Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Suspension question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Suspension question

Hi everyone, I look at nearly all trucks in this Forum, and all have ditched the cantilever suspension and instead mounted the shocks in the axles. I have simulated this and I see that if I lift one tire and measure the movement it means that the shock would have to compress about 5cm to reach the twist with the cantilevers, then I measure the shock and it only compresses about 3cm. The question is, if I use the stock shocks and mount them in the axels, don't I loose twist?

Thanks.
Rodrigo.
TamiyaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

try it out and see what you like better.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You have to lay the shock down at an angle...

You have to find the perfect point of twist (articulation) and stopping torque twist on a shafty like the TXT.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

ith a txt youre kinda restricted with what you can do... cuz of torque twist... the way ive got mine set up right now is the best its been. very little twist,lower articulation than ever before but its more effective than ever before. sometimes a ton of flex can hurt you more than help. like when a tire drops into a hole, binds up, and you break an axle shaft or something... with a 15.5" WB i can set one tire 5 3/4" off the ground before the others lift, its less flex than before but its effective... look at EeePee's truck, he only gets about 3-4" of lift before another tire lifts up. but his truck works very well...
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
MODERATOR™

I just went and measured it actually, I was curious. On the 14'r I get a tire 3.25 inches off the ground when the same side other tire shows daylight underneath. All the springs are stiffer than usual. Pretty limited flex, and what is there takes some force to move.

What happens is the truck will carry a tire over the holes they might fall into, or get stuck in. Also in situations where the truck is flexed and pretty off balance, because the weight transfer has already happen, it's acts much more stable. Instead of rolling over in the middle of the rock, it rolls over in the beginning.

If the truck's center of gravity is high, I don't think this approach would be much good. All the weight will be swinging back and forth as the truck teeter totters (I looked that word up to spell it) on 3 tires. My battery is below the tops of the tires, and the brushless Revovler motor doesn't weight anything.

Different set ups work differently. This one works well sometimes, just like others work well sometimes. Trying different stuff is part of the fun.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:26 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

ep where do you put your battery? ive got my rx pack on my links in the back but my main pack is still on top of the chassis...
Old 07-06-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
MODERATOR™

You can jam a 6 cell Sub C pack in there too.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ahhhhh.... thank you masta...

i swear pretty much every idea ive put to use on my txt, ive gotten from EeePee...

so how are you likin the revolver motor?

Last edited by dieselfuel; 07-06-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all your feedback, guess I will try it out, since it looks wayyyy better than with cantilevers.

Thanks.

Rodrigo.
TamiyaFreak is offline   Reply With Quote