Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My CC-01 Jeep Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My CC-01 Jeep Project

My CC-01 Jeep

Just bought this on ebay and waiting for it to turn up.

Hoping to use it for trailing. As you can see the body needs a respray.

I have never resprayed anything before so some tips would be usefull and what type of spray paint to use.

I am new to these cars so am really looking forward to using it and working on it

Last edited by jayuk022002; 05-12-2010 at 03:54 AM.
jayuk022002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk022002 View Post
My CC-01 Jeep

Just bought this on ebay and waiting for it to turn up.

Hoping to use it for trailing. As you can see the body needs a respray.

I have never resprayed anything before so some tips would be usefull and what type of spray paint to use.

I am new to these cars so am really looking forward to using it and working on it
Sweet! For a respray all you need is some sand paper, Tamiya TS paint, and Tamiya masking tape (so you can do a two tone paint job)

1. Sand down any rough areas (assuming you have removed the windshield and anything else)

2. wash off the body with soap and water

3. let the body dry

4. wash your hands

5. paint the whole body

6. let the paint dry

7. wash your hands again

8. tape off the body

9. spray your second color

10. your done!

For some simple mods check out my thread Unimog CC-01 This is my Jeep wrangler I put a unimog body on it and then went back to the Jeep body but that is neither here nor there, my point is that there are some good mods and it might give you some ideas to help your Jeep do better on the trails.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 05-12-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Cheers thanks for the tips. Read through your thread and it looks really nice with both bodies. Have given me plenty ideas for mine!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

It arrived today. First mods MRC wheels and tyres. Am going to raise the body slightly to avoid slight rubbing.

Came with a lathe motor which gives me just the right torque and still has some speed.

Tonight i hope to put some leds in the lights and start preparing the body for spraying. Not sure what colours yet though!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Sweet! Glad it came in one pice! we all know how UPS can ruin things in the mail.

What colors are you going to use?

Before you lift the rear you might want to consider the GPM lower rear shock mounts because they will lift the rear a smidge and you are going to want them anyways if you plan on doing metal links.

I would also paint the red beadlocks to match your truck.

http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...oducts_id=5508

Just a few easy mods/tips

1. lock the front differential (this is easy and will make your front diffs locked just like your rears and help crawls/4 wheel drive better) Open up the front diff you will see 3 smaller gears (spider gears) take one out and put between the other two and put everything back together.) This will lock the front diff and if you ever want ot revert to open diffs all you need to do it put the gear back in its stock location.

2. Take of the bumper skid plat thing and get some Sheet metal (the kind they use in duct work) and make your own skid. This will help with your approach angle and help you get up and over stuff.

3. There is a Steering kit that is a bit better than the stock and helps with steering slop. You can get it on E-bay or from GPM's web site.

4. Weight the front tires but not to much.

5. There are lots of cheaper light kits sold and they work just as good as the Tamiya brand so dont waste your money on a Tamiya LED light kit. (RC4WD has them and RPM has them) http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=LED & http://rc4wdstore.com/2/index.php?cP...fcf7e8df644556

6. I would also do the aluminum links for the rears and the 3 link mod as well.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 05-15-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Here are some picture so you can see how the GPM rear lower shock mounts will lift your rear so your tires do not rub, as well as the front skid, and how the rear links are set up.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for all the great tips im very gratefull.

Neither of my diffs are locked at the moment. Is doing the rear the same process as the front one?

Also by locking the diffs will it damage the gears in any way seeing as i still have a little speed? (think the motor is around 35 turns)

Im definatly going to make a front skid plate like yours as it looks good, practical and looks easy to make.

I will have a hunt around on ebay for the links as they do look a good improvement.

I was thinking of keeping it black but not 100% sure yet.

I made my own light kit (i work in electronics!) and have installed the front lights. I would like to get some spots for the front which may be a little harder to find.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanks for all the great tips im very gratefull.

Neither of my diffs are locked at the moment. Is doing the rear the same process as the front one?

Also by locking the diffs will it damage the gears in any way seeing as i still have a little speed? (think the motor is around 35 turns)

Im definatly going to make a front skid plate like yours as it looks good, practical and looks easy to make.

I will have a hunt around on ebay for the links as they do look a good improvement.

I was thinking of keeping it black but not 100% sure yet.

I made my own light kit (i work in electronics!) and have installed the front lights. I would like to get some spots for the front which may be a little harder to find.
Your welcome! It will not hurt the gears in any way to lock the front or rear diffs.

The rears should be locked already if I remember corectly there was an option to lock or leav them unlocked.

Sweet on the DIY light kit!

I'll post a few pics fron the manual. You should be able to print one from online somewhere...maybe Tamiya web site.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

how are you likeing the dirtgrabbers ? i have a set and havnt been to impresed with them on light terrain but on rocks they seam ok
ChevyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyLuv View Post
how are you likeing the dirtgrabbers ? i have a set and havnt been to impresed with them on light terrain but on rocks they seam ok
I have found them to work well on the few runs i have had so far. Although its too early to tell really
Old 05-17-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Does the G parts bag contain all the plastic gears for the cc-01 for the whole jeep?

Would like to get some spares for it!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Does the G parts bag contain all the plastic gears for the cc-01 for the whole jeep?

Would like to get some spares for it!
yes it should include all + the locking diff part
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have found them to work well on the few runs i have had so far. Although its too early to tell really
Arn't your tires the Losi Rock claws? lol I think he was asking me since my Tires are the RC4WD Dirt grabbers on RC4WD 1.9 OEM steel beadlock rims

They are great for scale! but if your looking for the best on the rocks I would go with the rock claws.

Quote:

You can get the links from GPM or make your own or use some Axial links/spare parts like I did. Just email GPM and they will send you a invoice to pay for the parts.

http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...oducts_id=5904

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 05-17-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Today i have locked the rear diff and i must say what a difference that makes. Well worth it. Used the method for the front with some extra steps in the mod.

I added a spar spider gear that i had but i grinded the back and a little off the top to make it nice and snug!

Well worth it!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Today i have locked the rear diff and i must say what a difference that makes. Well worth it. Used the method for the front with some extra steps in the mod.

I added a spar spider gear that i had but i grinded the back and a little off the top to make it nice and snug!

Well worth it!
i never ran my cc-01 unlocked in the rear. I did run it unlocked in the front, and in my opinion its almost more fun to run it unlocked. I have 1.9 cut slingers, with both diffs locked. this litterly goes through ANYTHING. ive had it in a mudhole that was probably 1 foot deep. it still went through it ( i could see the antenna lol)
traxxas4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Well worth it!
Nice work! keep us informed!
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

This lot turned up today. Yes i bought another one! Car has only ever been used once on grass.

Fully boxed with all the bits. Pajero shell fully boxed with all bits to finish off (never been used). Wrangler shell has been used.

I think i might be getting alittle addicted to these!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Updates:

Front skid/bumper plate

5mm body lift front and rear.

5mm suspension lift front and rear.

Here is a comparison to my standard jeep on the left and my moded jeep on the right.

As you can see it makes a nice little difference. No more rubbing at all on full extents.

Next mod to do is the 4 link mod. Going to make some brackets this week for it!
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Nice! your addicted now! Have lots of fun!
Old 05-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Nice! your addicted now! Have lots of fun!

Certainly am!

More progress

Found some old shocks from one of my old buggys that fit the rear just nice

Yes the shocks are upside down. Thought i would be different!