Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Motor or pinion issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Motor or pinion issue?

I'm having problems with my cc01 and I've pretty much taken it apart! At least now I know how to take it apart and front and rear end is locked! When the motor and pinion are not installed in the gearbox, it is essentially a rolling chassis. Once I put the motor in, it has trouble rolling. Could this be a pinion problem? I bought a 48p 20t pinion so that I could try my cc01 before my tamiya pinions(metric) come in. I ordered the 16 and 17 tooth set. When I run the cc01 with my current 20t, it would run for a bit and then stall and stop running. Maybe the gears are not meshing correctly? I've had it with this truck for this weekend! Help needed asap!
LJ_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

On the stock tamiya motor mount it has 2 motor settings 16T and 20T. Did you have it on the 20T (further away from the spur gear) setting and is the motor getting very hot. Also you won't be able to use the 17T at all unless you make a custom motor mount. In my opinion tho the 16T is still too fast so I went with a higher turn motor to go much slower. Hope this helps.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was unaware of the 49pitch tamiya 16t or 20t pinion setting, hopefully it'll run when my 16t pinion arrives
Old 09-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It will run no problems with the 20T just has to be mounted in the right holes. I will see if I can find the picture in the manual for you.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Here is the manual for the Touareg but is the same for any CC01.
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...YhqtV2T2y1RCHA
Go to page 4 which has the motor mount information.

Cheers Jarrod
Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Looks like I'm missing the motor plate, lol
Old 09-05-2010, 08:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_24 View Post
Looks like I'm missing the motor plate, lol
Really! How is you motor staying in place then?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
Really! How is you motor staying in place then?
the thin silver motor plate is what I am missing, I have the black plastic piece
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Oh OK. that is there to stop the motor mount melting as it is only plastic. It is not necessary unless your motor is getting upto ridiculous temps.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Oh OK. that is there to stop the motor mount melting as it is only plastic. It is not necessary unless your motor is getting upto ridiculous temps.

I might as well get a gpm motor mount then, after I make sure that my cc01 still runs
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just needing to ask, are you saying that you installled a standard 48 pitch 20 tooth pinion? Not a Tamiya metric pinion? If that is the case, there is your binding problem. The standard 48 pitch and Tamiya metric pitch pinions are no where close to the same thing. Well, they are close, but totally different. The mesh of the gears is off and causing your problems. The 16 and 20 tooth settings will have no effect if you are running a standard pinion. Ran long enough, it will destroy your spur gear.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvydty1 View Post
Just needing to ask, are you saying that you installled a standard 48 pitch 20 tooth pinion? Not a Tamiya metric pinion? If that is the case, there is your binding problem. The standard 48 pitch and Tamiya metric pitch pinions are no where close to the same thing. Well, they are close, but totally different. The mesh of the gears is off and causing your problems. The 16 and 20 tooth settings will have no effect if you are running a standard pinion. Ran long enough, it will destroy your spur gear.
Yea, I ordered up the tamiya 16t and 17t pinion so I dont break my spur gear
Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

true, had the same problem...it will also be really noizy!! have the 16T and is very quite.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Truck runs fine with the 16tooth pinion. But, when I hit the throttle, it makes a grinding sound which lasts for about one second. I noticed that the truck runs in 3 wheel drive on occassion, would this problem be a CVD issue? Are there longer CVD's out there?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Have you locked the front diff? If you have then it could possibly be a CVD issue. I use the GPM steel offerings and have had no issues like this. If it is an open front diff you are experiencing torque twist from the rear axle that twists the body and raises one wheel which then spins freely while the other side has no drive. I have locked both the rear and front and it climbs a lot better but has a smaller turning radius.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Have you locked the front diff? If you have then it could possibly be a CVD issue. I use the GPM steel offerings and have had no issues like this. If it is an open front diff you are experiencing torque twist from the rear axle that twists the body and raises one wheel which then spins freely while the other side has no drive. I have locked both the rear and front and it climbs a lot better but has a smaller turning radius.
yes I have locked the front diff! So I should probably get the GPM cvd?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just a question since I don't want to start a new thread for this. I am new to the CC-01 and I have just installed a 20T pinion. Obvuoisly I didn't realize that there where different types of pinion gears for the tamiya. What is the main difference from a regular 20T 48P and the tamiya? Could someone tell me a bit more? I know my truck makes lots of noise when running (I thought something wasn't right), so I started my search and here I am.
Also I have a tamiya CR-01 that is also a bit noisy... could this be the same problem ? Metric vs. ???
Also is there any way to tell a metric from a regular gear? I have tons of pinions so no idea if one is metric or not.
Please enlighten me on the problem...

Last edited by norbyx; 09-12-2010 at 11:49 PM.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:48 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Just a question since I don't want to start a new thread for this. I am new to the CC-01 and I have just installed a 20T pinion. Obvuoisly I didn't realize that there where different types of pinion gears for the tamiya. What is the main difference from a regular 20T 48P and the tamiya? Could someone tell me a bit more? I know my truck makes lots of noise when running (I thought something wasn't right), so I started my search and here I am.
Also I have a tamiya CR-01 that is also a bit noisy... could this be the same problem ? Metric vs. ???

Please enlighten me on the problem...
tamiya 48pitch is like kyoshos, both are metric! Also, I believe that you can only run 16t or 20t
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Here is a really good guide about gearing basics and also has info on the pitch side of things.

http://www.rccaraction.com/ME2/Sites...5200E5A3C25B85