Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: rookie stock shock find

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Default rookie stock shock find

Ok, so this is going to sound pretty green for some of you experienced crawlers/modifiers.

I was looking over my stock TXT last night imagening what my new custom links are going to look like (courtesy of Dirk) and trying to think outside the box when I realised that the little pieces of rubber spacers that the install guide tell you to put on the shock shafts actually limit the amount of compressed travel!
So I measured the curent amount of travel from the floor to the bottom of the tire when that corner is lifted, 8 inches.
I then took the four rubber spacers off all the shock shafts put the shocks back on and measured again, 9 inches!

I gained one inch just by removing those stupid rubber spacers! The one thing I did notice it the front and rear bumpers barly hit the front and rear skid plates now. t is not very much though. And I do not plan on jumping this TXT so I do not see any need for those.

Should I be embarrased to write about such a rookie find?

-Badger
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
RSI
Rock Crawler

Default Re: rookie stock shock find

those were bump stops, they are met to keep the frame or bumpers from hittin. o well i didnt even build my truck with them. and when u chop ur frame if u do u will have to remove the lower braces and bumpers in front and rear so they dont hit.

ryan
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Yes John, you should be very embarrased of your question!

Actually, yes, those things are really there for over compression during jumping and bashing. We crawlers certainly don't need limiters in our suspension.

A good tip for you:
The Tamiya shocks are not only horrible....and do nothing for dampening, they are also short! Even shorter than Maxx shocks. I use 1/8th scale Xfactor aluminum shocks. They are about an inch longer than a maxx shock. I remounted them on the stock, plastic shock mounts but closer to the middle of the mounts. I just had to drill new holes and use a nut and bolt. Those babies will give you even more travel, better dampening, look better and have a much smoother action.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #4
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Yeah, I knew the stock shocks are shitty and I do want to replace them, I just need to upgrade this beast a little at a time, when extra money permits.

Thanks,
Badger
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I've found that the stock Evader rear shocks works quite good as well...they are pretty cheap to, about $16 at tower for a pair...
DCLXVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 02:31 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

well i have some extra tmaxx shocks laying around, and i was thinking i should try those on my txt. has anyone tried using these, and if so did u just use the stock springs???
jordanator62 is offline   Reply With Quote