Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: Marmot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking Marmot

TXT section seems a little slow as of late, so I thought I'd start a new build thread all of you could help me on. Got a pretty good idea of what I want and have rounded up most of the parts already.

Progress so far:

I've started by locking the front axle with Shoe Goo (works great on my TLT). Rear was locked when I bought it.

Bottom of the frame was already chopped, and the links were reloacted. I'll make a skid plate out some ABS plastic I have kicking around.

Chopped front and rear frame rails and put on some Savage shocks. Looks exactly like this guys setup:

Stock trans with a GD-600 and a 55t Integy with a 13t pinion in the trans a 18t on the motor (I think its 18, I forget- came with gd setup). Revo driveshafts with metal yokes on axles and trans. Might have to play with gearing after I get everything assembled.

I'll be running Maximizer beadlocks (3/4 offset) with LST tires with no foams (wheels hold air inside, and I'll test them out this way and make changes as needed). I have some alum wheel adaptors that will fit the stock hex/ wheel (12mm to 14mm adaptor)

I'll be running a Super Rooster esc, a Traxxas TQ2 or 3 radio with matching receiver.

Now the part I need help/ advice on is the steering setup.

I was thinking of running 1/4 scale servos. Maybe only go with front wheel steering for now and see how it works out.

I haven't chose a servo yet, but Tower has 3 servos that are all pretty much the same from what I can tell, so most likly I'll go with either the Tower brand or the Hobbico instead of the more expensive Hitec (TS-80, CS-80 and 805BB).

Can I run the quarter scale servo through the Traxxas receiver and SR with a 3000mah NimH (7.2v) without problems, or will I have to use a seprate pack for steering duty? How badly would the 1/4 scale affect runtimes in that configuration?

I was hoping to do a behind-the-axle steering setup, but it looks like the 1/4 scales are to big to fit in there. Most likly I'll just run it in the standard spot out front or standup up style ontop of one of the axle tubes.

Anyone have any advice on mounting the 1/4 scale servo with this type of shock setup?
wonder squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

I agree, a dang slow TXT forum!

If the wheelbase is much over 14 inches, two wheel steering will suck. Mine at a 15.5 inch wheelbase would take like 4 more forward and reverses than my 4WS 16 inch Clod. At 14 inches it becomes tolerable, but still not that great. And you'll be wider than me, making it even worse. Like you said, try it out...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Talking

Uh oh. I'm sitting at 15 1/2" wheelbase right now.

Do you think theres any sense in running two 1/4 scale servos (one front one rear)? The 645 seems a little weak turning All-t's on my TLT so I'd think LST's would kill it.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

nice project but my opinion is run standard size servos bender makes an awesome behind the axle steering system , the 1/4 scale servo's are so big that they take a way from that more scale look just my .02 .
kaaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Default Ufa

that thing looks like a giant rbx chassis!
just my two cents!
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaaina
nice project but my opinion is run standard size servos bender makes an awesome behind the axle steering system , the 1/4 scale servo's are so big that they take a way from that more scale look just my .02 .
I'm not shooting for scale on this build. I just want something super capable that will go almost anywhere its pointed.

Anyone have some advice on the 1/4 scale power issue?

I read somewhere here on the boards about using a Novak regulater, but not 100% sure how to or what to buy. I cheacked tower and they have this

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJF6&P=0

Not sure if thats what I need, but I think its suppose to be hooked directly the battery and then to the servo so it regulates and keeps a constant 6v @3 amps to both servo and receiver.

Anyone able to shoot me straight here?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:13 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i wired my novak regulator between my battery and esc with an extra set of connectors. then plug it right into my reciever, you can opt to hooking it straight to your servos to avoid running that much power through the reciever itself if you want to.
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peej410
i wired my novak regulator between my battery and esc with an extra set of connectors. then plug it right into my reciever, you can opt to hooking it straight to your servos to avoid running that much power through the reciever itself if you want to.
Was the part in the link above the correct piece? I'm not fully understanding what you did cause I don't have the parts here with me, just trying to peace it all together before I start buying.

The regulator looks like it has 2 main power wires, 3 servo wires, and an on/off switch.

How do you have the main power running exactly? You just spliced the main power from the battery, hooked up the esc like normal, and then the splice goes to the servo?

From the servo splice one goes to the receiver, one goes to the regulater?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

yes thats the right link. i plug my servo regulator into my battery and the servo regulator then plugs into my esc. the three wires go into the "batt" hole in the reciever. you then remove the red wire from your ESCs plug to disable the bec.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by peej410
yes thats the right link. i plug my servo regulator into my battery and the servo regulator then plugs into my esc. the three wires go into the "batt" hole in the reciever. you then remove the red wire from your ESCs plug to disable the bec.
Did you splice the main power wires, or are there two connectors on the end?

Or are you running multiple batteries in your setup?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:22 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

theres a total of six connectors thats why i used the word plug. if i need to i can move the regulator from truck to truck. if your going to keep it in only one truck just splice them into the corresponding battery leads on your ESC
Old 09-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Talking

I just received the servos and regulater. The servos are damn big, much larger than I had expected.

I'll be using some 3/4 x 3/4 90 degree angle to build the mounts (I have to rebuild the lower links/ shock mounts anyways)

Hey Peej, I have the regulater now but noticed theres only one set of main power wires (one red, one black). Did you just T that inbetween the battery power on your esc? Answer me or I'm going to read the instructions
Old 09-05-2006, 10:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

heh yes read the directions!! i just added a section of wire as a T and put connectors on either side.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

That is funny. That was my first rig. Looks like it is evolving nicely.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Talking

ITS ALIVE!!! The marmot now crawls under its on power.

My front end ShoeGoo job came undone. The setup in my tlt rig is still solid though. I'm not sure if theres just too much torque going through the bigger diff, or if I somehow fudged the ShoeGoo job. Either way, I'll be pulling it apart for a fix. Anyone here running shoegoo in a big axled truck?

I've only installed the front servo so far, but everything seems to work without a hitch. Love the turning power so far. No foamed LST's on carpet are not a problem at all. Although the turning circle is huge with a 15.5" wheelbase.

I'm wondering if I can get away with 2 servos without the regulater now. What the hell though, I've already spent the mula on it, might aswell just go ahead and put it on when I do the rear steer.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
That is funny. That was my first rig. Looks like it is evolving nicely.
Actually I just grabbed that pic for a reference. I was looking at going with that style setup. Only real problem I see with it is the torque twist. But that may be workable.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Talking

Just a quick update thing here.

I was having trouble using ShoeGoo to lock the front end up. After two tries I decided it was time for something different. It's strange though, my TLT rig has been running strong with both diffs ShoeGoo'd.

This time, I used red loctite. Before I even had the axle put together it was locked TIGHT. I'm hoping I never need to open the diff again, because I'm sure that would probably be near impossible.

I've also siped my LST's. Two so far. I've only tested it inside so far so I'm still waiting to go for a run on the rocks.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel
Just a quick update thing here.

I was having trouble using ShoeGoo to lock the front end up. After two tries I decided it was time for something different. It's strange though, my TLT rig has been running strong with both diffs ShoeGoo'd.

This time, I used red loctite. Before I even had the axle put together it was locked TIGHT. I'm hoping I never need to open the diff again, because I'm sure that would probably be near impossible.

I've also siped my LST's. Two so far. I've only tested it inside so far so I'm still waiting to go for a run on the rocks.

I use 2 part 5 minute epoxy. works like a charm
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote