Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Gears jumping?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Gears jumping?

I'm having a problem with the gear for the rear axle jumping out of place. Sounds like the gear is stripping, but its just skipping. The gear isn't stripped at all, lubed up and everything. What have you guys done to fix this? Im running a 45t on 3s with no gear reduction (I know, over kill but its so much fun!) Im sure that is the reason this started but how can I fix this without a GD and/or smaller motor?
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Is it in reverse that you hear it? If so, it's from the top case flexing and allowing the gears so skip. I have it happen all the time. Any well used CC-01 will have it happen.

Maybe GPM will produce an aluminum top case to stop the flex issue.

Are you going to be at the TTC? If so, you can see what I've done to try to stop the gear skipping noise/flexing top case. I'll have the CC-01 rig as a stand in/extra for the photos/video.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Is this a pretty common problem? Just asking cause I have never had this happen. If it's a well used chassis, could it have anything to do with bushings versus bearings?
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
Is it in reverse that you hear it? If so, it's from the top case flexing and allowing the gears so skip. I have it happen all the time. Any well used CC-01 will have it happen.

Maybe GPM will produce an aluminum top case to stop the flex issue.

Are you going to be at the TTC? If so, you can see what I've done to try to stop the gear skipping noise/flexing top case. I'll have the CC-01 rig as a stand in/extra for the photos/video.
It's forward and reverse. It makes it really hard to drive. The wheels don't even have to be on the ground, I can hold it up and it still does it. And no not gonna be at the TTC, I'll check it out the next time I see you and you have it with.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i had this problem, make sure all your screws on the top plate are TIGHT especially the one right to the right of the motor
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

chassis flex would be my guess, but maybe take the rear locker apart and see if the screws are tight.
snax had this issue a few weeks ago where the screws in the locker had been backing out and rubbing inside the housing.

i am working with GPM to make a chassis brace as we speak.
i just need to get my ass in gear.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I fixed it yesterday. When it first started I tore the rear axle apart and all three screws were sitting on the bottom of the case! well that wasn't it. Yesterday I checked every last screw, three of the four gear cover screws had stripped holes. Well the only thing I had that was large enough was 6/32. So now the upper and lower gear covers are held on with 6/32 screws. Now I can drive it again!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman2010 View Post
I fixed it yesterday. When it first started I tore the rear axle apart and all three screws were sitting on the bottom of the case! well that wasn't it. Yesterday I checked every last screw, three of the four gear cover screws had stripped holes. Well the only thing I had that was large enough was 6/32. So now the upper and lower gear covers are held on with 6/32 screws. Now I can drive it again!
Your making me want to open up my rear axle and add some lock tight to the screws.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimgard View Post
Your making me want to open up my rear axle and add some lock tight to the screws.
I highly recommend it!
Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I just dealt with this and found out after buying all new gears that it was that the top plate screws had stripped in the chassis...so I just used longer 3mm
screws and a locknut at the bottom of the chassis and no probs since
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote