Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut

Notices

Thread: GD-600 mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default GD-600 mounting

never done a gd-600 gear reduction before and how do you modd them to fit the txt trans. Will it stopp stall with 55t lathe motors with moab xl?
Bam Bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
never done a gd-600 gear reduction before and how do you modd them to fit the txt trans. Will it stopp stall with 55t lathe motors with moab xl?
the hardest part is you have to turn down the shaft (where the prop would go) so it will fit a pinion gear, or depending on the pinion size just drill that out to fit the shaft...i put one on my txt and it really isnt all that difficult to do, no pics of the install tho.... here is a link

Installed a GD-600 gear reduction

Last edited by mrmaxxman; 07-22-2007 at 09:13 AM.
mrmaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I recently installed one(does the chassis look familiar Ron?(mrmaxxman)) and it's not hard at all. I disassembled the GD and chucked the output shaft in a drill and ground it down with a file. I was careful not to nick up the shaft but it really doesn't matter that much because it rides on bearings. Then I used a dremel to ground down the housing where the pinion shaft is to fit in the TXT motor plate. I also ground down the little "bump" in the TXT plate itself. Depending on how you want the GD oriented; sideways like the picture,sorry it's so blurry, it's pretty much bolt on(I removed a little tab on the GD that was blocking the screw hole to mount the plate to the tranny); or up and down the you'll have to drill holes in the motor plate. The only other thing to remember is if you mount the tranny in the stock direction with the motors in front the motor rotation will need to be reversed to compensate for the GD reversing the rotation of the drivetrain.

hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

ha ha sure does,
mrmaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

question? is it better to use a bigger gear on the gd600 shaft or the motor
Herzog-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzog-racing View Post
question? is it better to use a bigger gear on the gd600 shaft or the motor

It depends on the gear ratio you want. There's a sticky in this section with a breakdown of the final drive ratios. Remember the GD uses a 48pitch pinion instead of the TXTs 32pitch pinion. There are 3 sizes available specifically for the GD, 18t, 15t, and 12t. Also if you buy a GD new it will come with a 18t pinion for a 2.5 :1 gear reduction, a larger gear than that and your pretty much negating(sp?) the effects of the GD. I run a 18t 48p pinion on the motor and a 12t 32p pinion on the GD for a final drive ratio of 106:1. I haven't tested it yet but most people say you want the final drive ratio around 100:1, but it really depends on your driving style.
hawnmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 02:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmaxxman View Post
the hardest part is you have to turn down the shaft (where the prop would go) so it will fit a pinion gear, or depending on the pinion size just drill that out to fit the shaft...i put one on my txt and it really isnt all that difficult to do, no pics of the install tho.... here is a link

Installed a GD-600 gear reduction
this is the same way i did my gd600, and it works fine.
87Wagneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have 15t pinions with 5mm bores on mine. works dandy. The gd's were originally installed pionted up, I pointed them down, which meant I had to install the gear boxes on the motor plate, put the motor plate into the tranny, then bolted the motors to the gear boxes using allen head screws and a modified allen wrench. a lot more work, but it lowered the CG by dropping the motors almost 1-1/4"
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote