Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My new build + questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #1

Default My new build + questions

Ive had my somewhat stock tlt for a while, for the most part just extended links and fully locked to make it a somewhat decent crawler, i got a pede tranny and decided to go full bore. tubers and TVP chassie kits seem to be the norm around here but ive desided to take more of a self engineered route, i have a smithy 3 in 1 machine so for the most part ive been milling my stock chassie plates down, along with a scratch made lower cross plate, ive also milled some material off the pede tranny it self to help the fit. so far its looking realy good and i plan on posting pictures later tonight. i am nearing the final stages of the build and its nearly to the point of simply assembling it. i had some basic questions to ask, does anyone have exact deminsions of the 4 main bolt holes in the bottom of the pede tranny (in terms of spacing for the lower cross plate), and what is the exact screw those holes accept? i want to guess 5mm but i dont have any sitting around to check.

pictures coming later, any answers appreaciated.
Lorduss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
I lost my vendor privileges

4mm is what i used. fit well.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #3

seeing how everything fits, everything seems to be working out ok sofar.

Old 08-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #4

a little bit of the design and machine process
<br>
<br>

Last edited by Lorduss; 08-19-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
I lost my vendor privileges

nice looking work.
clodstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #6

Looking good , also original work

suggestion : you should consider to mont the battery someway on the side of the frame to compensate the motor weight that is going to be on the other side , you want the CG centered
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #7

Little disapointed in my self at the moment, nearly finshed the lower chassie plate when i broke off a drill bit inside one of the holes that bolt the TVP to the lower chassie plate it self, so im milling out another plate right now, pushed my progress back a bit but thats ok, id rather it come out looking good. that should teach me not to rush progress, i tend to do that sometimes.

i was still able to tap the holes and use the chassie plate to further my design a little, i can get a few threads in behind the broken off drill bit and was able to bolt the links and axles to the TVP's and lower chassie plate, so i have a good idea of what its all coming out to look like, also lets me start to plan ahead a little while i finish milling out the new plate. pictures coming tomarrow.

DrKucho:that was part of the plan, right now im thinkin of extending velcro pads off of the TVP's to hold the body in place, it would give me plenty of room to mount a 4 cell batterypack on the other side of the motor, should even the weight out nicely. with maby a 5 cell RX pack mounted ontop of the front servo for servo power with the 4 cell running the motor. at least for now thats the plan.

The lower chassie plate is 2.4 long by 2.09 wide, .25 thick. going with 2.09 lets me use the stock TLT cross members. saves me some work.
i also ended up taking a little over 1" off the bottom of the TLT TVP's, i may end up taking about 1" off each end of the TVP's as well.

with my current mockup, axle to axle is 12" with 2 1/2" ground clearance, proline moab's, Novak XRS with 4 cell Sub C pack, 55T lathe motor. hitec 645 MG. original Tmaxx shocks with alum caps. pede tranny.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:32 AM   #8

will 4 cells only give you enough power?
DrKucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:17 AM   #9

A little late on my pictures, but progress is still going. i finshed my 2nd lower chassie plate today, tapped the holes to bolt the TVP's and just marked the holes for the tranny to bolt in, its late now and ill get that done tomarrow. by late tomarrow ill have a decent amount of progress to show.

on a side note, you may have noticed the title on my grid paper is Novak racing electronics, this is NOT an offical Novak project in anyway, i happen to be a former employe, and have some grid paper from the company. This is a private project and has nothing to do with novak.

DrKucho: im not sure at the moment, im trying to reduce overall battery size, eather by going with less cells or a smaller pack to keep things compact and simple.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #10
Keep it real

If you want smaller cells, try the elite 1500, they are nice little cells.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote