Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 springs only/no dampers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default CC-01 springs only/no dampers!

Im sick of my scaler looking so stiff when it moves. Real trucks/suvs have BOUNCE when they move over obstacles, no matter what! SO in an effort to get a more realistic acting suspension Im trying to figure out how to completely remove the dampers and just have the springs do all the work. The kicker is that its a CC-01, and there isnt much you can do with the chassis to have a good spring only setup.

Ive got some ideas, namely pulling the metal rod out of the shocks and securing the upper part of the shock to the chassis so the spring can have something to keep it in place, and then using the bottom part of the shock somehow, or a custom lower mount. Any ideas?
JoeThePro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

If you want it undamped just take the oil out of the shock and put a small vent hole at the top and bottom of the shock or something.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
If you want it undamped just take the oil out of the shock and put a small vent hole at the top and bottom of the shock or something.
I already took the oil out. It helped some but theres still too much friction inside the shock. Its not from the air pressure i dont think, but more because of just the physical friction from the inside of the shock. I want zero friction!
Old 11-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #4

I never added shock oil to begin with. I got around the friction problem by placing a small drop of bearing oil on the shock shaft right where it enters the housing. Work the shock through its travel until the loosens the bite of the o-rings. Also, I used soft Associated springs in the front (black ones). Mine looks really realistic traversing terrain!
xraycajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

take out the oil and the damper/piston, and oil the o-ring too keep the shaft free

OR build a ring adapter on the a-arm and on the wheel well.. kinda like the CR-01 spring.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
take out the oil and the damper/piston, and oil the o-ring too keep the shaft free

OR build a ring adapter on the a-arm and on the wheel well.. kinda like the CR-01 spring.
I actually took all the oil out and also took the o rings out as they added friction. Its super smooth now and very stable. Ill look into the associated springs, can you get some that are a bit stiffer than stock tamiyas? Do they fit well?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #7

I did some tests a few minutes ago and taking out the oil and one of the o-ring seals works good for me on the stock dampers. On the rear I have old Kyosho dampers that are so smooth that only taking out the oil made them very nice.

I have a heavy roof rack made from 2.5 mm steel rod, with four aluminum flood lights attached (and some chichens in a cage, a cargobox and a high lift jack). That make the car top heavy enough to give it good inertia against moving to fast. Now, without the damper oil, the front raises really nice then accelerating and it compresses the rear suspension good. It looks very good then braking, dipping the front and elevating the rear.

Thanks for the tread. It made me do the work and not just thinking about it
kamikazekalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #8

Default Re: CC-01 springs only/no dampers!

This sound interesting. I'm trying to make my CC01 move more realistic.

At the moment mine is just stock, I find the rear bounces to much.

Still a bit confused on what to do.

Some have said softer springs, some say harder springs.

Some say thicker shock oil some say softer.

Until I found this thread no one said to remove the oil.

Has anyone made a video of there truck with no oil in?

The only mod I did was to get some RC4WD tire and wheels that are softer then the stock. Didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm also about to play with weights in the car, got some on order.

At the end of the day I'm not driving it at speed I want the suspension to look real, like it would on the 1:1 truck.
raymate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Try it. It's very reversible in about 10 minutes, so at worse, you can always put it back.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

http://www.beadlok.com/product/images/ASD/Z-D0004-1.jpg

just get some of these... they don't have shock oil in them
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeThePro View Post
Im sick of my scaler looking so stiff when it moves. Real trucks/suvs have BOUNCE when they move over obstacles, no matter what! SO in an effort to get a more realistic acting suspension Im trying to figure out how to completely remove the dampers and just have the springs do all the work. The kicker is that its a CC-01, and there isnt much you can do with the chassis to have a good spring only setup.

Ive got some ideas, namely pulling the metal rod out of the shocks and securing the upper part of the shock to the chassis so the spring can have something to keep it in place, and then using the bottom part of the shock somehow, or a custom lower mount. Any ideas?
the bouncing comes from functioning suspension

my truck does it when im goin over difficult terrain

Last edited by kongluc; 09-12-2014 at 01:13 PM.
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I agree. The cc-01 is pretty stiff out of the box. Best I've found to combat that is weight. A heavier rig will react more accurately to the terrain.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote