Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Diff Reversal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Diff Reversal

I've searched a bit, and I can't seem to find any good pics of the inside of a TXT axle. What I'd like to know is - can you flip the diffs around inside the axle to make the wheels spin in reverse?

The reason I ask, is I had an idea to eliminate torque twist. You'd need to run the axles off seperate transmissions. If you flipped the diff in the rear axle, you'd have to run the rear tranny in reverse to spin the wheels forward. The front axle and transmission would run as usual, and this would make each axle/tranny pull on the chassis in opposite directions, canceling each other out in terms of torque twist. I suppose each axle may still try to lift a tire on opposite corners, but I think the weight of the rig would help keep that to a minimum.

I know with proper chassis and suspension setup this wouldn't be necessary, but it is just something I have been thinking about. And with seperate transmissions and speed controllers, digs would be easy as pie.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 10:55 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

sounds really really complicated and heavy. a shafty clod
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Unnecessary? Perhaps. But it isn't that complicated - you just need to flip the diff in one axle, and run two trannies and speed controls. And with each tranny only running one axle, you could get away with smaller units like a Pede or a Stealth. I suppose it is a lot like a "Shaftie Clod". I like the scale-ness of shaft driven trucks, and you could do both front and rear digs very easily.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 07-17-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

the biggest problem that torque twist causes is on the chassis. you can get rid of most of your torque twist many ways.

i usually love crazy builds but this one might just be a little too out there.
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:42 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think you can do it with TwinForce axles; I remember putting the gears in wrong once which made the rear tires spin backwards. Doing that and then flipping the axle upside down should work. You wouldn't be able to do this with a TXT though since the gears only go in one way.
Mazlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

if your hearts set on doing it. just use maxx axles. you absolutely can flop the diff in them
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
Powered by Awesome

one idea i have been playin with is adding a gearbox to both txt axles to allow digs and whatnot (clod style)... to make your life easy... just switch the leads on the motor and make the motor run backwards... and no... there is no way to flip the gearing around to make it run backwards (in the axle)...
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:42 AM   #8

I'm still pushing the 'gear down the diff' way of doing it, to get rid of some of the torque transmitted through the driveshaft. 2:1 gear reduction in an axle for a crawler really isn't enough. My $.02 anyway. I may get around to it someday. It's just a matter of finding 2 gears that fit.
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero
I'm still pushing the 'gear down the diff' way of doing it, to get rid of some of the torque transmitted through the driveshaft. 2:1 gear reduction in an axle for a crawler really isn't enough. My $.02 anyway. I may get around to it someday. It's just a matter of finding 2 gears that fit.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37896
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Owning a Jugg and knowing it's insides like I do, I agree with TwistedXT, I can't see any way of turning the diff around. The "hoghead" is molded in such a way that the diff can only go in one certain way.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1
Owning a Jugg and knowing it's insides like I do, I agree with TwistedXT, I can't see any way of turning the diff around. The "hoghead" is molded in such a way that the diff can only go in one certain way.
correct, you can install the tranny in the frame facing backwards and run the motor reversed and 80% of the torque twist will be gone, It works on the 2.2's Ive built, with TLT axles and will be testing with the juggy Im building now
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Really? Cool! Maybe that is why I don't have such drastic twist as others I've seen. I just installed my tranny backwards because of space issues. Very cool!
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1
Really? Cool! Maybe that is why I don't have such drastic twist as others I've seen. I just installed my tranny backwards because of space issues. Very cool!

It is and I have no clue why it works.......I just stumbled upon it reworking a rig for a guy
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:43 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks for the info. Looks like I may go with a Maxx hybrid style setup anyway, to save some cash.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

its called counter spin drive and i think its mainly done on tlts.
clod booster is offline   Reply With Quote