Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My new project: HellSpawn (build thread)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Hehe... Nope, not yet . Must see what I can come up with when it's up and running.
tomik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

A little bit of progress with the drive shafts today... Hopefully I get the links done tomorrow.

I have to think of a good way to attach the drive shaft extension to the stealth tranny spool. The braketubing slides in the spool nicely, but how will it last (the material is quite soft)... Maybe I'll get some tougher material and do another extensions.

Just for the record, I can't slide the driveshaft over the spool because I have "too big" spur. This "trick" worked well in PTI.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:18 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

I had a couple hours this morning and this is what I came up with. We are almost up and running, but not quite yet. I didn't have time to attach the driveshafts to the tranny. Also need to work some more with the links (the upper links are positioned too wide and they can't move enough) and the lower ones could be a bit shorter, because the wheelbase is ~11,5".
There should be some space for the tires to turn, shouldn't there? ;) I have to figure out how to install the shocks to get the space. Or I could use wideners?
And the electronics of course.

A couple pics again...

It'll take a couple hours more, but then we should be on the rocks already .
Old 10-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Maybe link mount the shocks?
But that may mean moving the links position in or out.
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I almost forgot how good that chassis looks!!! Cant wait for my sets to come in!
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Finally got the first test done.
Had to make some changes to the link positions and shock positions to make the wheels turn freely . Still need to think of a better link setup, because I only have 40-50 degrees flex by twisting with hands. Maybe bring the upper links closer to the centerline?

The shocks only have oil inside them and indoors work fine, but outdoors too stiff (it's 4,5 celsius and chilly wind out there at the moment). But they sure do make the car low... which's nice.

I installed the drive shafts with 3mm screws, have to see how they hold up. After 15 minutes of crawling they were still tight.

I'm currently using airtight Junfac wheels, which seem to work ok without any extra weight, but have to return to that too. Maybe stainless steel rockrings .

It needs some work, but it already performs great! So there's no turning back anymore, must complete it. Too bad the weather forecast says it's going to be winter on saturday :(.

Enough blah blah... Pics!

Edit: Moderators... Now, as you can see, the car has axles and this thread can be moved to the right section if necessary .

Last edited by tomik; 11-01-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Tip for the moderators :)
Old 11-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

nice work!
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Today I did some more testing and finally after 30 minutes the 1200mAh Intellect battery was sucked out of all the juice (at the moment I've geared it 18T-86T).

I needed some more flex, so I made the upper links 5mm shorter and attached them to the brace supporting the chassis. This setup now gives approximately 60 degrees flex, which seems to work nice.

The driveshaft bolts are a bit wobbly... Have to think something to fix it. Maybe a bolt through the tranny outlet? This was expected, copper is soft.

Moabs with airtight rims and about 21 degrees celsius temperature change ...

Old 11-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Seems there's not going to be any crawling today :-(.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

You should so go in the snow... cant wait until it snows here..
balang_479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:48 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Couldn't wait any longer and headed out even it was raining a bit and the temperature was ~2C celsius (brr, cold).

After some 25 minutes of crawling around amazed of its performance compared to PTI-"tranny" -based crawler, I managed to take a couple shaken images (my hands were frozen and I didn't want to wet the camera as it just started raining more).

Sorry for the wrong stickers in the chassis, it's the only one I've got.

The 6 months old Moabs had quite good grip even on the wet rocks, which I would never had believed. But in the woods the Moabs suck. They have no grip whatsoever on moss (and there's plenty of it here) :(.

Oh yes... The PTI original shocks had leaked all the oil out in about a week, so I have to order new shocks. Where could I get Losi shocks, I hear they are good?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:42 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

I agree with the comment about the threaded rod and nuts. You put so much time into the awesome design of the chassis plates go all out and get some spikes from hot topic and trick it out. I don't know what thread pitch the spikes come in but you should be able to find threaded rod to match.
I'm not feeling the pattern design on the electronics plate either. I think a hole pattern with bevelled edges would look better than the construction sign diagonal stripes. This is one mean looking chassis though, great job!
MasterShake44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 07:56 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake44 View Post
I agree with the comment about the threaded rod and nuts. You put so much time into the awesome design of the chassis plates go all out and get some spikes from hot topic and trick it out. I don't know what thread pitch the spikes come in but you should be able to find threaded rod to match.
I'm not feeling the pattern design on the electronics plate either. I think a hole pattern with bevelled edges would look better than the construction sign diagonal stripes. This is one mean looking chassis though, great job!

I agree it needs some more stylework. Also the radioplate should be redesigned and I already have some ideas for it.
I don't like the bolts in the rodends either. Also the copper brakeline tubing is going to be changed to aluminium .

Maybe the radioplate reflects to its current state; under construction :-P.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

The brakeline-extension broke today because of some weird thing from the axle that caused it not turning properly. The axle hangs every once in a while making the motor stall, which applies huge stress to the axles and of course to the soft coppertube. Maybe something with the diff?

This is the result.

Also noticed today that I need to raise the chassis a bit by adding some fueltube the shock shafts.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Made new driveshaft extenders out of 6mm brass tube today. I couldn't make the spur-side extender as short as the other side, so I have to find a couple millimeters of tube that has 6mm inner diameter to put in between the tranny and tmaxx shaft to make the connection not loose (it doesn't move right now either, but to be sure). The other side turned out to be very nice imo.

Hopefully these will last.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Went for a wintercrawl for the first (and possibly the last) time ever.
It really wasn't that fun at all. The tires have no grip at all, but will any tire have if the tread is full of snow? ;) I doubt that. You'd need studs or spikes to crawl in the snow...

Anyway here's a couple pics from today.

Guess what have gone here...

And the after-crawl ;)
Old 11-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomik View Post
Went for a wintercrawl for the first (and possibly the last) time ever.
It really wasn't that fun at all. The tires have no grip at all, but will any tire have if the tread is full of snow? ;) I doubt that. You'd need studs or spikes to crawl in the snow...

Anyway here's a couple pics from today.

Guess what have gone here...

And the after-crawl ;)
A buddy of mine caims imex red rocks work well in the snow.Maybe build a set of chains to throw on them.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:17 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Found something that might be cool instead of the nuts ... ;)

I haven't been able to figure out the thread size (even the shop who sells them doesn't know). I may have to order a couple for a test (they are 2 euros each).