Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My first cc01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default My first cc01

well guys i got my first cc01 and its currently being put together. Im loving how well everything goes together. Im already wanting to figure out a 4 link setup for this thing. I also dug up my old blackfoot body im going to have to stuff on there some how. Ill be painting it up once i get a new hose for my airbrush and ill post pics when i do. If theres any suggestions during the building phase let me know! ive already locked the front diff using blackfoots method (at least i think i saw it on a post from blackfoot). And thats about all i got.
twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
I joined the Band!

Cool! The CC-01 preforms well out of the box with out to many mods. The front locker mod is a must and I see you already did that. Make sure you use thread lock on the drive shafts and you might as well buy the GPM steering kit.

Next is decent tires and rims.
grimgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I was gonna give you a link to my thread, but I see you already found it. The way I did my links(holes drilled in the side of the molded in frame rails) will give you the most clearance, I see so many people upgrading the links, but keeping the stock mounting locations. God knows why they bother upgrading to true links if they are loosing even more belly clearance with upgraded links then the stock ones, foolish IMO.

The correct way to stiffen up your susp and gain the maximum belly clearance.

blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
I was gonna give you a link to my thread, but I see you already found it. The way I did my links(holes drilled in the side of the molded in frame rails) will give you the most clearance, I see so many people upgrading the links, but keeping the stock mounting locations. God knows why they bother upgrading to true links if they are loosing even more belly clearance with upgraded links then the stock ones, foolish IMO.

The correct way to stiffen up your susp and gain the maximum belly clearance.

Just to put my 2 cents in on this one.............I upgraded the links to "real" links and left them in the stock location. Here is my reasoning, I did not loose any belly clearance, may not have gained any but the upgrades are alot more rigid (less flex = more stable and responsive suspension). The next reason I left them in the stock location is to protect the drive shaft, links are alot cheaper and easyer to replace than a driveshaft if they were to break but they are less likely to break than the driveshaft anyway. Just my thoughts.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
Just to put my 2 cents in on this one.............I upgraded the links to "real" links and left them in the stock location. Here is my reasoning, I did not loose any belly clearance, may not have gained any but the upgrades are alot more rigid (less flex = more stable and responsive suspension). The next reason I left them in the stock location is to protect the drive shaft, links are alot cheaper and easyer to replace than a driveshaft if they were to break but they are less likely to break than the driveshaft anyway. Just my thoughts.

I'm not too sure. I have to make my CC-01 keep up with SCX's and killer 1.9 based rigs. More ground clearance the better. I really enjoy my more recent link placement. High and have yet to get hung up on anything. Driveline hasn't seen any extra abuse, if a rock is in the center, it's in the center, not the sides so links on the sides still won't protect my driveshaft. Plus, I'm not sure how anyone would break the stock Tamiya driveshaft, it's heavy steel. Stronger than many suspension links.

Better side shot. You can see how much more room I have under the chassis with running bent links mounted high. Running longer links also allow better movement throughout the suspension travel. It also lessens the axle "walk" or "steer" that happens with short links.

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
My links hang below my drive on the SWB MAN.

I would also like to know how you are gonna break a CC01 driveshaft? The rock would break before that hardened steel ever would. On my LWB Defender, I used a $7 pede shaft that comes 2 in a package and my Axial Links are $20, so how does that figure to be cheaper to replace a link? If you are using ball end links, you did lose clearance over the stock links also.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote