Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: my "beetle juice" sw3 lol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

yes actually i was meaning to get some pics of my rig posted.. but yesterday i went crawling with blakeski and my droop set-up is the best ever i have never had it perform so well since i have had this rig.. i have it set so it sits low but when fully drooped i get a 1/2 in. more clearance than before but with this set-up the extra clearance is for the tires to contact the rock more when going over the top of rocks. i love it i can almost sidehill it till its just about parallel to the rock and the chassis.. and i can go through way more vertical angles than ever before.. bender needs to try this because it is amazing.." thumbsup"
jeff jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

hey there.. its been awhile and i finally have pics of my sw3 in full droop form.. here are the pics:

Old 10-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #43
Pebble Pounder

Last edited by jeff jenkins; 10-21-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:24 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

i also got a 2cell thunder power 1320mah lipo battery and switch my chassis around so the motor endbell faces the front of the ar and my speedo is up front.. also i am running no wheel wieghts and kreepy pink and red inserts lmk what you think.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Looks great Jeff!
I could be wrong but wouldnt it perform bettter if the uppers were more parallel to the ground?
Shane
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
Looks great Jeff!
I could be wrong but wouldnt it perform bettter if the uppers were more parallel to the ground?
Shane
um i didnt change them from when i had it sprung configuration.. i will try it and see.. but as of right now it is unbelievable. thanks for the tip.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:44 AM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Default Droop Question

Hey Jeff, what wt silicone oil you running? I tried that setup with my SW3 TLT a while back with RCP droop springs and 1000 wt oil at all four corners and it didn't crawl the same obstacles near as good as when it was normally sprung. I did try moving my upper links more parallel but still didn't improve much overall. Sidehilling and flat vert crawling with the droop setup did work fairly well though. Haven't really tried going with thicker than 1000 wt. yet but I'm sure it would get better. Still loved that little bit of extra ground clearance it had with the shock setup the other way. I kinda gave up on it at that point but still think there's potential with the droop setup and this chassis but I think the shocks need to be mounted more vertical than the SW3 allows without modding. Great looking rig btw
pariah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:18 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

hey there. i have 100wt losi oil in all four shocks and internal springs that i bought at ace hardware.. it works very well and my rig wieghs 5 1/4 lbs.

oh yeah thanks for the compliments
Old 10-24-2007, 10:39 PM   #49
Pebble Pounder

just did some more work on it today and made a dig driveshaft.. its pretty sweet. works great , engages and disengages perfectly and every time. i will post pics.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:46 PM   #50
Keep it real

What shafts did you end up using for the dig?
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

i used pede shafts. i had them laying around and the jato shafts pop off all the time just like the pede ones do.. i will have a pic shortly..
Old 10-25-2007, 08:10 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

here we go.. i finally decided to get off my *** and get these pics taken.. they arent the best but oh well at least i know what it looks like..lol

Old 10-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

well the other night i was playin with the crawler and got in a bind and the power of the servo broke the axle housing posts right off.. lol it sucked so i ordered a new one and am wiating for that.. but i also traded for a set of servo mounts and clocked tcs axle c's. so i cant wiat to get those on there..

feel free to post any tips or tricks with the sw3 or your set-ups on here..
Old 10-28-2007, 02:12 AM   #54
Rock Stacker

I'm curious, with the 8711 and the Dig servo, are you running a seperate BEC on there? What servo did you use for the Dig? I was thinking of using the 8711 with a small HS65MG for the Dig, but don't want the 8711 to fry my Goat ESC...

Also, how do you like the 3PK w/offset steering adapter and Fasst system I saw on the 1st page? I've got one I was planning to put into my SW3 when it arrives.

Thanks, a nice looking SW3 there!!
gr33nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:42 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

the servo i used for my dig is a jrz590m.. i found that laying around the room..i do not have another bec. it runs just fine and i dont think you have to worry about the speedo frying.. people have run multiple servo's on cars for many years and there was no use of seperate bec's.
and on the radio subject. my 3pk i have had that since 2004 it was a graduation present. in my opinion it is the best transmitter on earth. it does everything i ever want it to and with the fasst set-up i never have any glitches.. plus i like not having all of the antenna wires all over the place.. i already have the wires look like a mess so im glad there isnt one more to add to the set-up.lol. put the 3pk in your sw3 with the drop down. it is the comfortable and balanced transmitter made in my opinion. but then agian i have only ran futaba for 19yrs.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

That's good to hear about the 3PK, I'll def. be using that when I build mine With the steering drop down adapter, how's your thumb space for the dials on the top of the handle- do you still have enough room to work them? I've got large paws so I don't want to crowd anything

With the Dig, what switch/button are you using? I have the little knob on the top right side set up as a 3 position switch ready for elecs when I get them. Seems like it should work out smooth Did you find it easy to set up the dig parameters?

Looking back again on the 1st page, how stable/secure was your battery when you had the regular one strapped to the top of the steering servo w/velcro? Did that keep it there, or did it like to slide out at all?

Cheers Mate!
gr33nlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

there is plenty room for your hands to use the buttons on the pistol grip.. i use the knob on the side. parameters i set where threw the 3rd channel epa and they were easy to set-up.. and the battery stayed put until it fell and hit a rock from a few feet haha.. i used a foam pad to grip the battery better
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #58
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
well the other night i was playin with the crawler and got in a bind and the power of the servo broke the axle housing posts right off.. lol it sucked so i ordered a new one and am wiating for that.. but i also traded for a set of servo mounts and clocked tcs axle c's. so i cant wiat to get those on there..

feel free to post any tips or tricks with the sw3 or your set-ups on here..
Jeff, what I do on the upper link mount, is cut the little tabs off the 2 arms that stick out toward the chassis on the top of the housing, and drill and bolt them down, then there is 4 points of attachment for the upper link mount to the housing.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #59
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff jenkins View Post
i used pede shafts. i had them laying around and the jato shafts pop off all the time just like the pede ones do.. i will have a pic shortly..
On the Jato shafts, did you drill the pinion for the crosspin to go through or do you mean they popped off the ujoint, not the pinion?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
On the Jato shafts, did you drill the pinion for the crosspin to go through or do you mean they popped off the ujoint, not the pinion?
they popped off at the u-joint.