that can be swapped. All of this info can be had on Tamiya.com If you wanna talk about this more Thor, feel free to P.M. me, but please don't test my knowledge out in the open just cuz you feel that cuz I only have 80 some posts I don't know what I'm tailking about. I built my first crawler way before it was cool, about 10 years to the day actually and so yes it may be true that I'm a newbie to this site but definitly not a newbie to crawling
The diff shafts are NOT interchangeable, the High Lift diff shafts are 3mm longer. Read :
http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13103
Katan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 06:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

yup, there he goes running his mouth again, as far as i'm concerned they are NOT interchangable. thats from actual experiance building one and it not working.
alright cuz, its more entertaining challenging you here than pm.

the two tlt shafts are the older and newer version, the newer is thicker inbetween the shaft and ball/drive end mr smarty pants.
now, allow me to negate your points. no, the guys at rc4wd arnt idiots, but their parts dont always work how intended, do a search and you'll find several examples. yes, some tamiya parts are interchangable between multiple vehicles, that dosnt mean that all are.
i guess building a crawler 10 years ago and listing tamiya numbers make you a expert, sorry!

Last edited by Thorsteenster; 07-16-2007 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggercrawler View Post
when you have tlt and hi-lift axle shafts on a table laying next to each other their is no way to tell the difference.
Are you talking about the wheel axle that the hex goes on? Yes they are a common Tamiya part: TLT, High Lift, TG10, TB01, TL01, M03 etc...

If you ignore the diff locking, then the diff shafts are what make a TLT and High Lift incompatible. They look different when side by side. The High Lift diff shafts are longer at the dog bone end by 3mm. Also the pin in the middle that keeps the two shafts together is on different sides, i.e its in the short TLT shaft and in the long High Lift shaft. This means you can not use a long High Lift shaft with a short TLT shaft.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:31 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

tlt axle guts do work fine in a rc4wd straight high lift axle housing.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsteenster View Post
tlt axle guts do work fine in a rc4wd straight high lift axle housing.
I dont have a High Lift straight axle housing but I'm guessing that its probably cos the RC4WD straight housing is not as wide as a normal axle with knuckles (maybe by a couple of mm) and as the axle cups dont need to pivot, the dog bones are probably making enough contact for them to work. This is just a theory!
Old 07-16-2007, 07:41 AM   #13
RCC Addict

the pinion and the diff carrier itself with the ring gear are the only 2 of 4 things that are the same between a TLT and a HL.

The outer drive axles and knuckles are the other 2 things.

The only difference between a TLT pinion and a HL pinion is that the TLT pinion has a flat landing on the shaft, the HL does not.

the steel axle shafts and main diff housing are longer on a HL compared to a TLT.

I have both sets of axles right here.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

In conclusion, boggercrawler was wrong.

looneybin: TLT CVDs will not work in High Lift axles.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #15
RCC Addict

wow, i really didn't intend on starting a war but it think i did get some answers. why do they not make cvds for the highlift? once again thank you to all who chimed in and contributed answers including boggercrawler.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:05 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

way to summarize katan
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #17

Hi guy's my name is Tom, I'm new here,but have actually been checking out the site as a guest for some time now. I have been a US engineering and sales rep. for Tamiya for twelve years now, and what actually drove me to become a member was because you guy's beating up on this poor guy Boggercrawler. He is actually a 100% correct but also wrong at the same time. Let me explain. Original designs for the HI-LIFT were going to have it using TLT-ROCKBUSTER axles and housing's, at the last minute a change was made due to the fact the HI-LIFT was changed to use a three speed transmission, but prior to that press releases had been issued with the drive train specs showing TLT application's. In the very beginning a very few of the first production runs of the HI-LIFT used what are today referred to as HI-LIFT housings as they look exactly the same but were and are totally interchangeable using TLT-ROCKBUSTER internals. I would say less that 200 of these unit's exist, I'm sure Boggercrawler has one of these unit's and that is why he claim's to not have a problem using the TLT internals in HI-LIFT housings and also why his manual would have part numbers referring to TLT-ROCKBUSTER parts as interchangeable
TamiyaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

You know Thor, I didn't mean any disrespect, nor was I challenging your information in my original post, but I can tell you are one of those guys that gets his *** kicked all the time cuz you cant keep your mouth shut. And your right building a crawler 10 years ago and quoting part #'s doesn't make me an expert, but neither does spending enuff time at the computer to rack up over 2 thousand posts in a little over a year. Also what you didn't get obviously ,was that was building crawlers and other various RC vehicles for 10 years, not 10 years ago. Sure I don't have a collection like 1BJB does, but at least I'm out there building and driving them which is more than I can say for you, cuz I mean how could you have time right? your on here all day bringing us all your wonderful bits of knowledge and comments, like "smartypants" and other gems. Get a f***** life and actually take some time to go out and build and drive something cuz pretty soon 35 is gonna be 45 and your gonna wish you didn't spend all that time gettin a tan from the glow from your computer screen
Old 07-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

TamiyaTom, can you please tell me why the hilift axles are so unlike the real f350 axles? the bruiser axles were very close in appearance to the real deal, and tamiya is very keen on realism. how come this truck strayed away in some aspects from the real F350?
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaTom View Post
Hi guy's my name is Tom, I'm new here,but have actually been checking out the site as a guest for some time now. I have been a US engineering and sales rep. for Tamiya for twelve years now, and what actually drove me to become a member was because you guy's beating up on this poor guy Boggercrawler. He is actually a 100% correct but also wrong at the same time. Let me explain. Original designs for the HI-LIFT were going to have it using TLT-ROCKBUSTER axles and housing's, at the last minute a change was made due to the fact the HI-LIFT was changed to use a three speed transmission, but prior to that press releases had been issued with the drive train specs showing TLT application's. In the very beginning a very few of the first production runs of the HI-LIFT used what are today referred to as HI-LIFT housings as they look exactly the same but were and are totally interchangeable using TLT-ROCKBUSTER internals. I would say less that 200 of these unit's exist, I'm sure Boggercrawler has one of these unit's and that is why he claim's to not have a problem using the TLT internals in HI-LIFT housings and also why his manual would have part numbers referring to TLT-ROCKBUSTER parts as interchangeable
Why did they add 3mm to the dog bone of the diff shafts? It just looks like they did it to intentionally to make them incompatible in order to stop TLT parts being used for spares.

Last edited by Katan; 07-17-2007 at 04:27 AM.