Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: S&R Pajero Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default S&R Pajero Build

Well a while back my friend let me borrow his Axial crawler and I just had to get into the crawler scene. Went out and bought a Losi MRC rtr and have been having a blast with it ever since. Now I am ready to attempt my first scale rig. Did some research and decided on buying the Tamiya Pajero CC01 kit. Been loving it ever since. My plans are to build a Search & Rescue Pajero, based off a local rig around my area. So far I have assembled most of it, shaved the front knuckles for better steering and droop. Ordered a Traxxas high torque water proof steering servo, and am waiting for a little extra money to pick up a new radio controller, reciever and battery pack. Sorry about the small pics. Came straight from my blackberry.

Last edited by FuriousCal; 07-13-2009 at 04:05 PM.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Did a little painting the other night. I can't decide if I like it or not. Still got some details to do, and it will probably look better once I get all the bumpers and roofrack on. Doing the front knuckle mod sure makes a differene!
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Put on the bumpers, lights, and spare tire.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

I think that it is starting to look pretty good.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

So I took this thing out for its first run and it is a freakin' blast. As soon as I got home I started modding it. I love these things.

Glad I didn't spend to much time on the paint. Gloss is no good for these things when you wheel em. Probably will repaint flat black and grey, and paint the smaller details such as lights, ect. When I got home from this first run. I put 1/8" nuts as spacers under all shocks. Also lifted the front body mount by 3/8". Will get pics soon.

I took my MRC wheels and tires and fitted them to the Pajero. This was before I did the lift. With the lift they look just about perfect, only need to do some minor fender trimming.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well I trimmed the fenders out to fit the Losi tires and wheels. It looks really good. When I finished I took it out for a run, ran it for a bout 15 mins, then the dang servo started squeeling like it was stripped. I took it apart and sure enough there were metal and plastic parts mixed in with the grease. Damn that servo went out quick. Traxxas 2070 Digital. Will not be purchasing one of these again. Going down to the lhs to see if I can pick up a new one before my vacation. Need to get it running again because I was looking forward to doing some out of town wheelin'. I have been following the RC4wd vendor forum on an aftermarket steering system for the CC01. Anyone know of another place to pick one up besides the guy in Germany? Will post some pics of trimmed fenders soon.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:54 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

You could just get new gears for the traxxas servo. About 4 bucks. That'd get you up and running quick.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I thought about that, but if they are just going to strip again, I will probably just upgrade.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:01 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Sometimes you get lucky with the plastic gears, most often you dont. I have a hand me down hitec hs645mg in my cc01. It works well
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Well sh$t! So I road tripped it down to Santa Cruz this last week to visit my aunt and was hoping to get some good scale pics of the Pajero on the beach. The night I got down there I was driving it around in the dark (keep in mind I don't have the gear reduction ye, so the thing freakin' hauls) and I smashed it into a pole. It totaly cracked the chassis right down the front. I will post some pics tonight when I tear it down. I was thinking about epoxying it or plastic welding it, but the enclosed area where the diff gears are is pretty tore up. Don't know if It will be a tight seal again. Can one purchase just the chassis from Tamiya or am I stuck trying to fix this or finiding a used one?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

you can get just the tub on ebay pretty cheap.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I have seen them from time to time. Didn't see any one there at the present. I am pissed, I want to get my rig back up and going so I can run it! I love these things.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
On the lookout for Rocks

Here is the chassis at tamiyausa.com

The Part # is 335134.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Well I was contemplating plastic welding the cracks in my chassis, and had decided I would try it. Took my Jero over to my friend's house and he wanted to see it drive. So I chucked it on top the hood of my truck and drove it up my windshield. Must have had some radio interference because it took off full throttle of my Frontier with a 5" lift sittin on 33's. Trashed the chassis, steering servo arm busted, and I am sure there are other things broken. Didn't do anything to the body but scratch it up a little. Anyways I ordered a new chassis off Ebay today. Can't wait to get it.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Got my new chassis in the other day and got the Jero up and running again. Also ordered a set of ball bearings to get this thing runnin smoother. Really wish someone would come out with the better stock steering set-up. I was going to start cutting into my new chassis to do the Pantablo setup but I just happened to be looking through my local CC01/XC class rules, and servo has to be mounted in stock location. Bummer.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Default Nice looking

Good job with the paint scheme. I think the stock wheels look better on it, or you could paint those blue rings red to help out with the overall look of the rig.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Good job with the paint scheme. I think the stock wheels look better on it, or you could paint those blue rings red to help out with the overall look of the rig.
Actually the paint is going to get changed. Something flat. I threw those colors on it cuz I had paint lying around. The beadlocks are going to get painted black. I agree though the blue looks funky with the red. Was not intentional.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Well, I am going to go grab all the parts to do the 4-link upgrade. I am going to use threadall and aluminum tubing. Going to see if I got any alluminm brackets around that I can mod for the shock mount. Also think I am going to go ahead and by the gear reducttion unit. Should have some pics on the build.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Did the links the other night. Ended up using 3/16" All Thread, Traxxas ball ends, and found some lock strikes from my cabinet shop that I modded to make work for the shock mounts. Still got a little work to do to clean up the look, and need to get some shorter screws for the shocks. Drove it around and it is like night and day how much less it gets hung up now. Sorry for the bad pics, shot them with my blackberry.